Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance (2012) vs. Ghost Rider (2007)

Daredevil

The Man Without Fear
Reaction score
I just saw Ghost Rider SoV yesterday and it was absolutely terrible. The first one wasn't great to begin with, though it was pretty entertaining, imo, even if from a more objective standpoint it wasn't very good. I'd give the first one a 6/10, it's extremely mediocre, but it has some awesome stuff in it at least. Peter Fonda was an epic Mephisto, Sam Elliot stole every scene with him in it, the music was surprisingly awesome, as you can hear here:

[YT]2xgUr74VvvI[/YT]

Hilariously, Ghost Rider the Spirit of Vengeance lacks every single thing that the first movie did pretty well. None of the music was memorable at all, and the camera was the most spaztastic camera that I have ever seen. It never stopped shaking and shaking... it was terrible. They completely forget about anything that the first film established as well. The flashback from the second one tries to show us how he made the deal and it was completely wrong about almost everything. They renamed Mephistopholes/Mephisto/The Devil into Roarke for some reason, and the Penance Stare isn't like it was in the first one at all.

Overall the second one is just hilarious in it's badness. It makes the first film look like a masterpiece in comparison.

On a related note, does anyone think that Ghost Rider might have been more well received if it weren't for just a few problems? Honestly, the problems it has are pretty major, like how terrible Blackheart and his gang are. I saw a picture of them again and they looked like a group of Twilight rejects lol. It should have just focused on Mephistopholes since Peter Fonda was an absolutely fantastic choice for him. The other problem is the inconsistent tone that it has. Sometimes it wants to be dark, and other times it wants to be cheesy and stupid (FTR the second one does this even worse than the first one). I did love the western/supernatural theme that it had when it wasn't being cheesy, so it's disappointing that they opted to make it have so many "hilarious" parts in it when it should have remained serious.

Last edited:
The first was good leaning toward mediocre, and this one was so bland it may as well have been made out of vanilla, which is kind of an insult to vanilla.

I mean don't get me wrong, it definitely had really cool moments (better cinematography, special effects and makeup even, with the exception of their take on the pennance stare, which was lame both in story and effect) but it wasn't even remotely as compelling as the first one, and the first one was only kinda fun.

Still think Nick Cage is an awesome Johnny Blaze though, and I did like the guy who could decay (don't even know the character name) but that is where my praises for casting/characterization end. Also liked the animated sequences.

Really though, at the end of the day it was completely forgettable.

I found the first movie quite enjoyable, were for half of SOV I was just shaking my head in disbelief. It had some good moments, but they were few and far between unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"