Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 11 "Rogues' Gallery" General Discussion

I'm noticing that the show seems to do really well with quiet, subtle moments. Like the stuff with Butch and his friend. It's mainly the times when they go for comedy or intense action that end up facepalm-worthy.

I hate to pile on, but Barbara continues to be the absolute worst part of the show. Hopefully her phone call will convince her to leave Jim alone but I suspect it will just lead to more relationship angst. :doh:

Other than that, it was a wonderful episode. I'd forgotten just how good this show really is. It took me a surprisingly long time to figure out the culprit so the mystery intrigued me, and the interrogation of the inmates was classic. Was anyone else freaked out by the black guy with the wonky eye? Gruber's awesome so I'm glad he'll return.

I'm pleased that Butch didn't turn on Fish because that would've almost certainly signified his doom and I rather like him. Penguin being put in his place was amusing because it sent him back to his groveling/seething ways. Harvey's line about how Penguin relaxed him like a banzai tree was hilarious.

One thing that's neat about this show is just how big the cast it. I love how there's always multiple storylines going on in a single episode.

I think "Gotham" is yet another example of how it's never a good idea to pair up your main/lead protagonist with a character that the producers want audiences to like right off from the start since it always ends up being ruined by the obligatory angst that the producers seem to fixated in bringing in right away...

1. Clark and Lana (Smallville)
2. Oliver and Laurel (Arrow)
3. "To a Lesser Extent"... Barry and Iris (The Flash)
4. Gordon and Barbara (Gotham)

And the sad thing is that the latter three of that list are pairings that are supposed to work out in the end, let alone be the "endgame" for each other and yet the producers handle it in such a way where people don't want to see the pairings any more after a certain while.lol

lol; at this point, I wouldn't even mind if they killed off "Barbara" and revealed at her funeral that "Barbara" was just her nickname/middle name and that she has a slightly younger sister who's real name is Barbara that Jim eventually hooks up with.lol

lol; at this point, I wouldn't even mind if they killed off "Barbara" and revealed at her funeral that "Barbara" was just her nickname/middle name and that she has a slightly younger sister who's real name is Barbara that Jim eventually hooks up with.lol

Or just make Barbara not Barbara at all & she is using a fake name lol

why will Jim be a detective again.......I doubt they will drag it out but still!

Hell with that. Marry Jim and Leslie. Reshape the canon. :o

I'll try to salvage something out of the Barbara/Renee quagmire and chose to believe that it's something of a reclamation of momentum that Montoya had after Gordon made her look stupid earlier on... that was quickly pissed away by diving deeper into this forced silliness with Barbara. If they can keep Montoya extricated from that garbage and have her be useful as an ally on GCPD (sooner than later), it's a win. One stupid character is preferable to two.

Interesting villain added to the mix this week and I'm glad it continues.

"Limping little chickenbutt second bananas" :funny:

Only one week or not, another break so soon just ****ing reeks.

It is idiotic to bring it back and then immediately go on another break. Why not just set the midseason premiere next week then?

Did anyone notice the Joker-ish laugh after the inmates trampled Dorothy?

I thought the episode was alright. Thompkins was by far the best part. She's acts the part as opposed to acting like she's in a comicbook which was refreshing. I didn't find the villain plot all that interesting but the butch subplot was fine. I pretty much walked out during the Barbara scenes so it really wasn't an issue for me. They also played two of my favorite 50s doo wop tunes , In the Still of the Night and Its All In the Game, at the end so that was nice even if the sequence itself was very Goodfellas-ish. Overall , a passable episode. Not spectacular but the show imo is at least improved alot from the those first episodes.

Eh....not really feeling this one too much.I wasn't crazy about the concept of Jim as a "screw" at Arkham,and I still hope they get him the hell outta there.I liked the way Mckenzie's playing Jim at this point.He seems more hopeful now.They certainly cant afford to have him beat into the ground right now,if they hope the show will last another few seasons.

Penguin's stuff was a ginormous waste.

Bruce and Alfred=M.I.A

I thought it was cool that they tried to do something with Cat & Ivy.(though,they never were besties in the comics were they?)

The Barbara stuff....really.Did they need to have Montoya be the one to break it off?Not only does she come off more ditzy than Babs,it pretty much robs Babs of any positive feeling that comes from seeing her want to "fight" for Jim.Now she's going back to him,basically 'cause she's got no one else.

It was also beyond odd that she thought an 11 year old girl apparently sounds like a grown woman.

Bullock made the best of his brief screen time.

Tompkins was good.Will probably take more for me to be sold on her for the future.

My favorite part was probably Fish's pudgy guy pulling the trigger on his old pal.I kinda figured that's what he'd do,but I think he backed the wrong horse.

Electrocutioner....*wince*

Just wanted to mention that The Asylum looked to me a lot like the Batman Begins video game version. Very cool.

Positives:
+Jim at Arkham
+Leslie, and her chemistry with Jim.
+Bullock. Especially his talk with Penguin. Hilarious.
+Maroni's talk with Penguin.
+The stuff with Butch. Great ending. Suspenseful, with a great tone. If only the show had more of these moments from the start.

Negatives:
-Ivy & Selina. One kid-villain is okay. Two of them hanging out = 'Gotham Babies'.
-Barbara/Montoya went in circles.

Damn I like the Gotham show makers musical taste. Royale Blood's Figure It Out while Gordon is interviewing inmates.

Everytime I saw Dr Lang aka Senator Clay Davis from The Wire I expected him to say his catchphrase s********************! :woot:

Maroni's putting Penguin in his place was great. Penguin being reminded he is a monkey and Maroni is the zookeeper.

Gruber was giving me Hugo Strange vibes.

I always know they have not wrapped up a case and caught the culprit on a Tv show when they still have more than 10 minutes of running time left.

Bullock is entertaining as ever. Donal Logue really does inject this show with some personality.

Butch plot was cool. The rise through the criminal ranks and double crossing stuff I really enjoy.
Ivy just won the best moment of the show award. :funny:

Her supervillain reign of terror started early

I'm not even annoyed by the Barbara stuff because I find it hilarious. Barbara is such a terribly written character that her actions just come off as amusing.

Gruber was totally Hugo Strange inspired.

When Gordon found the note he left at the asylum I was almost positive that it was going to be signed "Hugo Strange"
...or something like that

Damn I like the Gotham show makers musical taste. Royale Blood's Figure It Out while Gordon is interviewing inmates.

heh
I got really excited when I heard dark entries by Bauhaus in one of the previous episodes.

Last edited:
Chrstopher Heyerdahl would've made a good Hugo Strange

Gruber was totally Hugo Strange inspired.

When Gordon found the note he left at the asylum I was almost positive that it was going to be signed "Hugo Strange"
...or something like that

heh
I got really excited when I heard dark Entries by Bauhaus in one of the previous episodes.
They played some Bauhaus?

I must of missed that one. They had some Gang Of Four in the episode Bruce and Selina were on the run

Gruber was somewhat of a Hannibal Lecter rip-off. Literally impersonating Anthony Hopkins, small amount of screentime, escaping the asylum, writing a letter to Gordon that we heard in voice-over akin to Hannibal's phone call to Clarice at the end of Silence of the Lambs.

I completely forgot this was on last night. Hopefully it recorded.

Yeah, I forgot it was on, too. Fortunately I subscribe to Hulu Plus, and I was able to watch it this morning.

The gangsters are killin'. I hope Fish gets cold real soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"