Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 16 "The Blind Fortune Teller" General Discussion

Damn, Fish's plan was cold. The guards should've just gunned her down the second she gave them any lip, though.

I hope Barbara is being set up to be some kind of psycho. I'm getting the impression that she is just because her behavior's been so erratic these last few episodes.

Lee (why can't they just call her Leslie) also seems slightly off, in the way she gets a kick out of frightening and violent things. Gordon being drawn to unhinged women is an amusing thought.

After the positive fan reaction, the showrunners have to be seriously considering making Jerome the Joker.

Gordon not looking into the blind man being a suspect/accomplice until goaded to investigate by Leslie seemed a pretty sophomore mistake. And how did he pull Jerome's guilt outta thin air?

I got the vibe that Gordon felt suspicious of Jerome from his first interrogation on.

This was the best episode of Gotham. The whole romance of Gordon and Thompkins seems like it's going to hit some bumps now that Barbra is back. Seeing the flying Grayson's was cool and nice nod to Dick Grayson. There's a Hellfire Club reference, but that's Marvel, unless there's one in DC I've never heard of. Seeing Bruce Wayne go to Wayne Enterprises and just school them board members. David Mazouz nails it and is a little badass as Bruce Wayne. Now for Cameron Monaghan as The Joker. It's never said he IS the Joker and the "origin" is a lot different than any take I've known of, but if it is I did like how it was portrayed. The actor absolutely nailed it. He was creepy, you see the craziness, and that laugh was damn good.

Cameron Monaghan killed it tonite. He KILLED it. He was everything Joker should be all rolled up into one package. In that one scene alone he invoked such a feeling of unpredictability it was like a roller coaster ride. He played him like the kinda Joker that you could just never possibly know what his reaction to any situation could be. He has to come back. He just has to.
His IMDb lists him for next weeks episode as well.

The show shouldn't be about the villains becoming "the villain". I don't want to see 3-5 year time jumps every season. Just stick with this cast. Try to get a good 5 seasons with them (8 seasons if the show keeps producing but when was the last Fox show that did that besides Idol or reality TV)?

Once they become their true identities, it reverts to "here we go again..." What makes the show interesting is that it is a totally unique take on Gotham and the characters are interesting as is. We don't need to see that kid become Joker, or any of these guys become their alter ego. Just have them slowly evolve.

Eventually, significant things need to happen to keep audiences engaged. Obviously they can't kill any of these guys or gals off since they are major reoccurring characters in the comics. They need more original characters since we know inevitably what the destiny of each these guys are. That's why I don't see the show lasting that long.

Only just now got to watch it. My thoughts:

I think the episode would have been better if we hadn't had all the Joker teases in the marketing leading up to it. As it was, it was painfully obvious who the killer was and the investigation was rather boring. It was all just waiting for that final interrogation scene. Which was good, I suppose, but part of me is waiting for them to throw a curveball and have Joker be one of the other clowns or something. The actor for Jerome did pretty well in that one scene, but I didn't see enough to say one way or another what I think of his character.

The Barbara stuff made me laugh, to be honest. She comes in hating Jim after SHE abandoned him and now she's ticked that he's moved on? What the hell did she expect?

The Bruce stuff was good, especially at the end with the Wayne board. I hope to see more of that. But that last threat seemed a bit brash, throwing a rock at the hornet's nest. Still, that plot is moving again at last, thank goodness.

The Fish stuff was better than last episode, but it seems to me the prison guards could have just called her bluff by calling out her number. Then see if she allows her fellow prisoners to tear her apart.

The Penguin stuff was just weird. What's up with Butch? That scene was too weird.

Not enough Bullock in this episode.

Zsasz spent the last two weeks torturing him to make him obedient to Falcone (or is he?). It is similar to what Ramsay Snow did to Theon Greyjoy in Game of Thrones. Then Falcone forced Penguin to take him on because Penguin is doing a poor job running his club and is driving away business and Butch is a good manager.

The show does have an issue with Barbara, since they've turned Thompkins into a far more likeable character and better match for Gordon.

I have to chime in - even though this episode was mostly about Fish (who was ruthless as ever) I did like the kid who played Jerome (the possible Joker). He was pretty good. He went from calm to scared then to just plain crazy. And if he does show up next week, (The Red Hood Gang) I wonder if he'll be connected to it somehow but if so, how?

if Cameron Monaghan/"Jerome" is the actual joker
i am ok with that :D he was great

I'm definitely cool with him being the Joker, but I honestly don't want any sort of definitive answer as to who becomes him.

Though I caught snippets of the teases, my wife did not, and, although she called Jerome being the killer, she was actually completely blindsided by the implications of him possibly being the Joker.

For people concerned about the time frame on this show, one of the shows creators confirmed that the show takes place seven or eight years before Batman and many of his rouges hit the scene in Gotham. So if this guy is indeed the Joker it will be seven or eight years before he offically becomes the clown prince. So it also means it will take that long before Selina becomes Catwoman, Ivy to become posion ivy, etc. I am okay with a 22 year old Batman. So my concerns about the timeframe of the show are gone now lol.

Last edited:
How old is Bruce supposed to be, like 14?

Best scene from the episode: :D

Like the Joker said in the graphic novel, The Killing Joke: "If I'm gong to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

[YT]/watch?v=b7_8EwGCKsE[/YT]

Last edited:
Zsasz spent the last two weeks torturing him to make him obedient to Falcone (or is he?). It is similar to what Ramsay Snow did to Theon Greyjoy in Game of Thrones. Then Falcone forced Penguin to take him on because Penguin is doing a poor job running his club and is driving away business and Butch is a good manager.

Yeah, but Theon looks like he's subservient and beaten down. Butch, on the other hand, just looked empty. Something just seems off about it... it doesn't ring true as a moment because its not earned, its just kinda thrown out there as a reason to get Butch to work for Penguin. And its kinda lame. I would have rather Butch end up working for Penguin because he's persuaded to.

I saw a clip of Jerome's interrogation. The part where he talks about his mother reminded me of Rorshach's history with his mom.

one thing that reminded me about Heath Ledger was the use of the Kubrick Stare.
jerome.png

ledger_joker.jpg

Was it officially said that Jerome is Young Joker ?

Officially? As in from FOX or DC?

No, but judging from his craziness in the clip I posted above, a lot of the show's fans are speculating that he might someday become the Joker. I mean, the kid nailed it, right? :)

Yeah, but Theon looks like he's subservient and beaten down. Butch, on the other hand, just looked empty. Something just seems off about it... it doesn't ring true as a moment because its not earned, its just kinda thrown out there as a reason to get Butch to work for Penguin. And its kinda lame. I would have rather Butch end up working for Penguin because he's persuaded to.

I agree it wasn't nearly as effective. But keep in mind that there are limits of what you can do on network television as opposed to HBO.

I love Monaghan as an actor. He just has a great, weird energy, as seen on SHAMELESS.

Cameron wasn't really imitating Ledger. There were a few seconds when he first started to "emerge", when he was doing the high-pitched, singsong voice that people have associated with Ledger's Joker, but which has really been associated with the character for a long time. He wasn't using Ledger's mannerisms, or even the inflection, so often imitated in fanfilms and online. There was a smidgen of the approach to the character Nicholson (who drew from Romero's take) and Ledger took, but not an outright imitation or reliance on either. There's also a smidgen of Hamill's Joker energy/voice in there as well, but the kid has a fantastic "dark" and almost "painful" laugh going for him, which I love.

What I found most interesting about his performance, though...is that when Cameron did his own thing...he largely, in terms of portraying the core of the character, blew those well known actors' "mannerisms" away. He did this cold, serious thing that was just perfect and chilling. And THAT's The Joker. That's where the real meat of the character lives. In the man who DOESN'T smile.

Assuming, of course, that he is eventually to be The Joker.

Last edited:
Officially? As in from FOX or DC?

No, but judging from his craziness in the clip I posted above, a lot of the show's fans are speculating that he might someday become the Joker. I mean, the kid nailed it, right? :)

Ha ok thanks.
I follow the show but not the news around it.
And yes, the actor was fine ( I know him from Shameless ).

Whether he ends up being The Joker or not, he gave a seriously great performance. I'd love to see him show up again sometime in the future.

Bruce laying down the law at the board meeting was awesome and I was stoked to see the Flying Graysons.

Gotta love how Barbara doesn't even question why the two girls are there inside her apartment. :funny:

Speaking of Barbara though.... damn. :hubba

All in all, a pretty good episode. Looking forward to seeing what happens next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"