• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goyer says All DC films at Warner Bros. are on Hold

biolumen

The End
Reaction score
Goyer says All DC films at Warner Bros. are on Hold
Written by IESB Staff

Wednesday, 07 January 2009

Director/writer David Goyer says all the DC properties currently over at Warner Bros. have been put on hold for the time being.

When asked about several projects he's been involved with - i.e. Supermax, The Flash - Goyer said in a recent interview with IESB, "A lot of the DC movies at Warner Brothers are all on hold while the figure out, they're going to come up with some new plan, methodology, things like that so everything has just been pressed pause on at the moment. It was the double header of both Iron Man and The Dark Knight coming out, so more than ever I think they've realized, I think DC was responsible for 50% of Warner Brother's revunue this year, something crazy like that, so they realized that comic books, it's become a new genre, one of the most successful genres."

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6054&Itemid=99

Click link for excerpt of video interview.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Well I hope they don't hold Green Lantern. It seems to be the closest to begin filming.

The news sucks on its face, but it seems like the purpose is to make sure these things are being handled correctly and with the adequate level of respect, so that the end product is fruitful.

Or it could be yet another stall because they have no bloody clue how to go about adapting some of these properties.

I hope it's the former.

IESB's title is misleading. It says 'All' while (unless I missed it) Goyer indicates 'a lot'. A lot is not necessarily all, and I still expect GL to start filming this Spring.

they should have made Goyer's "Flash" script

Great ****ing news. Seriously

WB had been going at this all wrong. "as dark as can be"? No thanks. As soon as WB gets their **** together hopefully they wont be greenlighting movies and then getting ZERO headway.

The title of this article is misleading, or at least we can hope. Flash and WW have already been on hold for quite some time. I don't see why GL would go on hold right now.

Its rather ironic that WB axed Goyer's Flash because it was too dark and now Shazam because its not dark enough.

Yea the news is totally misleading and whats is truly up with green lantern which is pretty much as many insiders have said ready to go and we fans are just waiting on cast revealed. Then hex who just got its new director the other day.

well at least this explains why Shazzam suddenly came to a grinding halt.

so WB's got a new game plan. sure we knew that since last year. the problem is WB was figuring out what to do back then, and now we get another update of this so called plan and WB is still stuck on the figuring-out stage? geezus. i'm just thinking that they're just waiting for what Marvel has got planned for Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America then copy it.

edit: btw, i watched the video interview again, i think Goyer said DC was responsible for 15% of WB's profits last year, not 50. because heck if it was 50% hell DC has enough leverage to buy itself out of WB's clucthes, if not take over half of WB itself.

Last edited:
The misleading title aside, it sucks to hear it's taken this long for Warner Bros. to take their DC properties seriously. It's nice to know that they might revise their currently baffling stance on "dark" superhero movies. But that doesn't excuse the fact that they're churning out Harry Potter films like crazy as Marvel Studios is already getting into gear for The Avengers. We should be talking about which one of the two studios will make their team film first, not whether Warner Bros. will develop anything besides Batman.

I don't think everything is on hold, but most of them are.

I think WB wants to get GL, Superman, and, of course, Batman out within the next 3 years.

But with WB you never know. GL could end up not going forward and Superman could end up in development hell again.

Batman is the only film I'd expect for sure to come out.

Green Lantern only has hype on a grassroots level right now. Superman has been in development hell for some time now; you can't look at the conflicting reports we get from that camp and assume anything different. Supermax has not been discussed seriously in a very long time. Jonah Hex is a project without a vision at the moment. Justice League went down in flames.

The only thing we know we're getting is a third Batman film from Nolan, and that's a given.

I think for months, DC and WB have been talking non-stop. Not just the direction of the DC movies, but also where DC is going as a comic book company. There's a lot of changes as of late: Superman going old school, Barry Allen coming back, Batman retiring, etc. From what I'm gathering, they want to coordinate the movies with the comics to a certain degree.

So, WB wouldn't be able to do a Flash movie starring Wally West if Barry Allen is the CURRENT Flash in the comics.

well yea supes stuck in developmental hell, same as flash/ww, and now shazam and ga been stuck there to past few months. Right now batman 3 is a given to be happening in the next few yrs, green lantern very likely to happen for 2010 since it has had the most movement and development out of all dc characters so far. hopefully we dont hear its been canned it would be very disapointing since how close it is. Then same goes with hex it has movement and could very well be shooting in the next few months and with hex's character and type of film doesnt need alot of time to film and all that.

What I think he means is everything besides Batman, Superman and GL are on hold which is not a shocker.

Goyer works on a lot of superhero movies, but as a screenwriter he's not the be all and end all of sources. Last we heard from Alan Horn, the CEO of WB, was that GL was close to starting and that they're looking to do a third round of Batman when Nolan is ready.
It wouldn't make sense for GL to be on hold, they don't have much else on tap for summer 2010. Flash and WW being on hold is old news. Goyer isn't involved with GL anyway.

I doubt GL will be ready for 2010. I mean seriously... how the heck are they going to make a quality film in time for 2010? They'd have to be filming in like a month or two... not gonna happen. Maybe a Holiday/spring release for 2010/2011 or something (But we said the same thing about MOS lets not forget). If WB was serious about a JLA movie we would have gotten three tentpoles straight every summer between 2010-2012... leading into a JLA movie in 2013/2014. They are obviously not thinking what everyone else is thinking. Its stupid to copy Marvel this soon after the fact. I think they need to give it at least another 5-8 years to let the genre die down a bit... then pick it back up when the time is right.

Last edited:
The only thing we know we're getting is a third Batman film from Nolan, and that's a given.
And knowing how this studio handles it comic book properties, which is poorly,they're only green-lighting sure things. Batman has always been a sure thing for them financially and they are going ahead with a TDK sequel whether Nolan waffles or not.

Seeing that Robinov & Co. shot down the SHAZAM! project, I'd be surprised if Green Lantern goes ahead as scheduled. I just don't have very much faith in the suits running the show there.

I doubt GL will be ready for 2010. I mean seriously... how the heck are they going to make a quality film in time for 2010? They'd have to be filming in like a month or two... not gonna happen. Maybe a Holiday/spring release for 2010/2011 or something (But we said the same thing about MOS lets not forget). If WB was serious about a JLA movie we would have gotten three tentpoles straight every summer between 2010-2012... leading into a JLA movie in 2013/2014. They are obviously not thinking what everyone else is thinking. Its stupid to copy Marvel this soon after the fact. I think they need to give it at least another 5-8 years to let the genre die down a bit... then pick it back up when the time is right.

A 14 to 15 month schedule isn't anything unusual for a film. Nolan's six month shoot on TDK is very much the exception, and partially explained by them shooting on three continents. Iron Man had pretty much the exact same schedule as GL, maybe tighter. The Incredible Hulk had less time. Iron Man 2 and Thor will roughly have the same schedule as GL.

GL will basically have a 2 to 3 month shoot, and a full year of post-production. That's a pretty standard schedule. Watchmen was done filming in February 2008 and has been edited for awhile now, they're just waiting on the special effects houses to finish up and probably the score.

I don't think Warner has a plan..

Its so refreshing that at least once a year we get to hear that WB isnt doing any comics movies because they are still thinking about how to do them. I think I speak for us all when i say that this nostalgic feeling Im having for the last ten times we were told this just brings a tear to my eye. It shows the great care WB is putting into this. I mean, the first thought would be to just ADAPT THE COMICS THAT HAVE MADE THEM MONEY FOR DECADES, but no...we should examine this further. Perhaps there are ideas that they can steal from marvel??? Or perhaps the success of Twilight means that they should turn all of their superheros into vampires??? Its all so confusing to a multimillion dollar a year executive. Should we faithfully adapt the characters or halt the movies production every six months to try to follow the next trend? Its brilliant, really.

(sarcasm mode turned off)

Last edited:
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6054&Itemid=99

Click link for excerpt of video interview.

Edited for spelling

A new genre? Uh, where have they been for the last 30 years?

The news sucks on its face, but it seems like the purpose is to make sure these things are being handled correctly and with the adequate level of respect, so that the end product is fruitful.

Or it could be yet another stall because they have no bloody clue how to go about adapting some of these properties.

I hope it's the former.

Hope for the former.

Believe in the latter.

Great ****ing news. Seriously

WB had been going at this all wrong. "as dark as can be"? No thanks. As soon as WB gets their **** together hopefully they wont be greenlighting movies and then getting ZERO headway.

As soon as they get their **** together, hopefully they'll realise they're all wrong for DC Comics.

The title of this article is misleading, or at least we can hope. Flash and WW have already been on hold for quite some time. I don't see why GL would go on hold right now.

Its rather ironic that WB axed Goyer's Flash because it was too dark and now Shazam because its not dark enough.

I'm getting a headache. Seriously.

well at least this explains why Shazzam suddenly came to a grinding halt.

so WB's got a new game plan. sure we knew that since last year. the problem is WB was figuring out what to do back then, and now we get another update of this so called plan and WB is still stuck on the figuring-out stage? geezus. i'm just thinking that they're just waiting for what Marvel has got planned for Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America then copy it.

edit: btw, i watched the video interview again, i think Goyer said DC was responsible for 15% of WB's profits last year, not 50. because heck if it was 50% hell DC has enough leverage to buy itself out of WB's clucthes, if not take over half of WB itself.

If something like that happens, I might start believing in God.

I don't think Warner has a plan..

Warner Bros.? The masters of the comic book movie genre? Not have a plan? Surely you jest.

so WB's got a new game plan.

LOL, WB's new game plan. WB's new plan = WB's old plan. Only make Batman and Superman movies out of the live action big DC superheroes. And of the other big DC superheroes? Pretend like you will make them(hire writers, a director, scouts, etc..) and then cancel that project last minute for whatever reason pops up on their wheel of excuses. Just spin the arrow, let it land on the excuse and then cancel the project.

:down

Its so refreshing that at least once a year we get to hear that WB isnt doing any comics movies because they are still thinking about how to do them. I think I speak for us all when i say that this nostalgic feeling Im having for the last ten times we were told this just brings a tear to my eye. It shows the great care WB is putting into this. I mean, the first thought would be to just ADAPT THE COMICS THAT HAVE MADE THEM MONEY FOR DECADES, but no...we should examine this further. Perhaps there are ideas that they can steal from marvel??? Or perhaps the success of Twilight means that they should turn all of their superheros into vampires??? Its all so confusing to a multimillion dollar a year executive. Should we faithfully adapt the characters or halt the movies production every six months to try to follow the next trend? Its brilliant, really.

(sarcasm mode turned off)

:hehe:

Good. Supermax was a terrible idea for a Green Arrow movie, and the script sucked.

Good. Supermax was a terrible idea for a Green Arrow movie, and the script sucked.

Listen to this man, people. He watches TNA, and is therefore well-versed in bad scripts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"