• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Goyer says All DC films at Warner Bros. are on Hold

Yeah, most superhero movies didn't get into any sort of development until after Batman (1989) and the rise of CGI. There really was no way to do them before that. Heck, we had a Flash live action series in the meantime, a pair of high profile tv shows for Superman, and various attempts.

People forget but Spider-Man was in development hell for longer than people have been attempting Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, or Flash as movies.

People forget but Spider-Man was in development hell for longer than people have been attempting Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, or Flash as movies.

True, except that GL hasn't been through as much development attempts and failures as Spider-Man, Watchmen, Superman in the '90s and what ended up as Nolan's Batman series.

Some producer of "Knight Rider" pitched a GL film about a decade ago and was shot down. Than of course there was the idea kicked around about a comedy rip-off with Jack Black, which fortunately never went anywhere. Now its Greg Berlanti who has it all lined up to start production. Its a relatively new idea.

True, except that GL hasn't been through as much development attempts and failures as Spider-Man, Watchmen, Superman in the '90s and what ended up as Nolan's Batman series.

Some producer of "Knight Rider" pitched a GL film about a decade ago and was shot down. Than of course there was the idea kicked around about a comedy rip-off with Jack Black, which fortunately never went anywhere. Now its Greg Berlanti who has it all lined up to start production. Its a relatively new idea.

Isn't that what I just said? GL, WW, and Flash are relatively new projects as far as movies go. Spider-Man, and others, were in development hell for much longer.

Green Lantern and Iron Man 2 will be THE movies of 2010! :woot:

Isn't that what I just said? GL, WW, and Flash are relatively new projects as far as movies go. Spider-Man, and others, were in development hell for much longer.

I think Redphile only read like the first sentence of your previous post.

I really hope GL makes it for 2010 along with IM 2 and Thor. I'm also disappointed in hearing about Green Hornet. I was very interested in seeing what Seth Rogen could do in the role. I'm surprised there are that many people angered about Rogen being the Green Hornet. Didn't really think there were that many hardcore GH fans. Here's hoping that the movie can find a new director and get the ball roling for Spring. What about that guy from Speed racer and Ninja Assassin for Kato? He might be good.
Anyway, does FilmNerd Jamie know more about this movie than letting on?

The Green Hornet is still set for release, by the way, so it's too early to say "What a shame".

And you mean 'Rain' from Speed Racer? Pop international superstar?

If you think about it, I think Kato should be younger. Rain IS trained in some martial arts because of his ninja movie, but he's not an expect (which is what Sony is looking for). A name like Stephen Chow, Donnie Yen, or Tony Jaa. I think Jaa could do, but he does NOT look Chinese or Japanese, which is what Kato is (i think).

I would think Sony would push this movie through, as it looks like they are really banking on it. However, I don't know what else they have on their schedule for that year and maybe could afford to lose it or movie it?
Hadn't thought about Donnie Yen, he would be perfect! I would prefer him over Chow anyday. Didn't know that Sony wanted an expert, that does hurt the search for a Kato.

Yeah you did say that, my bad. What I meant to say was that even WW and Flash have been through more development hell than GL.
The WW movie has been in the pipeline for years, we were gonna get a movie with Joss Whedon but it all fell apart. We were gonna have a Flash movie with Goyer directing and starring Ryan Reynolds, than it shut down and has been thrown to two other directors who haven't done much of anything with it.
Until Greg Berlanti pitched the idea, a GL movie was never a serious prospect. The Jack Black idea was never gonna happen anyway.

yea it sucks all these dc characters have been stuck for so long in developmental hell hopefully we will be able to get gl/flash and others out soon.

Posted this in other thread but did anyone else see this?

Marc Guggenheim: An Eli Stone/Green Lantern Update
By Vaneta Rogers
posted: 13 January 2009 05:25 am ET

The message of the ABC legal drama Eli Stone is one of hope, and comics writer Marc Guggenheim is holding onto hope that the television show he co-created can be saved from cancelation.

Fans of Guggenheim haven't heard a lot of good news about his Hollywood projects lately. Not only did ABC announce in November that the network would not order new episodes of the legal drama Eli Stone, which Guggenheim co-created with Greg Berlanti, but a recent statement from David Goyer also indicated the Green Lantern movie Guggenheim co-wrote was put on hold along with other DC movies.

But Guggenheim said he’s not only holding onto hope that Eli Stone could be renewed for a third season, but he doesn't think Goyer meant to include Green Lantern in his statement. (In fact, although Goyer didn’t name what movies in particular were put "on hold," his comment was in response to a question relating to his Flash and Green Arrow projects.)

"I don't think David was referring to Green Lantern. I think David was referring to other properties. That doesn't jibe with the information that I've been getting," Guggenheim said.

That assessment would agree with what Guggenheim told Newsarama in October, when the writer said the Hal Jordan-centered film, which he co-wrote with Berlanti and Superman/Batman scribe Michael Green, was moving along in pre-production, unaffected by any of the rumored reworking that other DC projects were experiencing at Warner Bros. "It hasn't really affected this project in the least," he said at the time.

While Guggenheim said he couldn't say anything else about the Green Lantern film right now, he was more than happy to discuss Eli Stone. While ABC decided not to order any additional episodes of the show for this season, Guggenheim said that doesn't mean there couldn't be hope for next fall.
http://www.newsarama.com/tv/010913-Guggenheim-Stone.html

Looks like GL may not be on "hold" like the other projects at all. :D As for my two cents on what Goyer was talking about, I think he was refering to DC's annoucment all those months ago about them trying to "rework" their strategy. I doubt he actually stays in touch with them that much, so when asked what was going on he gave them that. :)

Yeah that was posted, thanks for reminding us. It makes sense that GL isn't on hold like other DC films. It was in active development before WB/DC supposedly brainstormed for a master strategy.

As for Watchmen, it looks really good, can't wait until March 6. Its a DC property, but what's disappointing is that its a stand alone movie, so we can't anticipate how they could do a sequel. There won't be any enticing hints to a universe of characters (i.e., the Joker card at the end of BB, all the Marvel crossovers). If WB had acted to get more of the traditional Justice League superheroes in solo films earlier, like WW and Flash, than it would be more fun.

yea like i said over in the other thread no one believed gl was on the list of goyer's films it was pretty much only the ones he was a part of the production/developement on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"