Grand Theft Auto IV - Part 1

Didnt see a thread about GTA IV in here and since it will be released for both the 360 and the PS3 at the same time I thought I'd make one.

Countdown to the trailer: http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

Cant wait.

Quick question I have GTA4 for the 360, and I want to get liberty city for the PS3 cuz its cheaper...is there something similar like in Mass Effect when u beat the game it will effect the story in the sequel? If so than I'd rather get the 360 version...

Quick question I have GTA4 for the 360, and I want to get liberty city for the PS3 cuz its cheaper...is there something similar like in Mass Effect when u beat the game it will effect the story in the sequel? If so than I'd rather get the 360 version...

No, both of The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and The Damned are 2 different storylines, they don't affect the overall story of GTAIV. There are a few missions that are intertwined with the storyline, but you're playing from a different person's perspective

Isnt this guy a dead ringer for Niko?

1fe92bdb90cdb6cf2c4436a489a42a4f.jpg

I got stuck with GTA IV and stopped playing out of frustration, and now I have ME2, RDR, and DA:O Ultimate Edition all taking up what few free time that I have. Maybe one of those days I'll pop in the disc and have another go with it, or get the two DLC packs.

Bought liberty city for 18 brand new on amazon...can't wait!

Rumors are flying around that Rockstar will reveal GTA V at E3 and that it willl feature real world modern Los Angeles as the city. I really hope that is not the case. Rockstar has been slowly moving away from the more fun, cartoony, over the top aspects of the series ever since San Andreas. Putting it in the real world will be the final nail in the coffin of classic GTA, IMO.

At any rate, here is a link.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/06/05/gta-v-location-rumors-pre-e3-2011/

GTA needs a better story than we've seen in the past games, I've gotten bored with teh story in every single game, but luckily the free roam is such a blast I play them for months. but I had never finished a Rockstar game until RDR (well, technically I finished the first Red Dead, but I'm talking about the open world formula games), and I'm close to finishing Noire. I actually want them to go the way of more realistic rather than cartoony, but keep the cartoony elements in, but make it feel and look more real.

Rumors are flying around that Rockstar will reveal GTA V at E3 and that it willl feature real world modern Los Angeles as the city. I really hope that is not the case. Rockstar has been slowly moving away from the more fun, cartoony, over the top aspects of the series ever since San Andreas. Putting it in the real world will be the final nail in the coffin of classic GTA, IMO.

At any rate, here is a link.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/06/05/gta-v-location-rumors-pre-e3-2011/

I'm all for it. I loved GTA4, I loved the story and the characters. Let Saints Row be the cartoony over the top game, and let GTA be the more realistic story driven game.

You loved the characters? All Niko does is whine about how bad his life is (as he continues to kill). He was so annoying. None of the other characters aside from Brucie and Packie were really memorable.

Niko was by far the most annoying character of all time. For that reason alone. I raced to beat GTA IV as quick as I could and never bothered playing it again. Being a huge fan of the series before that, i was hugely disappointed.

You loved the characters? All Niko does is whine about how bad his life is (as he continues to kill). He was so annoying. None of the other characters aside from Brucie and Packie were really memorable.

He was better than a mute erran boy, a wanna be scarface and a boring hood rat

As for the complaint about putting it in the real world. Was there not a GTA set in London back when it was still 2-D?

As for the complaint about putting it in the real world. Was there not a GTA set in London back when it was still 2-D?

I'd like to see London done for the next game. Really not a fan of LA, at all.

He was better than a mute erran boy, a wanna be scarface and a boring hood rat

Whoa hold on, I though tommy vercetti was great as a chracter. The problem with SA and i suppose GTA IV (haven't actually played it), is that you have a character who is supposedly not inherently bad just put in tough situations but they go along committing mass murder and chaos with very little hesitance. At least with tommy he was like scarface he was psychotic he was an admitted bad guy, it was within reason for him to act like he did.

Either way with the groundbreaking work rockstar has done with RDR and LA Noire I can't see them go back to the old GTA template, would be a huge let down imo.

Whoa hold on, I though tommy vercetti was great as a chracter. The problem with SA and i suppose GTA IV (haven't actually played it), is that you have a character who is supposedly not inherently bad just put in tough situations but they go along committing mass murder and chaos with very little hesitance. At least with tommy he was like scarface he was psychotic he was an admitted bad guy, it was within reason for him to act like he did.

Either way with the groundbreaking work rockstar has done with RDR and LA Noire I can't see them go back to the old GTA template, would be a huge let down imo.

I thought Vercetti was the most annoying character in a GTA title, altho VC was my fav in the series. Loved the setting.

I'd like to see London done for the next game. Really not a fan of LA, at all.

I agree. GTA set in London could be great. There is a great, grimey look about London. And there is possibilities for great characters because the population is so diverse. And knowing Rockstar you could have satirical references to things like The Krays, The Great Train Robbery, James Bond, Irish Pikeys like in Snatch etc.

^Indeed!,I've been waiting two years for GTA V to be announced and with rumors of GTA V possibly being a launch title for the new Nintendo.....I am damn anxious to know IF any info about a possible next GTA game will be passing around during the week!

I agree with your first paragraph. As for your second....not so much. GTA: IV feels like The Fast and the Furious trying to become Oscar bait. If Rockstar wants to win awards and make deep games, they should stick to Red Dead and other franchises for that. GTA should be silly, escapist fun. Not a real world examination of the struggles of an illegal immigrant.

Because when you break it down, no matter how much you try to analyze what Niko or any GTA protagonist does, basically every action that they take consists of UNJUSTIFIABLE mass murder. It is hard (practically impossible) to build a relatable, coherrent, or serious story in that backdrop. You can't change the formula as if you do its not GTA but if its cartoony and over the top (like GTA III and Vice City) then there is no need to worry about relatability and coherrence as it is just pure, escapist fun.

Last edited:
This is why I don't focus on the story in the GTA games or the characters. I just play the game and do silly dumb ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"