Grand Theft Auto IV - Part 1

GTA should be silly, escapist fun. Not a real world examination of the struggles of an illegal immigrant.

If you want silly, that's what Saints Row is doing. Rockstar seems to want to focus on good/dramatic stories, and I am all for it. GTAIV was a fantastic game.

If you want silly, that's what Saints Row is doing. Rockstar seems to want to focus on good/dramatic stories, and I am all for it. GTAIV was a fantastic game.

But you'll never be able to make a relatable story about a mass murderer. They tried with Niko, but in the end for all the whining about how he was a good man who got dealt a bad hand, he was still pulling the trigger. He was a whiney hypocrite. Its not strong characterization. Its inconsistent and shallow as Niko made no real attempts at change. The formula of the franchise doesn't lend itself to good/dramatic stories.

I found it relatable and I found Niko to be a compelling character.

Same here. Just because you do bad things doesn't mean you are an inherently bad person. That applies to Niko. I thought his plight was pretty compelling.

There is a difference between doing bad things and being a mass murderer.

Well, unless you went on a rampage it's not as though you are killing innocent people.

Matt says that Nico Belic is a mass murderer. The same could be said about John Marston. Or even Nathan Drake. There's always going to a disparity between the characterization of a character within the story and the gameplay.

I definitely hope some developers find a way to make it more consistent, but in the meantme, that's just something you have to accept about video games.

Well, unless you went on a rampage it's not as though you are killing innocent people.

Niko kills quite a few innocent people regardless of how you play the game.

Matt says that Nico Belic is a mass murderer. The same could be said about John Marston. Or even Nathan Drake. There's always going to a disparity between the characterization of a character within the story and the gameplay.

I definitely hope some developers find a way to make it more consistent, but in the meantme, that's just something you have to accept about video games.

Drake kills terrorists and criminals who are shooting at him. Marston was a bad man who actually sought redemption by killing other bad men. And he never claimed to be a good man. He was simply willing to do anything to get his family back.

Niko on the other hand, would plant a bomb for a drug dealer that would kill hundreds of civilians and then go and whine about how he is a good guy who just got dealt a bad hand.

Because when you break it down, no matter how much you try to analyze what Niko or any GTA protagonist does, basically every action that they take consists of UNJUSTIFIABLE mass murder. It is hard (practically impossible) to build a relatable, coherrent, or serious story in that backdrop. You can't change the formula as if you do its not GTA but if its cartoony and over the top (like GTA III and Vice City) then there is no need to worry about relatability and coherrence as it is just pure, escapist fun.

There is no reason that they can't go for a more reaslitc/dramatic story that still makes sense within the confines of their character, they just happaenned to not have the tech to do it before, and simply failed (for me) with GTAIV. I hope they reach for more cinematically, character-wise, and story-wise.

Really, the best thing GTA has going for it is the physics (which in turn makes the driving a blast) and fun factor of its open worldness. To be honest, the mechanics have always been lackluster and feel even moreso now that they haven't updated it since what feels like the first GTA. Even LA Noire uses the same terrible melee system and shoddy aiming system.

I think it would be kind of funny if they included it to where you'd get a star if you make illegal turns or run a red light.

It's been a while since I played through the main story and I recently completed the Ballad of Gay Tony, but I was going back to the main game to try to get the Plantinum trophy, but for some reason the game didn't look or feel at great as I remember it. I don't know if its because they changed things visually in the DLC, but the environment in the main game has such a foggy, pale feel to it and its kinda been distracting me.

It's been a while since I played through the main story and I recently completed the Ballad of Gay Tony, but I was going back to the main game to try to get the Plantinum trophy, but for some reason the game didn't look or feel at great as I remember it. I don't know if its because they changed things visually in the DLC, but the environment in the main game has such a foggy, pale feel to it and its kinda been distracting me.

They did different visual filters on Lost and Ballad, Lost was kind of grainy and dark, Ballad was brighter.

But overall, yeah GTAIV isn't going to age well.

I really don't want it to be LA for the next GTA, but a modern day Vice City on the other hand, now we're talking....

They did different visual filters on Lost and Ballad, Lost was kind of grainy and dark, Ballad was brighter.

But overall, yeah GTAIV isn't going to age well.
Yeah I saw the grain filter on Lost and I luckily it could be switched off. But I'm guessing since Ballad is supposed to be about the bright lights and party nights in the city, it made things look more vibrant.
I really don't want it to be LA for the next GTA, but a modern day Vice City on the other hand, now we're talking....
I liked the idea of LA, but seeing as how they sort of already did that with LA Noire, I think it should be somewhere different. I think I heard someone during the E3 coverage on Gametrailers say that San Francisco would be a good place.

i'm really hoping we get a GTA V announcement soon. However, if we get max Payne 3 first, I'll still be VERY happy.

you know what i'd love?

an HD remake of Vice City :word: just imagine how awesome it would look in HD. Rockstar should definately consider doing this to help tide us over while they get GTA 5 underway.

id love a return to vice city, but i want a return to 1980's vice city. that music just kicks so much ass.

id love a return to vice city, but i want a return to 1980's vice city. that music just kicks so much ass.

everything about that game was so badass - the setting, music, lighting, and characters

and you just gotta love the inspiration it got from Miami Vice, Scarface, Carlitos Way, etc.

that's why i think it'd be awesome to get a remake for PS3 & XB360

Yeah, vice city is my favorite in the series. One of the most fun games ive ever played. At the time, everyone had it.

I never played Vice City, but I would love to with an HD remake.

I thought GTA:VC felt like the most authentic out of all the games. Like i really felt as tho i was in that time period. It was awesome.

We could always have a modern day Vice City with one of the radio stations being VC 80's music. :up:

We could always have a modern day Vice City with one of the radio stations being VC 80's music. :up:

Hey that could work, but man you wouldnt be able to get the white suits with the rolled up sleeves and hot pink under shirts. Gotta go 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"