Grant Morrison....W. T. F?

I'm still of the opinion that Gotham Central is the best Batman related run that I've ever read or heard of in comics.

lixdexia you should pick up Batman & Robin #10 that came out today. You'll totally sympathize with Damian and you'll see how he's come close with Dick.
got a chance to read it today, and it wasn't terrible. nothing to write home about but much better than his run on batman (club of heroes excluded.) other than an 11 yr old doogie howzering the wayne ent. board damian was written much less irritating than i've seen him from morrison.

I'm still of the opinion that Gotham Central is the best Batman related run that I've ever read or heard of in comics.
up until that one chick became psychic. the ending was fantastic too.

pssssh Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's Detective Comics run smokes that **** like Arnold does cigars.

up until that one chick became psychic. the ending was fantastic too.
The meta concept is nothing new to the DC universe and I was very glad that Gotham Central acknowledged the more science-y aspects it. Plus it was fantastic that she stayed a cop and not a superhero. That's one of the things that really drives me crazy and slowly making me give up more comics each year; every freaking person who has a superpower become a hero or villain. It makes no freaking sense since there are so many more possiblities for great stories rather than "fights villain".
pssssh Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's Detective Comics run smokes that **** like Arnold does cigars.
Oh yeah, forgot about that, totally different too, I'd put these on a par purely because they are both so different and great.

Also much of Denny O'Neill's run was made of gold too, I swear he sold his soul to the devil to make such awesome Ra's stories.

got a chance to read it today, and it wasn't terrible. nothing to write home about but much better than his run on batman (club of heroes excluded.) other than an 11 yr old doogie howzering the wayne ent. board damian was written much less irritating than i've seen him from morrison.
Well if you dont like Damian, this issue wont make you like him, but perhaps understand why he is the way he is. I love him and i love how he met the board of directors. From Fox's speech i was expecting Dick, but instead Damian was there. A 10 year old kid talking down on 50 year old men. Hilarious!

Damian is the greatest addition to the bat family since Cassandra Cain.

I was very skeptical of him at first ( I hated him to be honest) but I like him more and more all the time. He's really grown on me (I really realized this in B&R 10)

Lets hope they don't F*** him over like they did with her character. What happened to Cass has pretty much driven me away from the vast majority of DC comics, DC could not have shown its racism more blatantly :cmad:

Grant Morrison's Batman is the best ive seen of the character in the past 8 years. What bothers me is not that people hate it, but the fact that 9 times out of 10, they probably just want the same ol' safe stories where nothing really happens ultimately...hence the reason why people liked Dini's run so much.

...hence the reason why people liked Dini's run so much.
My reasons for liking Dini's run was not so much that is WAS the same stuff over, but just that in amidst everyone wanting to shake up status quo it was great to have a writer who would just do a consistently good and fun run.

I like Morrison's even though I'll still argue RIP was pretty faulty, and making Talia an evil rapist is pretty rubbish so Batman and Robin I'm far more enjoying, but I don't want massive changes like this ALL the time.

Most famous and great Batman runs didn't change much, other did. Good stories are good stories, I just think between changes there should be some classic superheroics so we can recover from the last event.

I agree 100%. The earliest issues are the best. Particularly the issues where Renee is
outed and kidnapped by Two-Face.

I loved the fact that the comic really put Batman in the backseat. Essentially, I think of Gotham Central as being the DC equivalent of MARVELS. It really focused on the the perspective of the ordinary person in a world of costumed/super powered heroes and villains.

Sadly, what made Gotham Central such a great book, is probably the same thing that made it so unpopular to the general public. I am sure folks read a few issues and said, "where the hell is Batman????"

My reasons for liking Dini's run was not so much that is WAS the same stuff over, but just that in amidst everyone wanting to shake up status quo it was great to have a writer who would just do a consistently good and fun run.

I like Morrison's even though I'll still argue RIP was pretty faulty, and making Talia an evil rapist is pretty rubbish so Batman and Robin I'm far more enjoying, but I don't want massive changes like this ALL the time.

Most famous and great Batman runs didn't change much, other did. Good stories are good stories, I just think between changes there should be some classic superheroics so we can recover from the last event.

I think the two compliment each other very well. I liked Morrison's run and I like B&R. Dini is just good and reliable and Sleigh Ride was a great one shot. So, really, take your pick.

I think the two compliment each other very well. I liked Morrison's run and I like B&R. Dini is just good and reliable and Sleigh Ride was a great one shot. So, really, take your pick.
Exactly, they are both great examples of how comics should be; fun, emotional, thematic, and not always relying on overt sexism, racism and stupidity that much of the medium wallows in.

Though mind you, I can't think of a good female character Morrison has written. He doesn't like Wonder Woman and it really shows, some crap about not seeing anything "feminine" in the character, Talia went from being a torn love of Bruce's to a psycho evil rapist, Jezebel was a traitor, Catwoman very oddly never mentioned, and Batwoman died for a short period or was crippled in a recent issue.

Exactly, they are both great examples of how comics should be; fun, emotional, thematic, and not always relying on overt sexism, racism and stupidity that much of the medium wallows in.

Though mind you, I can't think of a good female character Morrison has written. He doesn't like Wonder Woman and it really shows, some crap about not seeing anything "feminine" in the character, Talia went from being a torn love of Bruce's to a psycho evil rapist, Jezebel was a traitor, Catwoman very oddly never mentioned, and Batwoman died for a short period or was crippled in a recent issue.

Ah Grant Morrison. The man lives to be contrary, negative and a destroyer of the status quo. That is what most of his stories turn into. I am not against change, but I feel comics should be about progression of the status quo and not the simple destruction of it. That is perhaps why Batman & Robin has been so well received. It seems very natural that Bruce Wayne's two sons, would take on the mantle of Batman & Robin. It was even impressive to see Morrison delve into back issues to bring back the previously unnamed Damian Wayne. Unfortunately, that is where the buck stops. The rest of the time it seems like Grant Morrison would rather be controversial and upsetting by making what may be considered (arguably) the most disliked choices in comic writing (druggy Magneto, killing Bruce Wayne).

^ yah, youre in a huge minority regarding Damian. Damian is the right hand of the man, crashing down on punks in the DCU.

I agree. It is pretty hard to hate Damian Wayne once you start reading Batman & Robin. Back a few years ago when he reappeared during the Ninja Man Bat incident, he was pretty aggrivating. But these days, he is the new Jason Todd of Robin's. Except he doesn't suck. So I hope he doesn't get crow barred (like Jason) or even beat with a Bat (like Dick).

Yeah I definitely hated Damian at first. hated hated hated. But now he's found his place and has learned to respect Bruce and Dick. I'm liking him more all the time.

A Grant Morrison documentary? Oh god! Its going to be awesome!

At first when I was reading Grant's work I was like, the **** is this guy on? After reading more of his work I'm starting to get it. He's all about drug epiphanies so just keep reading them and eventually you'll be like
"Oh **** I get it and it's beautiful."
It happened to me in All Star Superman when I realized
Leo was Lex
So Grant whatever you're on, give me a hit of that ****!!!
Can't wait for the documentary to come out

I watched those documentary clips...Grant Morrison has a very heavy Scottish accent. I some how imagined that it would be softer. But after listening to his little rant about hallucinations, I think i can begin to understand the context that Morrison is often writing from. It doesn't mean I like some of his random choices more than I used to, but I can understand the motivations behind them. Grant is a talented man and he is a fantastic story telling. The problem is that you might not always find yourself liking the story he is telling, but his ability is apparent. His writing on Batman & Robin is really helping his cause as far as my personal enjoyment of his writing style.

I watched those documentary clips...Grant Morrison has a very heavy Scottish accent. I some how imagined that it would be softer. But after listening to his little rant about hallucinations, I think i can begin to understand the context that Morrison is often writing from. It doesn't mean I like some of his random choices more than I used to, but I can understand the motivations behind them. Grant is a talented man and he is a fantastic story telling. The problem is that you might not always find yourself liking the story he is telling, but his ability is apparent. His writing on Batman & Robin is really helping his cause as far as my personal enjoyment of his writing style.

Yeah I will go ahead and say that B&R is turning out to be reasonably superior to his run on Batman and Iw as one of the ones that liked his Batman run.

Grant's run is probably my favourite on Batman. Not only is it incredibly creative, it's also fun, with incredible dieas and great character development. It's so far from the "bruce is just a mask" cliche. A lot of people want safe stories, and Dini is not bad at writing them, but those stories are, imo, nothing more than appetizers, while Grant's run is basically something that will be remembered in the years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"