Greatest American Hero greenlit by ABC (garbage)

Silver Lantern

comic nerd
Reaction score
A new series that will star a Indian american lead female named Meera, likes tequila and kareoke too in Cleveland and show only 30 minutes long with 1 camera use to film show.

How I feel about this idea is a damn tragety and a insult to the original series. It should be filed under garbage. Changing it from Ralph to a woman to suit the needs of bias reasons, making her drinking alcohol is the worse part and should not be in any show like that. The directors, writers, etc of that needs to NOT do that to a classic show I grew up on. I wanted a new G.A.Hseries but not like this. Garbage, rubbish, trash, filth, and a insult. What's next not having a Bill Maxwell or why not change him to African American too since they are every character to shut people up who.

Post comments below:

Funny enough, if you bought the old TV series box set their is a unair pilot of a female GAH

I'm not going to get offended, but there is a certain impracticality to remaking something but changing everything up, because it isn't much of a draw for the original fans, and for non-fans you could just as easily make something new.

I mean, we've only seen a synopsis, but the only thing recognizable from it is that the suit came from aliens, and that's something that rarely came up in the show.

Funny enough, if you bought the old TV series box set their is a unair pilot of a female GAH

There are a few clips on YouTube as well. Here's the 'passing the torch' moment with Ralph, Bill, Pam, and Holly:

Female and Indian. They're making sure they check off the boxes on this one.

I'm not going to get offended, but there is a certain impracticality to remaking something but changing everything up, because it isn't much of a draw for the original fans, and for non-fans you could just as easily make something new.

I mean, we've only seen a synopsis, but the only thing recognizable from it is that the suit came from aliens, and that's something that rarely came up in the show.

I think comedies give you room to change things since comedy styles change. I mean Big Bang as crappy as it is wouldn't have been made in the heyday of TGIF.

One of the people behind this is the same one from Suburgatory and The B in Apt 23 so I'd give it a go.

sorry i couldn't get into the orignal greatest american hero to me after the first episodes it was mostly the same episodes after that!!

I think comedies give you room to change things since comedy styles change. I mean Big Bang as crappy as it is wouldn't have been made in the heyday of TGIF.

But isn't that all the more reason to keep the base details the same? If you change the style, the format from an hour to half an hour, and the lead's character traits along with their race and gender, then how is it even really The Greatest American Hero anymore?

Which isn't to say that it couldn't be good in its own right, but at a certain point it being a remake becomes irrelevant.

I watched the original as a little kid. I'll at least check out the first episode of the new version. LOL at anyone mad it's not an exact copy of the old show.

But isn't that all the more reason to keep the base details the same? If you change the style, the format from an hour to half an hour, and the lead's character traits along with their race and gender, then how is it even really The Greatest American Hero anymore?

Which isn't to say that it couldn't be good in its own right, but at a certain point it being a remake becomes irrelevant.

I doubt most people would agree are the absolute base details of shows they like.

Two British white guys working in a junkyard became the base for Sanford and Son. The recent CHIPS movie didn't gain points for keeping the base details of race and jobs.

This will fail or succeed on the simple question of why should people care about this Greatest American Hero? Seeing someone fall on their face isn't going to get people watching.

I would like to know why Hollywood has such a hard-on for this property.

Last edited:
I find that gender/race swapping ultimately doesn't matter, unless there is something germane to the story/character in their race or sex.

As long as its a good show, people will watch. If not, it will fade quietly to black.

I doubt most people would agree are the absolute base details of shows they like.

Two British white guys working in a junkyard became the base for Sanford and Son. The recent CHIPS movie didn't gain points for keeping the base details of race and jobs.

Mainly because
Ponch wasn't really Ponch, but rather a pseudonym for Michael Peña's character

This will fail or succeed on the simple question of why should people care about this Greatest American Hero? Seeing someone fall on their face isn't going to get people watching.

1. It's a classic 1980s series with a cult following.
2. The concept of 'ordinary person becoming something extraordinary' is still a popular one.
3. Everything old is new again.

Let's be clear: I am not a fan of the constant rebooting of classic properties, but once in a while, you get a series which properly acknowledges the original while keeping it fresh. Unfortunately, for every Hawaii Five-0, there's a Knight Rider (2008), Bionic Woman (2007), or Charlie's Angels (2011).

Right now, all we can do is wait and see what happens. This will either fly 'on a wing and a prayer' or it'll crash hard like Ralph in Season 1.

I think it was the execution that made The Greatest American Hero work rather than the synopsis. However, like you said, the style will be different. The comedy will be different, it'll presumably have less of a focus on adventure since it's half-hour, and it won't look like TV did in the early '80s. The actors are different, the writers are different. For better or worse, it won't be the same. And then on top of that they're making changes to the base concept.

I'm not claiming that a more faithful remake would succeed, and I'm not claiming this will fail. I'm saying that a choice was made to make a reboot instead of an original show, and the strongest case for reboots/remakes is that they have a built-in audience...but that only works if the fanbase feels a meaningful connection between the new version and the thing that they already like. If studios want to capitalize on attachment/nostalgia like they apparently do, they need to commit to that. Speaking as one fan, they might as well have represented this as an original show.

I have only vague memories of the original but one thing jumps out at me. 30 minute shows, I don't know about that. Aside from Batman 66 how many SH shows have succeeded like that?

So, I was watching the Seahawks-Packers game today, and wouldn't you know it? State Farm drops this ad featuring Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, set to the series' classic theme song. And in a nod to the opening credits, the website address and phone number appear with that scrolling sparkle effect:

I'll give it a try. I loved that show as a kid, but recognize I am no longer the target audience, and that times have changed and so has marketing. I have no problem with it being a woman, as that was how they ended the original series, and being pissed because she's not Caucasian is pretty silly.

I just hope she's not a heavy drinker. That's a big turn-off for me and Jessica Jones.

I just hope she's not a heavy drinker. That's a big turn-off for me and Jessica Jones.

"whose talents include tequila drinking and karaoke and not much else"

"whose talents include tequila drinking and karaoke and not much else"

You might be reading too much into that limited description.

As I said, one of the people behind this is from the B---h in Apt 23. She was a lush, party girl with no job in a thirty minute sitcom, but it never really dealt with that. It just informed her character.

Last edited:
I'm not claiming that a more faithful remake would succeed, and I'm not claiming this will fail. I'm saying that a choice was made to make a reboot instead of an original show, and the strongest case for reboots/remakes is that they have a built-in audience...but that only works if the fanbase feels a meaningful connection between the new version and the thing that they already like. If studios want to capitalize on attachment/nostalgia like they apparently do, they need to commit to that. Speaking as one fan, they might as well have represented this as an original show.

Nostalgia is weird. For every Steven King's It that thrives off of nostalgia, there's a Fuller House that people like but it's no where near the culture phenomenon it was.

I don't know where GAH falls in terms of cultural awareness outside of the theme song. It's certainly not Star Trek where the names Spock, Kirk, Uhura have cultural awareness whether you've seen the OT version or not.

I would assume GAH is more in line with BSG where no one outside of hardcore nerds and kids of that time have any real affinity for the Starbuck or Cylons.

So it may very well be able to simply pull a BSG and ignore the original. Whether that will work on network tv or should have been on a FX/FXX is something else.

Last edited:
For me to watch this, it must have every character be the same gender, race, sexual preference, and affinity for alcohol as the original. Also, the lead white straight male must have curly blonde hair, and be whatever handed the original was (I'm assuming he was right-handed). Also, he must wear the same brand of underwear.

For me to watch this, it must have every character be the same gender, race, sexual preference, and affinity for alcohol as the original. Also, the lead white straight male must have curly blonde hair, and be whatever handed the original was (I'm assuming he was right-handed). Also, he must wear the same brand of underwear.

:woot:

To quote Damon Killian from 'Running Man,' "only in a rerun...":cwink:

A new series that will star a Indian american lead female named Meera, likes tequila and kareoke too in Cleveland and show only 30 minutes long with 1 camera use to film show.

How I feel about this idea is a damn tragety and a insult to the original series. It should be filed under garbage. Changing it from Ralph to a woman to suit the needs of bias reasons, making her drinking alcohol is the worse part and should not be in any show like that. The directors, writers, etc of that needs to NOT do that to a classic show I grew up on. I wanted a new G.A.Hseries but not like this. Garbage, rubbish, trash, filth, and a insult. What's next not having a Bill Maxwell or why not change him to African American too since they are every character to shut people up who.

Post comments below:

My comment would be... Why does this anger you or anyone? This sounds like you feel threatened by this reboot just because the lead is a woman and not Caucasian. Seriously that is what it comes across as. GAH is prime for a reboot as it was always A. Cult, and B. Kinda mediocre.

They have a lot of leeway in reinterpreting something like this. The basic concept is an ordinary American gets a suit from aliens that gives them powers, loses the manual and we see how this affects they life. Period. There is nothing about that basic concept that says it's integral that the character has to be a white, blond male.

I mean... Is this really an issue to get up in arms about? What's the fear and anger and palpable resentment over? Turn on your TV, tablet etc and watch any network, cable or streaming show... You are still gonna see shows with Caucasian leads, more so in English language production than anything else. So... What is the problem exactly? GAH is a GREEN LANTERN rip off. Just as with the ring anyone can get the suit and be the hero.

This smacks of the supposed "agenda" of the new Star Wars Saga films just because the lead is a female. How this is some kind of affront worthy of this level of anger baffles the hell out of me?

This smacks of the supposed "agenda" of the new Star Wars Saga films just because the lead is a female. How this is some kind of affront worthy of this level of anger baffles the hell out of me?

Couldn't agree more. This line of thinking is out of pocket. How does gender swapping hurt anyone unless you are some kind of sexist? If it offends you that badly, that says more about you than the creators of the program or the material.

My favorite complaint thus far:

Believe it or not, there are still white males who would like to see themselves portrayed on screen. Why are brownwashing and blackwashing okay but not whitewashing? My racism is better than your racism? Why is gender-switching characters okay from male to female but not female to male? My sexism is better than your sexism?

from the comments in this article: http://deadline.com/2017/09/the-greatest-american-hero-reboot-female-lead-abc-commitment-1202164782/

LOL @ this reboot/remake/whatever (which will only be the 2nd show ever AFAIK to star an Indian-American women) somehow meaning that the vast majority of shows on American tv don't star white males.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"