Green Arrow's rogues gallery

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
It seems to me green Arrow's rogues gallery could use some revamping. i was thinking how there are a ton of dc villains who work better as GA villains instead of where they are now:

Captain boomerang I: Before he died, I think he would have worked better as GA villain then a Flash villain. Boomerangs vs. arrows is way better than boomernags vs. super speed.

Toyman: This guy doesn't work as a Superman villain, he isn't powerful enough and his status as a psychotic child killer makes really seem jarring in Superman's world. I think he would work better as an GA villain, he would fit better in GA's world.

Clock King: Though Tockman is dead, I heard DC is planning on introducing the Temple Fugate version of the character in teen Titans. I think he should be in Green arrow instead. Fugate having grudge against a new corrupt mayor of star City and GA getting in his way would be interesting match up.

I dunno, I think Deathstroke, Brick, the goatee assassin guy, and onamonapia(sp), and merlyn were a pretty strong gallery of rogues. plus now there's the cloud assassin as well.

I dunno, I think Deathstroke, Brick, the goatee assassin guy, and onamonapia(sp), and merlyn were a pretty strong gallery of rogues. plus now there's the cloud assassin as well.

Deathstroke is a Teen Ttians villain and he should stay there. A few good villains do not make a good rogues gallery, he could use a few more.

Plus some of ones you mentioned, you can't even rember their names. Not very memorable.

Yeah, he should stay there, because God forbid a writer goes against the status quo and uses a character beyond what every writer before has done.

Onomatopoeia (Jesus Christ, I hope I spelled that right) was a pretty interesting villain, one I'd definitely like to see more of down the line.

And he was a new character to the DCU. Green Arrow doesnt need the scraps of others when it comes to rogues. There's a reason clock king and boomer I weren't written often. They arent that interesting of characters. I'm sure there are plenty of capable writers out there able to create new interesting villians for GA w/o resorting to bad guy leftovers.

True. It seems that every time a new villain is introduced, they get used for that one storyline and then we never see them again. That is, until there's some big crisis and they can be seen in the lower left corner of a splash page somewhere.

Yeah, he should stay there, because God forbid a writer goes against the status quo and uses a character beyond what every writer before has done.

No, he should stay that way because he has history with the Ttians, he is their nemesis, its like making Joker a Flash villain.

as for Clock King not being written well, do you think BTAS Clock King is a bad character? A villain can be as interesting as the writer wants him to be.

hahaha, i like you sensei. you should really speak up more.

No, he should stay that way because he has history with the Ttians, he is their nemesis, its like making Joker a Flash villain.

as for Clock King not being written well, do you think BTAS Clock King is a bad character? A villain can be as interesting as the writer wants him to be.

And you are against reading a story where it's flash v. joker? that sounds like a great story to me written by the right person. why do you put such limits on what you would read? I guess batman v. luthor is just out of the question for you.

And bad place, you are contradicting the bad place out of yourself. By your logic, boomerang is a flash rogue, and can only be a flash rogue. Your reign of terror must end.

And you are against reading a story where it's flash v. joker? that sounds like a great story to me written by the right person. why do you put such limits on what you would read? I guess batman v. luthor is just out of the question for you.

And bad place, you are contradicting the bad place out of yourself. By your logic, boomerang is a flash rogue, and can only be a flash rogue. Your reign of terror must end.

No, I have problem with Joker being considered a Flash rogue, instead of bat rogue. There is a difference between someone's nemesis fighting someone else and said nemesis switching rogues gallery.

Boomerang is not Flash's nemesis, that's the difference. People didn't mind that kingpin became a DD villain because he was never a really big Spider-Man villan, but if dr. octopus became a DD villain, that would be jarring.

I don't think they have a laminated card saying which rogue gallery they belong in.

What I'm saying is, you picked a bunch of lame ash villians and are trying to dump them on GA. One of which is dead btw. And you wouth rather not use interesting villans who actually have motivation (remember that time Ollie stabbed Slade in the eye socket?) because they "belong" to a different hero.

He's got a history with Ollie, too. Ollie beat him in a ridiculously painful and, by Slade's standards, fairly humiliating way, and now he likes kicking the tar out of him every now and then to prove he's still better.

I remember an issue of Superman, old enough to probably be out of continuity by now, where The Joker went to Metropolis and messed up some ***** for Superman. It was fantastic.
I'm as guilty as the next guy of going "The Joker fighting Green Lantern? Wha-Wha-Whaaaaat?" when something of the sort happens, but I agree with WompuM that those stories can be great.

More often than not they won't be, but they can be.

And thanks WompuM, I've decided to venture out and not spend all my time in the RPG section of the Hype.

This is actually the only reason why I'm reading this thread, personally. It's good for a couple laughs. :applaud:up:

GA's built up a pretty good rogues gallery since his return. Merlin, Drakkon, Deathstroke, Otomonipia, Brick. Some guys are lucky to get one good villain, he's got several.

Also, I don't get how Captain Boomerang would have made a better GA villain. Boomer is a Flash villain. He's a member of The Rogues, probably one of the few rogues galleries in comics that is a functioning team, as opposed to a handful of random antagonists who all dislike the same person. No member of The Rogues would be anywhere near as interesting on their own. What makes them some of the best villains in DC is their team dynamic, almost familial in nature, as well as their strange love/hate relationship with The Flash and the respective police forces of Central City and Keystone City.

I especially liked Brick. He was an unexpected threat on all fronts. Ollie, the police, other criminals. Everybody was blindsided by him. You don't expect "the muscle" to be that smart, that invulnerable, or that ballsy.

Also, I don't get how Captain Boomerang would have made a better GA villain. Boomer is a Flash villain. He's a member of The Rogues, probably one of the few rogues galleries in comics that is a functioning team, as opposed to a handful of random antagonists who all dislike the same person. No member of The Rogues would be anywhere near as interesting on their own. What makes them some of the best villains in DC is their team dynamic, almost familial in nature, as well as their strange love/hate relationship with The Flash and the respective police forces of Central City and Keystone City.

The problem is flash looks like an idiot when he doesn't take out Boomer in one panel, Boomer is out of his league fighting Flash. At least Cold stop molecules, that something.

Boomerang is more dangerous than Cap. Boomer and Myers is just a C-list Spidey villain.

More cold and calculating villains would be good for GA. Nutjobs are a bit overused, and we can't have him going up against anyone too powerful or we'll have Supes flying in all the time to clean up (like those mindless Ogre type guys who were mutated immigrant construction workers or something). I think Captain America has always had a good assortment of villains. Lots of tech powered fighters and semi-powerful underlings of mastermind type bosses. Ollie could do with more like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"