Bane's place in the rogues gallery post-Rises

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by jmc, Mar 31, 2013.

1. batfreakforever

batfreakforever A real fan

Is Bane really the anti-Batman in TDKR? If so what makes him the anti-Batman? Did Nolans/Goyer give Batman & Bane more incommon with eachother that the comics? Is it as simple as Bane can't take off his mask and move past his pain but Bruce/Batman can and is that another reason why the film-makers made it so Bane couldnt take off the mask? Or reasons why he made them both train by Ra's? Bruce survived 8yrs without Batman but Bane could'nt without his mask? Lindy hemming said something like Bane wears armour because he damaged his back but Bruce also gets his back damaged and is able to recover (maybe nolan didnt want that said in the film cause it might be too on the nose?) I think it was good that they didn't make Bane afraid of bats thats why he goes for Batman, I like the LOS reasons better!

2. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

- Rachel runs out for his mom and Alfred to help Bruce in Batman Begins; Talia escapes the Pit and finds her father to wreak havoc in the Pit and in the midst of it, Ra's saves Bane. Also, Ra's finds Bruce as well in a prison, much as how he found Bane in a prison(the Pit).

- Bruce and Bane are trained by Ra's al Ghul, and both left the LoS but under very much different circumstances.

- Bane breaks Batman and leaves him in the Pit to suffer but Bruce heals up from his pain and escapes; Bane is left to suffer through pain all of his life and never truly escaped the Pit himself since he was saved. Bruce was saved as well when he was young, but he made the climb up to the Pit himself.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  3. Snow Queen

Excerpt from an analysis I wrote:

4. batfreakforever

Really cool post. Could you think of a good meaphor/reason why the Nolans/Goyer just blew Bane away? I know some fans were pissed but there has to be another reason apart from catwoman guns policy and Batman no kill rules?

5. batfreakforever

Plus why do you think Bruce couldn't stay living as Bruce wayne but now he lives under another name because of the clean slate device, is it beacause he wants to really start from scratch or a CLEAN SLATE not as a WAYNE but his own life?

6. batfreakforever

plus Bane is just Bane he cant be anybody else but Bruce can?

7. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I think Bane remained relatively the same on the scale in my head. Being that I was born in the 90s he's always kind of been around. He may not have been an A villain. But I wouldnt say less than a B...

Here's how I would rank them:
    A villains - Bat villains everyone and their mother has heard of them, dressed their dog up as them, and dressed up as a ****ty version of them for halloween.

Joker
    Two-Face
    Catwoman
    Riddler
    Penguin

B villains - Many non-comic fans have seen them, but often don't recognize them by name.

Poison Ivy
    Scarecrow
    Mr. Freeze
    Bane
    Ra's Al Ghul
    Harley Quinn

C villains - would likely be villains only comic fans have heard of, but still important to Batman mythos, or well-developed characters.

Talia Al Ghul
    Hugo Strange
    Killer Croc
    Black Mask
    Hush
    Clayface
    Mad Hatter
    Victor Zsasz

D villains - would be those who had a single comic run, probably won't ever be featured in a film and are often used as plot devices. Or they are poorly developed, nonsense characters that appear way more often than they should.

Calendar Man
    Tweedles
    Ventriloquist
    Man-Bat
    Killer Moth

F villains - are the rest. single use, disposable villains that never should have been thought up. There are plenty. I won't try to list any.

8. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I don't know if this is a metaphor or "reason" per se, but it could just be that an unceremonious, sudden demise was the best kind of poetic justice for the character. He nonchalantly killed many people in very sudden, brutal ways throughout the movie and was planning to go out in a blaze of glory at the end. A cannon to the chest was a pretty brutal way for him to go out, and pretty inglorious indeed.

But truly, I feel Bane is done (spiritually speaking) after he's defeated by Batman. That massive pride of his has already taken a huge hit, and his legend has been deflated right before his enemy.

9. Snow Queen

Thank you.

Honestly, I saw that more as time constraints. Bane was already beaten, it was just a matter of making sure he didn't get up for the climax.

EDIT: And as BatLobsterRises says, it's a bit of poetic justice.

The way I saw it, he had finally learned to live and move on (cleaning his slate) and wanted to live without people hounding him as Bruce Wayne. He's finally ready to live life on his own terms rather than anyone else's.

Bane definitely could have become someone better, however, he never let go of his pain and escaped that mental barrier (symbolized by The Pit/The well). That's the difference between Bruce and Bane. Bruce learns to move on and end his self destructive existence that collapsed by the beginning of TDKR while Bane allows his pain to control him. Bruce escapes the Pit to conquer his pain, Bane wears a mask to escape confronting his pain.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. Anno_Domini

A metaphor could be the Nolans/Goyer just wanted to get Bane away from the picture :funny:

He wanted to kill Bruce in a cheap manner, so he got a cheap death. That's how I see it. I don't mind the death myself except I'd change it up with these: Catwoman doesn't have a witty line after she kills Bane and the scene just jumps to something else, and during Gordon's speech at the end, while we see Gothamites walking out of their houses, the orphans looking where the nuke detonated, we get a snippet of City Hall where a police officer walks out of the building holding unto Bane's shattered mask.

Read your post again and ask yourself if you're asking a very silly question, lol. Why would Bruce Wayne want to leave Gotham but still be called Bruce Wayne especially when he's dead in the eyes of Gotham?

11. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

I love the contrast of Bruce's mindset and how he reacts to Bane stalking him up the staircase during fight II as apposed to fight I. Brilliant.

12. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Heck yeah. First desperation, then composure and pure determination. Bale really emoted well from within the cowl.

13. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

I also love how when Bane catches his punch in the second fight; Batman just keeps pushing forward. And the grunts Bale was letting out while doing that was beyond bad ass. Bruce was not losing that rematch.

14. batfreakforever

I know the reason behind them all I just like asking people because they might pick up on something else that I have not.

15. Anno_Domini

See, that contrast is the reason why I wanted someone, like an officer, to walk out of City Hall with Bane's broken mask because it would go in stride with how Bane just walked off carrying Bruce's broken cowl in his hand while Bruce laid there motion less until his men dragged him off. So many different things that contrast the two battles(even in the time frame as the first fight was almost a clean two minutes extra of just Bane taunting Batman while in the second it was all business between the two).

16. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

WOW :bow::bow::bow:

17. batfreakforever

That is a very good write up that Gotham's Knight did. If more people read that maybe more people can see what these films have to offer. Fantastic mate.

18. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah I'm not seeing it. I don't think Luchador mask when I look at Spidey's mask.

19. badgrammar

badgrammar Well-Known Member

LOL, in this Scan, didn’t Bane solved the Riddler’s Riddle and injected him with Venom so Bane could analyzed Batman when he confronts Riddler on Venom?

20. OutRiddled

OutRiddled Well-Known Member

All these guys have potential. What they did with Calendar Man was great.. They could show up in future media.

21. Anno_Domini

Killer Moth has potential? :huh:

22. badgrammar

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You’re comparing a $140 million budget movie to a fan that bought a ten dollar Bane mask from HotTopic. Your argument is highly invalid. You have selective thinking. Like most comic book fans

23. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Correct. Batman # 490.

Fine, you want a more expensive version, here you go:

[​IMG]

I still see a Luchador mask.

24. badgrammar

First of all, that move is a joke. second of all ,they can make the original bane mask look like spiderman's movie mask if they wanted too. He looks like a luchador in "Batman and Robin" because that is what they were going for with Bane's look.

25. OutRiddled

OutRiddled Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's like the anti-Batman..

More faithful look than Tom Hardy. :o