Bane's place in the rogues gallery post-Rises

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by jmc, Mar 31, 2013.

1. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Penguin is easily more well known than Two Face, Mr. Freeze or any of the others. He's up there with Joker and Catwoman in the iconic/recognizable department.

He even makes cameos in things like Family Guy and The Simpsons:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I would think the average person (and I'm thinking about people that have probably never read a comic book, but have seen the Batman tv show, or maybe one of the Burton films) would be familiar with Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman and probably Mr.Freeze. Most of my friends didnt' even know who Two face was, let alone Bane.

3. RAINMAKER

RAINMAKER Well-Known Member

I guess we saw two different movies, because I saw Bruce get his butt kicked twice by Ra's. He may not have the brutality of Bane, but he was a physical threat.
    It doesn't matter what you use, if you can't defend yourself against it, your opponent is a physical threat to you.
    Bane, Ra's and Joker have different styles, but they all ended up kicking Batman's butt. I don't agree that you actually have to "break" someone to be a "physical threat". The Joker stabbed him, which could've killed Batman. In my opinion, that person is a "physical threat" to me.
    It depends on what your definition of it is. In all 3 movies, Batman got handled, something I didn't like. But when people say that he hasn't had a "physical threat", that isn't accurate.

I understand where you guys are coming from in terms of "looks" or what you know about the villans, but to dismiss Ra's Al Ghul as a "physical threat" is pretty ridiculous. But I guess it's been a pet peeve of mine that people are throwing around the term "physical threat" a little loosely. If Batman easily won every fight until Bane, I'd agree. But he didn't.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. The Joker

Then by that logic just about every villain in Batman's rogues gallery has been a physical threat to him at some time or another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you really think that when anyone thinks which villain is a physical challenge for Batman they think of the likes of Penguin, Joker and Riddler?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. jmc

jmc away for a while

It's not a loose term at all, the facts of film one and two were Batman was never physically beaten. There's no denying that, he was challenged by Ra's and maybe Ra's could have beaten him but he didn't, The Joker challenged him psychologically but was never in any dangers of getting beaten in a fight with him, at no point throughout films one and two was Batman in any real personal danger from any of those characters physically. You can't base it all on assumptions that characters 'may' have beaten him, the truth is they simply didn't. So in that sense Bane actually was the physical threat Batman never encountered. Dismissing Ra's is not ridiculous, it's the truth, Bruce became his superior. With Bane the odds were always even, probably even leaning toward the villain.

6. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Thank you! There has to be some back and forth with the big showdowns in the finale of the films. Batman practically ran through everyone in TDK, and had already beaten Joker down in the interrogation room, not to mention defeating him and his goons at the penthouse with relative ease. Joker getting the upper-hand during the prewitt building scene was fine. It added to the drama of "will the people blow each other up?" on the ferries.

7. RAINMAKER

RAINMAKER Well-Known Member

He beat him in Wayne Manor. He didn't physically beat him down like Bane, but he didn't need to nor could he because of the fire. Bruce would've died if it weren't for Alfred.
    He was stabbed by the Joker and could've died. I get he won't beat Batman in a fist fight, but his life was in danger from his encounter with the Joker. This is where I'm coming from. This is my whole argument.
    The pics say it all. Yes.
    No, that's not my point. When people say a "physical threat", I cringe. I think a better term would be "physically imposing". But that's just me. And yes, Bane was that but Ra's, Joker, Zsasz and scarecrow weren't. If that term was used, I wouldn't be complaining about it.

I'll give you guys the last word if you'd like and I'll give it a rest.:cwink:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

He's a solid second tier villain. Nowhere near the big 5 who are used in most media forms, and are nigh untouchable, but higher than the likes of Killer Croc or Harley Quinn. I'd say it goes:

Joker
    Catwoman
    Riddler
    Two-Face
    Penguin

R'as Al Ghul (not only for appearing in two films, but the main villain of the main events of Arkham City)
    Scarecrow
    Bane
    Poison Ivy
    Harley Quinn
    Talia Al Ghul

Firefly
    Deadshot
    Hush
    Zsasz
    Black Mask

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

You have Harley twice.

10. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll edit, didn't realise I had done that :p

11. jmc

jmc away for a while

Could've, should've, would've, if my uncle had breasts he'd be my aunty. Your whole argument is based on things that 'might' have happened. The whole point is none of them physically beat him to a bloody pulp did they? So, yes, Bruce lacked a physical threat whether you want to acknowledge it or not because not once throughout the series until Rises has he come across someone who in many ways was superior to him.

12. batfreakforever

batfreakforever A real fan

Bane is mainly known for breaking the bat in the comic books and now because of Nolan thats what he is known for in the movie universe now. Is that good enough for the character on film?

13. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

Hight security henchman - from Arkham Asylum

Looks familiar ?

[​IMG]

14. jmc

jmc away for a while

I guess the issue is he's kind of a one trick pony then if that's all he's known for. I think the revolutionary/dictator qualities Nolan brought in is a good starting point, but the character really needs to evolve a lot more in the comic and animation if he's to be given another shot on film later down the line. Do we really need another Bane movie with him breaking Batman? I can't think of any other major villain in the gallery that's only really known for one major story line and that really does need to change if DC want to capitalize on the characters new found level of fame.

15. Anno_Domini

Your years and years late on this one man, lol.

16. badgrammar

badgrammar Well-Known Member

what is the difference from bane's mask from Spiderman's mask or Spawn's mask?

I like the simple "Vengance of Bane" look. K.I.S.S.

every cartoon and video game creators try to add something to Bane, and make him look stupid.

Nolan's Bane is ok.

I guess Spiderman looks like luchador since he originaly started as a wrestler.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  17. badgrammar

Am I the only one that hates that mask?

18. The Joker

They don't look like Luchador masks lol.

19. badgrammar

if that was true then Nolan would of never used Bane. Bane was the most underrated Villiains of Batman way before the Dark Knigh Rises.

20. badgrammar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the same kind of masks to me.

21. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Yeah, and ironically Peter gets the inspiration for his Spider-Man mask from a luchador mask in ASM.

22. badgrammar

This

23. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

:csad::oldrazz:

24. jmc

jmc away for a while

In regards to the mask, I think it probably would look better in real life than in comics, but at the same time the mask in the comics is outdated. A middle ground I think can be found.

25. Anno_Domini

I SO ****ING HATE THAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, sorry...got carried away :oldrazz:

At least in the '02 film, Peter's wrestling mask is ****.