Green Lantern - Blu-ray, DVD Thread

What was added did not have a any of CGI/motion capture (but there were some special effects). The film was shortened so that they could air the film one or two extra times a day in each theater. Purely a maximize revenue move.

That was WB's thinking to generate maximum possible collections by getting more shows per day, but had they decided to show the Extended Blu Ray Cut as the Theatrical release I think some reviews of the movie might have improved.

I was talking about the originally planned CGI scenes on Oa and the final battle scene where Sinestro, Tomar Re and Kilowog come to help out Hal, these scenes would have increased the budget, I would have liked to see the full movie as initially planned but then the budget would have sky rocketed.

Although I liked the film I thought there was alot of wasted money in it, They could easily have saved money by using real suits and used practical effects when it came to some of the aliens, the guardians alone could have been done with puppets.

Agreed, the suits just didnt need to be CG, and even Kilowog could have been a guy in a suit, look at the Hellboy movies for crying out loud.

Oh, no, it was longer. There was an entire (6 or 7 minute) scene added at the beginning of the film after the opening.

Someone asked what was extended OTHER than that scene, thats what I was referring too, the rest of the movie after the kids one.

Gentlemen there is something I would like to contribute to the discussion. Now let me be honest, I am not a GL or DC fan, but I am not trying to troll, just bring another perspective.

What happened to GL is called 'Front-Ending'. Basically it involves (as people said above)editing a movie to make it shorter so that there can be more showings in the opening weekend and maximise it's opening weekend BO.

99% of the time front-ending is done because test screenings have shown that the movie is bad, people do not like it, and once word-of-mouth gets out it's going to have a massive drop off in BO. So they try to maximise opening weekend BO. Unfortunately front-ending usually makes an already bad movie worse.

It's unfortunate that this happened, but studio interference in editing mostly happens when they already have a bad movie on their hands and they feel a need to intervene to rescue the situation.

Last edited:
^Yeah I think anyone on this web-site is familiar with the concept, its why we get so many extended editions on BD also because they put out the proper version of the movie. Happened most recently to The Wolfman, Sucker Punch, and now GL. But if WB had kept the extended version and got some better reviews it may have made a bit more money.

Maybe but probably not. The studio tends to do this when things are really BAD. I have seen many people on this site berate WB because of their interfering, but the most likely reason they did this was that Martin Campbell and co. had already made a really bad movie that had failed in test screenings.

^Wouldnt surprise me, it seems from the start this movie wasnt managed correctly, Campbell seemed to have no enthusiasm for the character at all so I dont think his heart was in it.

^Wouldnt surprise me, it seems from the start this movie wasnt managed correctly, Campbell seemed to have no enthusiasm for the character at all so I dont think his heart was in it.

Interesting thought, but why did he accept the task of directing it in first place ?

Would Captain America and Green Lantern benefited if Joe Johnston and Martin Campbell had taken up each others movie projects ? :oldrazz:

Interesting thought, but why did he accept the task of directing it in first place ?

Money and getting another blockbuster under his belt would be my guess, for some reason everyone at WB thought GL was a sure-fire money makes no matter what they churned out.

Would Captain America and Green Lantern benefited if Joe Johnston and Martin Campbell had taken up each others movie projects ? :oldrazz:

Well Captain America turned out okay so it was obvious Johnston was a fan, I doubt he would have done any differently than Campbell with GL, and vice-versa, as Campbell doesnt seem a fan of any comic-book characters or even sci-fi for that matter.

Just watched again and gets better. Extended beginning adds a lot. Never understood complaints about editing,that inter-cutting between GL and Hammond are among my favorite parts of the film. Shows how strongly their arc is tied together. Just transitions to and from Oa seem out of place, like too much of a contrast from the Earth scenes.

Last edited:
The movie does get better on repeat viewings and the extended does add a lot to the movie, I think the editing was more about the theatrical version, the extended just seems to flow better for some reason even with most of it being the same.

Have finally saw the Extended Cut, i post my review on this thread, if someone interesting to read, just go here

Money and getting another blockbuster under his belt would be my guess, for some reason everyone at WB thought GL was a sure-fire money makes no matter what they churned out.

^ That still confuses me.
I remember reading online a year and a half ago about how confident WB was in the film, to the point where they had already greenlit a sequel even before the first trailer had been released. That single fact alone was what kept me anticipating the film as much as I did, and was probably why I was so let down opening night.
I guess WB just figured, hey, we got Ryan Reynolds, super bankable leading man + Super hot leading lady + untouched superhero property + a butt ton of special effects = guaranteed hit.
That being said, I loved this video that the onion made before the movie came out: [YT]qRrCIvw8DRQ[/YT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Its like WB thought they just had to turn up and the name alone would sell tickets, its not like that anymore, I think people take notice of reviews quite a lot when it comes to CB movies these days, and with this movie it told.

I fixed the youtube link for you.

Wal-Mart Exclusive said:
013gm.jpg

What material is it made out of? :wow:

The extra 6 minutes doesn't really add anything to the film for me. The clear lack of completed/extended scenes missing due to the CGI complexity/not being done on time is what would have made this better in one regard. I'm glad Sony upped their skills in the CGI department for this, but they needed better time management and more manpower I think. I still enjoy the film, but it saddens me to think of what we missed out on.

^I think the extended version improves the movie quite a lot on repeat viewings, I find myslef getting more into the story with the the new beginning and more into the characters, even the supporting ones like Carol's and Hector's respective father's. We still should have got a lot better than we did, but I appreciate the movie more now than I did in the cinema.

That was WB's thinking to generate maximum possible collections by getting more shows per day, but had they decided to show the Extended Blu Ray Cut as the Theatrical release I think some reviews of the movie might have improved.

I was talking about the originally planned CGI scenes on Oa and the final battle scene where Sinestro, Tomar Re and Kilowog come to help out Hal, these scenes would have increased the budget, I would have liked to see the full movie as initially planned but then the budget would have sky rocketed.

Do we even know if those scenes were even shot? I doubt it.

So as of October 23 (2 weeks sales):

Total DVD Sales:..........$8,191,166
Total Blu-Ray Sales:....$19,406,070
Total Video Sales........$27,597,236

Add that to the WW BO gross and you are just a tad under $250 million, which is a little over $30 million short of breaking even.

Its upto about $27 million in complete home sales according to The-Numbers.com, hopefully it can stay in the chart for at least another month or so.

Its upto about $27 million in complete home sales according to The-Numbers.com, hopefully it can stay in the chart for at least another month or so.

Nah, let it sink like it deserves so WB gets the message even harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"