Green Lantern - Blu-ray, DVD Thread

Been watching the documentary's on the Blu Ray, my god quite possibly the bet making of for a film I've ever watched.

So, given that the movie was a near total failure, does that mean they are clearly showing us what NOT to do? :cwink:

Yeah that scene was in the original cut

I'm pretty sure there's more dialogue between Hal and Jason Jordan.

I also think the film benefits from having the backstory where Hal's Dad dies at the start.

So, given that the movie was a near total failure, does that mean they are clearly showing us what NOT to do? :cwink:

Haha well I'm still blaming the script. I think they got the right cast, the script just needed work and I think in it Parallax and Hector Hammond should have been more of a threat. I also think it would have been beneficial to have had Hal team up with Sinestro at the end of the film.

Eh, I still think the main problem was the direction. With a few minor changes that script could've been okay, and the film would've been a ton less campy.

Eh, I still think the main problem was the direction. With a few minor changes that script could've been okay, and the film would've been a ton less campy.

Yeah actually I agree with that

Same. The cast was game, but it felt like Campbell was off. It was unfortunate.

^As far as I remember that was in the theatrical cut, in fact i'm pretty sure it was, all of the added stuff is at the start but it does make a difference to the movie.

Must be losing my memory... ;)

It's like he intentionally tried to make it hammy and reminiscent of those old sci-fi movies that the MSTK3 guys would be making fun of.

So have Green Lanterns Blu Ray and DVD sales been good worldwide?

I do not have any numbers for worldwide sales, but when GL was in theaters (where I live.) it was in theaters for three weeks, Cap. America was for only one week and Thor lasted for five weeks.

Interestingly, when I was at the local theater before GL movie was about to start there were few dudes who were talking loudly that GL is a Marvel property and only DC properties were Batman and Superman.

At a local DVD store all GL copies have been sold out, Cap. America is still there almost all copies unsold, Thor is doing well. Additionally, GL action figures from Mattel are also selling well.

The-Numbers.com doesn't keep accurate numbers like BOM does with theatrical grosses, but according to them GL has sold $17.7M worth of units. Not a good sign.

I think if the number was around $40M-$80M, I think WB would consider a sequel.

The-Numbers.com doesn't keep accurate numbers like BOM does with theatrical grosses, but according to them GL has sold $17.7M worth of units. Not a good sign.

I think if the number was around $40M-$80M, I think WB would consider a sequel.

"Note: Sales tracking currently includes only the DVD versions of the movie. Blu-ray and HD DVD sales are not included at this time."

This is on the sales page, that's just DVD. I don't know how to find current Blu-Ray numbers but back in November Green Lantern had 12 and half million in DVDs and 25 million in Blu-Rays. So even if Blu-Ray sales came to a complete stand-still, it's still over 40 million dollars.

Also, do they only monitor American sales or?

Last edited:
I hope the DVD and Blu sales are good, wouldn't harm its chances of getting a sequel. I hope WB's realise the potential of this franchise.

Overall collections as on 12 th Nov 2011 are -

Worldwide Gross: $222,001,172

Blu Ray Sales Figures: $31,158,079 (US)

DVD Sales figure as on 8 th Jan 2012 are -
17.74 mil.

so total (DVD+ old figures of Blu Ray sales) add up to - 48.8 mil.

I think the actual total figures may be higher as we do not know the current Blu Ray sales numbers.

^Thats just US sales as well, the world-wide numbers are probably more but I'm not sure how much the studio earns from international BD/DVD sales

Watched my blu extended cut this evening and can honestly say I prefer GL ext to Captain America. Doubtful anyone will agree with me but who cares! :woot:

Watched my blu extended cut this evening and can honestly say I prefer GL ext to Captain America. Doubtful anyone will agree with me but who cares! :woot:

I agree. I loved the **** out of Cap, Thor, and First Class. But Green Lantern, along with Red State and Hesher, are definitely my favorites from 2011.

While I cant agree that its better than Cap, and especially Thor and FC, I do find myself enjoying the EE more and more the more I watch it, its an enjoyable movie, some different decisions could have turned it into a good one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"