Grindhouse: Planet Terror/Death Proof w/SUPER Review Poll

Shifty

Chief of Surgery
Reaction score
Grindhouse3.jpg

You've seen the trailer, read the plot, know the attractive women in it and know whose making it. You know it should be good.

But that still can't prepare you for... The Grindhouse.

Planet Terror

I haven't seen any zombie movie other than 28 Days Later. They just do not interest me, but I'm sure they're good. After watching Planet Terror I may check some of them out!

Its just action, cliche characters (which is good), and over the top violence with some scares thrown in. And a lot of it is funny. Robert Rodriguez's music score is probably one of the best things in Grindhouse, fits it like a glove. Tom Savini makes a great cameo. Bruce Willis is Bruce Willis, he can do no wrong here. Lost fans will be marking out for Naveen Andrews. Quentin Tarantino really is the scariest ****ed up rapist onscreen ever. You'll see. Michael Biehn somehow makes the stereotypical small town sheriff likeable. The movie is just a blast. Adding the scratches, lines, missing reels just adds to the experiences, and makes me actually miss seeing them. Sure having a clear picture looks great but there is something about the worn out look that makes up part of the theatre experience. We've traded that in for people with cell phones. Planet Terror had to be the film to kick off or else Grindhouse wouldn't have been that great.

10/10 - The DVDs better have the "lost reel".

About the zombies... and this is for those who are curios where the virus came from.
Osama is responsible! Yes, the big terrorist man himself.

Death Proof

This was a Tarantino movie but wasn't the better of the two. Maybe if I was a fan of the movies that inspired Death Proof or was a gear head and loved cars I would've enjoyed it more. Still its a great ride. They need to show the crashes to high school students to scare them straight. Buckle up and don't speed. Tarantino builds the anticipation for this film, introducing people and dropping in on them and watching them one Friday night. Plenty of dialogue, you would think everyone was just improvising. Stuntman Mike will leave his mark in cinema. Kurt Russell is having a ball playing this character, knowing that this film is so much better than half the stuff he's worked on in his career. The only problem with Death Proof is that there is no sympathy for the characters that Mike stalks or Mike himself. You want to see him get off by terrorizing them. Then it just gets ugly. However, things change and it has quite and ending. Tarantino made a great effort in trying to make the best car chase sequence.

8/10

The Trailers
Don't
Will Arnett is the highlight as the announcer for this Britsploitation film.

Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving dinner will never be the same. This was the most outrageous trailer.

Machete

This was probably the funniest trailer.

Werewolf Women of the S.S

People were getting up to go to the bathroom so expect that to happen when the trailers play. Anyway this one was crazy and
Nicholas Cage does his best work since Adaptation.

But probably the best part of the whole night was the the winner of the South By Southwest (SXSW) International Grindhouse Trailer Competition, Hobo with a Shotgun. The audience loved it, maybe you've seen it but this needs to be made into a low budget Canadian film.

The press screening audience applauded when it ended but you could sense it wasn't full of diehard Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino fans. So see the film this weekend if you can, this is why you go to the movies to escape into some ****ed up adventure.

After it was over my friend and I looked at each other and saw that 300 was playing soon, puts you in the perfect mood for it but we had to go.

The most fun three hours in a theatre you'll have until the next Grindhouse.

Machete is already going to be a dtv film.

I wasn't into DP at first and was beginning to expect it to serve as a weak link, but I loved it by the end.
I think both stories were near perfect as what they tried to be.

Machete is already going to be a dtv film.

I wasn't into DP at first and was beginning to expect it to serve as a weak link, but I loved it by the end.
I think both stories were near perfect as what they tried to be.

I know that but just seeing what people thought should be a film. The Weinsteins were just waiting to see how the trailer was received to go forward with the rest of the filming.

The Trailers
Don't
Will Arnett is the highlight as the announcer for this Britsploitation film.

:wow:

I didn't think I could get anymore hyped up for this movie (or I guess, movies).

But 1,000,000,000,000,000% even more excited to see Grindhouse now.

LOL It's gonna be so funny listen to Gob Bluth narrate that trailer.

But yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Tarantino...I enjoy a few of his movies (although I thought Kill Bill was crappola), but never saw him as the movie god a lot of people fancy him as. I have NO interest in death proof, the concept just sucks, no matter who they have as a director/star (and kurt is the ****).

I am really looking forward to PT and the trailers, and I hope Death Proof comes out watchable at worst.

Anyways... having seen both 'movies', I both thought they were perfect for what they tried to be.

I'll make a more in-depth review later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"