Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

During the A4 reshoots just keep his arse dusted!!! And release him from his contract. Simple as that.

I can't blame him for not wanting to work there anymore, though selfishly, I want him to stay as he's been my favorite part of the Guardians films, and I can't imagine it being as enjoyable without him. It is Disney's loss if he leaves.

But these characters can be put on the shelf in favor of building up the eternals, fan4stic, x-men and surfing silver. There’s room to have a lot of humor especially with the fan4istic team. They have to choose their crew very carefully

If he leaves , Disney will come down on him like a ton of bricks ,quite gladly, for breaking his contract. If they fire him, he looks like a martyr and makes Disney from a fan PR POV look worse. If they let him walk, then that would probably be the best outcome for both sides .

It be a shame if Dave B goes , but the MCU is bigger than one actor and a director . Heck, its bigger than the whole GOTG cast and characters at this point. Had this stuff happened during the foundation of the MCU a decade ago, it would be much worse for the universe going forward.

But given where we are now, and given that Spiderman, Black Panther, Deadpool, The X Men, F4, and Captain Marvel are basically now all under the same banner for the first time, in addition to all the other characters Disney /Marvel have at their disposal, its hard to argue that the MCU can't and won't move forward despite this current drama.

It may move forward without some great players, but ultimately , it'll survive this mess simply because Disney is too powerful at this point .

It would be funnier if Disney just made him be on set & do what he agreed to do & Dave is there kicking & screaming. Or just keep the Guardians dead post Infinity War & retcon it that Rocket & Nebula also died & they are never mentioned again like they never existed. Give the Guardians screen time towards other characters while they are reshooting & call it a day

There is absolutely no reason to write off the whole group. Especially characters like Rocket that are relatively easy to recast. Bautista and even Drax aren't that important. You could easily do GOTG without Drax, if you have to.

They only had one more movie planned with the original group & with X-Men & Fantastic Four coming back plenty of characters can take Guardians slot. The MCU will survive without the Guardians

Well, they could, but there is no reason to. GOTG is a proven franchise.

But these characters can be put on the shelf in favor of building up the eternals, fan4stic, x-men and surfing silver. There’s room to have a lot of humor especially with the fan4istic team. They have to choose their crew very carefully
They picked the GOTG to kick off this whole Cosmic thing. They wouldn't just shelve them, people have seen X-Men and Fantastic 4 to death. Yes they were not MCU but I am pretty sure GOTG has been a bigger success than any of the X-Men and F4 movies. They were fresh and different, I think Batista just needs time he will be back.

I don’t know if any team film will have the longevity of X-Men done right (and Avengers and JL although they aren’t relevant here), due to the ability to have a continually rotating roster and huge choice of potential members. It can be kept fresh for decades as a result.

They could replace him. Disney has removed directors and other folks off from films. If they genuinely want to continue with GG3 and Bautista is proving to be a problem they could replace him. I hope they don’t but who knows. I think Sam Raimi or Jon Favreau would be good choices for replacement directors

They picked the GOTG to kick off this whole Cosmic thing. They wouldn't just shelve them, people have seen X-Men and Fantastic 4 to death. Yes they were not MCU but I am pretty sure GOTG has been a bigger success than any of the X-Men and F4 movies. They were fresh and different, I think Batista just needs time he will be back.

Fantastic Four, in particular, is a risky property right now due to how tarnished the brand has become. GOTG is simply a safer bet.

They could replace him. Disney has removed directors and other folks off from films. If they genuinely want to continue with GG3 and Bautista is proving to be a problem they could replace him. I hope they don’t but who knows. I think Sam Raimi or Jon Favreau would be good choices for replacement directors

I liked Bautista too, but at the end of the day Drax isn't the Iron Man or Captain America of the team. He's the Hawkeye. Other than Mantis, he's the least important member. He can be replaced with Cosmo or some other character.

I liked Bautista too, but at the end of the day Drax isn't the Iron Man or Captain America of the team. He's the Hawkeye. Other than Mantis, he's the least important member. He can be replaced with Cosmo or some other character.
He's just a comic relief character at this point, there to laugh at everything or make a joke. And since there are 2 other funny ones on the team (Quill, Rocket), the team won't be starving for jokes without him. The time when Drax was an actual character and not a walking punchline is long gone, like GOTG1 gone. It's not going to change any plot probably, so replace him with a new character or do it without him.

If it also means Dave stops with his hypocritical whining, all the better.

Well if Thanos is killed then Drax could say he’s at peace. Yes he’s abandoning his new family but it wouldn’t be too weird a reason.

I appreciate Dave’s honesty but he’s only fooling himself if he thinks Disney actually cares.

But at this point Dave is an issue & the entire cast stood by Gunn. Sure I'd love to see Disney force their hands & Dave is on set wether he likes it r not but the MCU is about to get plenty more Cosmic characters. They dont need the Guardians & have a unique opportunity to simply write them out. Until the deal is done Ant-Man is gonna get a Trilogy & Thor will get a new Trilogy & Black Panther will get two Trilogies & Doctor Strange will get a Trilogy. They dont need The Guardians long term & besides The Revengers are good replacements

Yeah. As much as fans may not like it , The MCU can move on without the Guardians. Is it ideal given the popularity and money? No , not really, but the idea that they somehow can't move forward and will be crippled without them is a stretch.

Even given the mixed qualities of F4 and X Men films past incarnations, its a hard argument to make that GA wouldn't want to see The X Men, Wolverine, Deadpool, even the F4, etc .interact with the Spiderman, Black Panther etc in the MCU. You add to that characters like Doctor Doom, Norman Osborn, Magneto, Galuctus, etc there's more than enough potential storylines for several phases going forward.

Things would be much more dire if this were 2009 or 2010, but its not. Its 2018, and with nearly all of the Marvel canon of characters under Disney , the MCU will get stronger ,not weaker. It'd be great to have the Guardians be part of that future, but if they aren't for whatever reason, the MCU will endure.

But at this point Dave is an issue & the entire cast stood by Gunn. Sure I'd love to see Disney force their hands & Dave is on set wether he likes it r not but the MCU is about to get plenty more Cosmic characters. They dont need the Guardians & have a unique opportunity to simply write them out. Until the deal is done Ant-Man is gonna get a Trilogy & Thor will get a new Trilogy & Black Panther will get two Trilogies & Doctor Strange will get a Trilogy. They dont need The Guardians long term & besides The Revengers are good replacements

Bautista's not important though. As long as the rest of the cast doesn't walk out (primarily Chris Pratt), they're fine. So while again, they would be okay not doing GOTG3, there is little reason right now not to do it.

Eh saying Guardians isn’t needed is pushing it. People really wanted to see how Earthbound heroes would react to characters like Rocket and Groot and I think that was a big selling point for IW.

In order to make Avengers movies truly an event I think they will need to keep up franchises like Guardians and tease when they will come to Earth.

During the A4 reshoots just keep his arse dusted!!! And release him from his contract. Simple as that.

Exactly my thoughts. Irrespective of the politics of the current situation, I think Drax's story should've ended in Infinity War anyway. Gunn had already stated or at least implied that there would be some changes to the Guardians roster in Vol. 3 and Drax doesn't really seem to have much else to go with in terms of a story arc even if he were to survive and see Thanos dead.

Last edited:
I'm guessing GotG3 would've been the setup for the rest of the MCU space side, and those implications following IFW. Vol2 did the setup somewhat with Stallone, and the members of the Original team but really 3 would've been the follow up to start that moving. Could've also been the introductory point for Eternals.

If they don't make Vol 3, then they may have to go back out to space to try another "cold" product launch. Not something they haven't done before with the Original 4 and GotG, but not as "safe" as what they did with Spider-Man and Black Panther either.

However they do have Captain Marvel now to help expand that side as well.

Last edited:
I mean, he did ultimately decline-

"I would never take anything away from another filmmaker. You can think whatever, moralize about what James wrote. I don't make those kind of jokes, I don't like those kind of jokes. But still, that's James' franchise."

Never mind the fact that, again, the Guardians franchise is much bigger than and will survive without James Gunn. Those movies may have breathed new life into the characters and put them onto the map with the general audience, but this franchise goes on regardless of Gunn's involvement behind the camera or on the pages.

Well stated. I honestly feel the best way they may clean this up is by merging GOTG with another cosmic character like Thor. I can easily imagine a Thor 4 with Bautista out and Thor and the Guardians working together. It could even lead to the Eternals or Fant4stic in some way

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"