Guild Wars

Sorry mistype I meant 15 not 25. Editing

I would not suggest Mesmer as a starter class, they can be very difficult to manage for a newbie but used correctly they can be one of the most powerful classes in the entire game.

That is so ironic, since my first character ever was a Mesmer, I admit it was the purty armor. ^_^ But I never really thought it was all that bad. Till I got to Yak's Bend and totally stalled out. Apparently people don't 3want to group with a Mesmer...o_O

That's when I started my Ele :)

I do currently have three Mesmers though >.< One PvP, One PvE Tyrian and One PvE Nightfall.

Not so much. To be honest you gave a pretty decent overview of the campaign basics. I'd probably get side tracked on talking about the 2 year gaps between campaigns and how some plot threads are picked up 'later on,' so you can meet certain NPC characters at several points in their lives etc.

But anyway, the focus is on Cantha, so a quick run down there might be in order. The start point is the island of Shing Jea, colloquially referred to as "n00b Island" and various other player-made titles (it's the starter area of Factions). Completing that will get a character to mainland Cantha, which can turn into a bit of a run around grind-fest through a huge maze of a city. Once out of that the story splits and you choose a side between Luxon or Kurzick (running around on a fossilized sea of jade or a petrified forest of stone trees respectively).

Bear in mind however that Factions is frequently regarded as the most flawed of the campaigns. Prophecies is a marathon of a story, and that proved too long for the taste of some (especially the PvP player base), then ArenaNet responded with Factions which went a long way in the other direction employing a meteoric level progression and a short campaign, artificially lengthened with a bit of back and forth travel. Nightfall is what I'd consider a stand alone Guild Wars campaign at it's most refined and the best Guild Wars experience on offer, although that's just my personal opinion. Eye of the North is an expansion for any of the campaigns, however it acts more of a continuation of the Prophecies campaign than the other two.

For starter purchases I'd recommend Nightfall on its own or the Guild Wars Platinum Edition which is a combined Prophecies and Eye of the North package.

I'd have to second that. Prophecies is by far my favorite and the way it connects with EoTN is fantastic! :up: While I love all the games Nightfall and Proph/EoTN are by far my favorite. I only ever return to Factions now if a Friend needs help in a mission or if there's an event :)

I'd be inclined to suggest Elementalist as a decent starting point. That's your basic sorcerer-type spell caster with most of their power themed after earth, air, fire and water. A basic play style consists of lurking in the back lines of your group and nuking the snot out of anything that moves. Advanced skill usage/selection lets Elementalists expand their options to front line tank duties and a whole lot more.

Thank you, the only other MMO I play is City of Heroes so I don't know how to classify the GW professions in other generalized fantasy terms >.<;

I do love my Ele :) I particularly love playing Water/Ice and Earth. Sadly though most people outside of PvP have this notion that unless you're playing Fire you're not good as an Ele in a group.

I do love my Ele :) I particularly love playing Water/Ice and Earth. Sadly though most people outside of PvP have this notion that unless you're playing Fire you're not good as an Ele in a group.
It really depends where you play. Once you hit the various elite areas you start seeing a lot of "GeoTank" builds going around. Personally I just stick with my water-themed Elementalist "Ice Blade of Realms" and have fun with the massive array of different tactics that Water Magic can bring to the game. :woot:

Gah! I :heart: Water builds...my guild knows that any excuse at all for me to use one I'll jump at. :)

I'm trying to build up my Kurzick guild... Is anyone interested?

I've been playing for a long time now... I've got a level 20 Ranger/N, level 20 Warrior/Ranger, a level 16 Mesmer/Elementalist, and a few other smaller characters.

My main PVP character is a Dwaynagon... She effin' rocks.

But yeah, if anyone's interested, we're trying to build it up. We wanna keep it small [about 20-30 members], and we want active, loyal members.

Anyone at all interested? We have a nice cape :p

Nice capes are a good start, but nothing beats a guild based on a unified ideology and long standing friendships. My guild was founded as a Guild Wars extension of a wider gaming community. Some of us have been together since our Diablo and Diablo II days and the in-game friendships are what keeps the guild strong.

Plus we love our cape. :woot:

I used to play DII as well... That game was effin' awesome.

WAYYYY better combat than GW has.

I was kidding about the nice capes, btw. Although the capes are rather nice, we also have a pretty solid core group. We're pretty strong with ABs, and we're all around a pretty friendly group.

We need a better alliance though. Ours isn't very friendly.

What has happend to Guild Wars lately? Its dying?!

Hmm..GW is alive and well in our Alliance. o_O And for posterity...My guild

I DO admit I hate the whole pig/trade/thing ANet pulled on us this weekend...it seemed so cheap. :o

*le sigh* I opened 320 fortunes and didn't get a single Rat mini, gg anet :down:

I never understood GW.

Just seems a pay as you go Diablo game to me.

Not making fun of it in any way possible.

I just don't see the point in pay as you go games.

gg anet :down:
GG Anet? I've seen this sort of comment quite a bit in the last few days and personally I find it quite a disappointing position. ArenaNet made an exclusive minipet and based it's acquisition on luck. Add in some work getting as many Lunar Fortunes as possible and the player can improve the odds of getting a Celestial Rat.

If you had better luck and actually got the rat would you stop to think "Thanks ArenaNet!"?

GG Anet? I've seen this sort of comment quite a bit in the last few days and personally I find it quite a disappointing position. ArenaNet made an exclusive minipet and based it's acquisition on luck. Add in some work getting as many Lunar Fortunes as possible and the player can improve the odds of getting a Celestial Rat.

If you had better luck and actually got the rat would you stop to think "Thanks ArenaNet!"?

Actually I do on the forums. The thing is the odds should have been based on the max amount of fortunes collected through the special quests to recieve the tokens which are then traded for the fortunes, one character can get 1 Celestial Rat. I used 6 of my characters worth of tokens which should have net me 6 rats, instead I got a big fat zero. 1 rat is all I ask for just to put aside in my collection but no, apparently that's not allowed.

Ah, so luck and chance were undesirable. You wanted certainty. The trouble there is a level of certainty was involved last year and the next thing that happened was a massive influx of gold pork. They were gold (supposedly rare) mini pets and they became fairly common quite rapidly.

And why should there be a guarantee of 6 Celestial Rats for 6 characters? That seems like an incredibly high amount. If you have the odds stacked like that then I can't see that there would be much thrill in the chase i.e. not much fun grinding for common junk. Everyone in the game would have one... You couldn't just fish it out and proudly say, "Hey guys! Look what I got!" because everyone else in the district would go, "Yeah, me too!" :dry:

PS. twylight. I read through your alliance pages on GWW. Some nice pages there. It makes me think I should lighten up the tone on my guild's page a bit. :woot:

The Pig was a little different, all you had to do was stand there during the event and it would magically apear in your inventory. I'm more then happy to work for a gift, but come on, I rolled through 6 of my characters and still didn't get one, do you honestly think that's right?

I ended up just buying one for a very cheap price of 25k :) *pleased*

My only issue was the Mini Pigs, because I'd grown accustom to giving them away for free to the newer players who didn't have any mini pets and who weren't at the event last year, or regular players who missed it. It was disheartening to see a major hoardfest with the lil piggies :(

PS. twylight. I read through your alliance pages on GWW. Some nice pages there. It makes me think I should lighten up the tone on my guild's page a bit.

No...we're just crazy..o_O You should see us actually in the game..it scares sane people away >.<;

The Pig was a little different, all you had to do was stand there during the event and it would magically apear in your inventory. I'm more then happy to work for a gift, but come on, I rolled through 6 of my characters and still didn't get one, do you honestly think that's right?
More so than standing in town doing nothing during an event and waiting for something to magically appear in your inventory. ;)

No...we're just crazy..o_O You should see us actually in the game..it scares sane people away >.<;
I know the feeling. About six months into Prophecies my guild's "nudist variant" team decided to beat Prophecies using no armour (besides AL 0 event masks) and using only starter weapons...

They were starting their test runs against Thirsty River this past weekend. :funny:

What has happend to GW its...*Gulp*...dying...:(

I know the feeling. About six months into Prophecies my guild's "nudist variant" team decided to beat Prophecies using no armour (besides AL 0 event masks) and using only starter weapons...

They were starting their test runs against Thirsty River this past weekend. :funny:

Holy cow! That's genius! The closest we've done to that is using only candy cane weapons in Tombs for our Wintersday Tombs events...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"