Guillermo del Toro Developing Pinocchio

Had the chance to see this on the big screen a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Might win the Oscar this year since the animated field is pretty weak this year.

It'd rightfully win it in a strong year for animation.

I hope we get a Blu-ray release. While it has flaws, this deserves every penny spent on it.

I just watched it. It was a beautiful film with great voice acting. It was an interesting twist on the story. Of course it goes without saying that it was better than the Disney live action Pinocchio.

Might win the Oscar this year since the animated field is pretty weak this year.
I was thinking the same thing but then I remembered Turning Red came out this year. That's the only one standing in its way.

Just my opinion, but this is on a different level from Turning Red.

Turning Red is another in a long line of pretty good Pixar movies and follows that formula.

This movie is something far more singular and memorable to me.

Of course, that doesn't mean much of anything as far as the Oscars are concerned so, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Disney product win it again.

I liked Turning Red, but this one hit differently.

I kind of liked this and Turning Red equally but for different reasons. I'd be happy with either winning an Oscar but I think it'll most likely go to Pixar.

I was really hesitant about checking this out at first, but this was just beautiful and touching on so many levels and GDT is definitely one of those director's that hardly ever misses.

Loved it and it will definitely end up being one of my favorites of the year.

The very first teaser of this movie gave me goosebumps. I don't know what it really was, the texture, the already present musical theme, the atmosphere, probably a little bit of it all... The movie was immediately under my radar.

Well, I finally watched it. Wow.

From a technical standpoint, at one point I wasn't sure anymore if the film was stop-motion, I started to wonder if I had just assumed it was... Because everything looks so smooth and sophisticated in the camera placement and movement. But no, it really is stop-motion. And it's absolutely masterful. That alone is an achievement, a real one.
Special mention also to Alexandre Desplat for the soundtrack. I found the main theme beautiful, the arrangements are delicate, charming and I, who am not necessarily crazy about songs in movies (except for a handful of quite specific ones), have nothing to complain about with the ones that punctuate the film. Super catchy. Fantastic job.

But what surprised and delighted me the most was how much Del Toro made this well-known story his own. Visually but also thematically. In the end, where the adventure should have been inevitably marked out, I had the sensation of discovering the story of the little wooden boy for the first time.
This is, for me, the mark of a true author. And at a time when there is more talk than ever about expanded universes and matching different licenses together, I'm even more comforted in my rejection of this soulless way of doing things.
What Del Toro has done with Pinocchio is everything I expect from an adaptation and it's a pure breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"