Guillermo del Toro Developing Pinocchio

That's quite the cast. Can't wait!

What's the point with this cast if we can't see them act? It's only voices :(

Even if you overlook career voice actors... did Tom Hanks ever not kill it in a Toy Story movie? Has Mark Hamill not established himself as one of the greatest Jokers? Did Jeremy Irons not own every scene of The Lion King that Scar was in?

What I meant is that stop-motion is not taking fully advantage of the actors. When we get a name worthy cast like this, it takes away a lot when they're reduced to voices only.
The impressive cast tends to be less impressive.

I'm not kicking voice actors in the stomachs, they do a fine job.
But these actors are usually live action actors.
And if I have to choose between them only doing remarkable voice acting
VS
them do remarkable physical acting onscreen and and the same time using their voices.
Then the choice is easy.
You see, it won't be a silent film just because it's live action. They still use their voices. We still hear them do voice acting, but they're also physically appearing in the film.

Last edited:
When it's stop-motion, it sort of simplifies the whole plot.
It's because stop-motion is time consuming to do, more than live action. They won't set up too many scenes, or shoot too much stuff, that ends up being cut from the film.
A live action film can take advantage by going deeper into the characters' thoughts and actions, and into the story as well.
The surroundings can be richer too.

Del Toro has done visual stunningly films: Pan's Labyrinth, The Shape of Water, two Hellboy, Crimson Peak (never mind the story, I'm talking visuals)
He also produced The Orphanage (an almost identical style to his).
They're gloomy but that would serve the story well. Pinocchio is a dark tale up until he changes.
It has the donkey boys and the sadistic circus. It would all have worked well as a Del Toro's live action world.
It has to be a scary for the kids to turn into donkeys. Seing this happen should also make us feel uncomfortable. That's what to expect from Del Toro.

Then Monstro, it's even beyond my thought process what Del Toro could have done with this creature.
Did you see the clip from Once Upon a Time? It's great but Del Toro could have done even better. He would have scared adults too with his version. It would be like a nightmarish whale/demon hybrid. A true highlight of the film.
A stop-motion Monstro, in comparison, won't have the same effect. There's a limit to what can be done with these puppets.
And it will always lack the feeling of a real world danger.
A roaring sea, rain and strong winds done with cgi atleast feels like it's actually happening.
Yes, it's all fiction but it shouldn't look like fiction. Live action makes it feel real, stop-motion doesn't.
We know they'll escape but it must still appear like they won't survive the storm and Monstro. We have to be terrified.

Del Toro's live action work is someting unique, and mostly liked (except for maybe Pacific Rim).
He could have done wonders with a live action Pinocchio. Just imagine how amazing the result would have turned out.
It's almost as the original story was written with him in mind. Because it would suit his live action style and themes. When HE adapts Pinocchio, why wouldn't we want an actual Del Toro live action film? I do.
I don't see how you can favor stop-motion over live action in this case.
The only explanation would be that you think Del Toro has lost all of his magic touch when it comes to live action. But it is (was) a thing of its own.
Bayona, who directed The Orphanage, gave us the dark coming-of-age fairy tale story A Monster Calls. He's clearly inspired by Del Toro on the latter.

But, let's say it works as stop-motion, against all odds.
Then what about the transformation of Pinocchio from puppet to a real human? Another highlight of the story.
After everything bad that he's been through, he finally gets his wish granted.
It will become less pointed out in stop-motion. The wooden puppet will just change into a clay puppet, that's all.
For this very detail, which is such an important part of the arch, The Pinocchio story might suffer from being done completely as stop motion.
When Pinocchio turns into a boy, the difference should be huge. Even if we know beforehand it's going to happen, we have to be amazed seeing it. Like something impossible is happening.
Gepetto can't believe his eyes, it's a true miracle. We need to feel like him, to be emotionally moved by the transformation.
Stop-motion would take away much of the effect.

There was an adaption back in 1996. This version might lack much when it comes to handling the story. But it got the transformation right. By the 90s standards, that is.
I would have wanted to see something that is just as miracoulus, but by 2020s standards. Which means something that should make us gasp for air because it was so unexpected for the characters (we should feel the same). Then get emotional and perhaps cry a little.
This is a part of what I wanted from a new Pinocchio. Sorry but that scene can't be done completely justice in stop-motion.
No matter how impressive the work of stop-motion can look on-screen. It lacks real humans and that's what Pinocchio is meant to become.

What I've said in this post could also be applied on a possible Tim Burton adaption IF done around the time of Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish, but certainly not by now.
Maybe, just maybe, Terry Gilliam could still make something great out of it.
PTA's take would be something completely else. His style is different to begin with. I have no clue how he would present the story his way.

Don't bring up the animated film, please. I know it's very cute but it's 80 years old and we need something heavier, more dramatic.

I've gone through several reasons for why live action would be better (in this case, by Del Toro). This is my complete explanation, I've nothing more to add.
If I didn't get you to think about it for a while and see my point somewhere, I've failed. :)

Last edited:
Having it taking place in WW2 Italy is definitely an interesting setup.

Having it taking place in WW2 Italy is definitely an interesting setup.
That would be something special.

But I'm not particular interested in stop motion Pinocchio.
I think I'll see the new Italian adaption instead. It might premiere later this year (where I live)

MV5BYWE3MDhlZDYtMWI1Yy00MDYxLWFjNjMtZjZlMjRiYjA0NWY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzIzNDU1NTY@._V1_.jpg

When I realized it was stop motion I wanted to dislike it, but damnit, its just so charming and Ewan is perfect.

For me, stop-motion is definitely one of the selling parts of the film.

I used to have that one on VHS back in the day. Haven't revisited it in about fifteen years or so.

looks pretty good
Though looking more forward to the Disney version.

Could you imagine how bad ass it would be if he’s all like “when I tell a lie my nose grows. I hate freedom” and then his nose sticks out and stabs a fascist right though the skull?

Cue fight scene…

Sounds like an Italian version of Pan’s Labyrinth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"