Guillermo del Toro to Direct Tarzan

I have no idea why Del Toro is considered so highly around here. The man is a terrible, terrible director. ALL his movies suck.

jaydawg said:
I have no idea why Del Toro is considered so highly around here. The man is a terrible, terrible director. ALL his movies suck.

Yeah... I just lost what shred of respect I had for you.

jaydawg said:
maybe it's because his latest movies have been amazing as far as visual style is concerned...or maybe because he makes entertaining fantasy movies.

i know people are allowed their own opinions...so my opinion is that if you think Del Toro is a terrible, terrible director then there's seriously something wrong with you. Paul W.S. Anderson is a terrible director, Kurt Wimmer is (now) a terrible director, UWE BOLL is a TERRIBLE, terrible director...

...at the very LEAST, Del Toro is a mediocre director.

jaydawg said:

Agreed

DorkyFresh said:
maybe it's because his latest movies have been amazing as far as visual style is concerned...or maybe because he makes entertaining fantasy movies.

i know people are allowed their own opinions...so my opinion is that if you think Del Toro is a terrible, terrible director then there's seriously something wrong with you. Paul W.S. Anderson is a terrible director, Kurt Wimmer is (now) a terrible director, UWE BOLL is a TERRIBLE, terrible director...

...at the very LEAST, Del Toro is a mediocre director.

Soldier and Mortal Kombat are both better than ANYTHING del Toro has done, times two even. Now given that fact, Paul Anderson is a very mediocre director.

I hope Casper Van Dien is in this. He did play Tarzan in Tarzan and the lost city.

LongDong said:
Soldier and Mortal Kombat are both better than ANYTHING del Toro has done, times two even.

................BWAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAHAHAA *cough cough* HAHAHAAOMGROFLMAO!!!! wow...thanks for the laugh, i kinda needed that. i like Mortal Kombat as much as the next guy but saying Soldier is better than anything Del Toro's done is just....well....

...let's just say your opinion is probably one of a kind.

Now given that fact, Paul Anderson is a very mediocre director.
great......another person trying to pass their opinion off as fact. :whatever:

LongDong said:
The first 6 books are AMAZING reads. The second batch of 6 are pretty good as well but you start seeing how limited Burroughs was with his writing. Some very formulaic themes start showing (amnesia being the worst of all).

I am reading book 24 right now, I have read every other one Burroughs had written about Tarzan and I have enjoyed them a great deal.

Were the character done right (adapted from the books as Burroughs originally imagined) the movie would be one of the best action movies ever and also have a very R rating attached to it. Brutal and calculating, Tarzan in action is without equal.
I've read everything by Burroughs....it can get repetative.....but they are fun reads.

And as you say....to do Tarzan properly...it needs to be R rated...for he is a killing machine in the books.

C. Lee said:
I've read everything by Burroughs....it can get repetative.....but they are fun reads.

And as you say....to do Tarzan properly...it needs to be R rated...for he is a killing machine in the books.

I have confidence that GdT will treat the story with respect and try to integrate as much as he can from the books. (However, there's no way he'll do a straight adaptation.)

I'm also willing to bet that the movie won't get an R rating. That and that GdT won't do it. At least any time soon. He's got Hellboy 2 coming up, trying to make At the Mountains of Madness happen, and the third part in his Spanish film trilogy. He's producing Deadman, and working on a pilot for a Fox show.

The man is simply too busy to handle this project any time in the near future.

R-rated Tarzan ain't happening. Not after the Disney version came out, they can't go any higher than PG-13, because it WILL be viewed as an action adventure for the family, and they will merchandise it. He can probably go the Hellboy route.

zer00 said:
hey hey...I miss my Attica post:(

And I miss my [/censored] sandwich cover in (Blankety blank) post. :csad:

I didn't even get to see your Attica post.

Soldier is a pretty good film. I don't know why people diss Russel's acting in it. He was playing a person taught to act like a machine. He did that well.

I need to buy this dvd one day.

Toro already said that it will be darker film, but it will still be for the family. Meaning he already has planned it to be PG-13. Not R...

"I'd love to create a new version that is still a family movie, but as edgy as I can make it," Del Toro said. "There are strong themes of survival of a defenseless child left behind in the most hostile environment."

Flexo said:
And I miss my [/censored] sandwich cover in (Blankety blank) post. :csad:

I didn't even get to see your Attica post.
Oh, it was awesome.

Like watching Ron Perlman take nude photographs of an angel.

CConn said:
Oh, it was awesome.

Like watching Ron Perlman take nude photographs of an angel.

Why must you torture me so?

jaydawg said:

He's brought more depth and flavor than other popular directors.

DorkyFresh said:
................BWAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAHAHAA *cough cough* HAHAHAAOMGROFLMAO!!!! wow...thanks for the laugh, i kinda needed that. i like Mortal Kombat as much as the next guy but saying Soldier is better than anything Del Toro's done is just....well....

...let's just say your opinion is probably one of a kind.

great......another person trying to pass their opinion off as fact. :whatever:

You are delusional if you think that. Trust me dude, there are many del Toro dislikers out there.

LongDong said:
Soldier and Mortal Kombat are both better than ANYTHING del Toro has done, times two even. Now given that fact, Paul Anderson is a very mediocre director.

Hardly a fact, and Mortal Kombat was indeed better than anything Del Toro has done...better at destroying great source material and turning a dark, gritty, visceral world into a kids film.

LongDong said:
You are delusional if you think that.
heh...most comic fans liked Blade 2, most critics liked Hellboy, and almost EVERYONE who's seen Pan's Labyrinth has praised it and WE'RE the delusional ones for not thinking Soldier was better than anything Del Toro directed?

seems to me someone needs to take a look in the mirror.

Trust me dude, there are many del Toro dislikers out there.
yeah...you and about 20 other people in the entire world.

Boghen_Moghen said:
I wanna see Tarzan fight dinosaurs!

Agreed. I want this thing to have a ton of dinosaurs in it. Like King Kong, but, you know, don't have it suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"