Justice League Harry Lennix IS Martian Manhunter

I feel like this thread's title should be renamed to "Harry Lennix IS Martian Manhunter" since we know J'onn is definitely in the movie now (to what extent is another matter).

A leaked image of MM has appeared and he looks amazing. I won't be posting the link.

I just want to know why he never got involved with protecting earth in either man of steel or batman v superman. It feels like a last minute tacked on thing rather than something planned from the get go. I hope its explained in a believable way.

I just want to know why he never got involved with protecting earth in either man of steel or batman v superman. It feels like a last minute tacked on thing rather than something planned from the get go. I hope its explained in a believable way.

Could be trauma from past experiences made him want to avoid getting in the middle of world ending cataclysms.

I'm curious how J'onn got the position of General Swanwick ? Did he replace the actual person or was this the identity he created to protect earth?

My head canon is that the OG Swanwick was the first person to show J'onn kindness and safety when he got to Earth. After he passed, J'onn took on his likeness as a way to honor him.

My head canon is that the OG Swanwick was the first person to show J'onn kindness and safety when he got to Earth. After he passed, J'onn took on his likeness as a way to honor him.

So he showed kindness to man hunter but questioned Superman for two movies?. Why be apprehensive of a guy who gave himself up immediately to humanity but be ok with a Martian? Unless you're implying the swanwick from man of steel was already manhunter but then that begs the question, why would he not get involved? And also why would he be apprehensive of another alien if he himself is an alien who just wants to fit in?. He should have had more compassion and understanding for Clark's position.

So he showed kindness to man hunter but questioned Superman for two movies?. Why be apprehensive of a guy who gave himself up immediately to humanity but be ok with a Martian? Unless you're implying the swanwick from man of steel was already manhunter but then that begs the question, why would he not get involved? And also why would he be apprehensive of another alien if he himself is an alien who just wants to fit in?. He should have had more compassion and understanding for Clark's position.

Swanwick in MoS was already Manhunter to me unless we find out otherwise. As far as not getting involved, well he did. Just as a human rather than as MM. And his apprehensiveness toward Supes? In my mind, it's simply due to assimilation. He's spent so much time successfully fitting in that he lost sight of what it's like to stand firmly in your own truth.

That last bit is something I've seen in my own life. My parents grew more conservative as they got older and started disapproving of a lot of the things I was doing/saying as a young black man in the US, despite doing similar stuff when they were younger. Then as we found ourselves in the middle of a global movement for racial justice, they sorta took a step back and reevaluated their stances.

As far as this movie goes, I got no clue how it'll be explained though. These are just things I tell myself while I wait to watch this flick haha.

He was putting on a show of being conservative. He's acting as a US General... He's not ALLOWED to just accept an alien...
Imagine the top brass wondering why swannick, as a general, would just automatically accept superman...

And yes, it's a retcon haha but I'm fine with it.

Would be nice if he somehow got an opportunity to appear again (especially as MM is one of my favourite characters).

If that’s the case why was he apprehensive with Kal-El in Man of Steel?

If that’s the case why was he apprehensive with Kal-El in Man of Steel?

Swanwick in MoS was already Manhunter to me unless we find out otherwise. As far as not getting involved, well he did. Just as a human rather than as MM. And his apprehensiveness toward Supes? In my mind, it's simply due to assimilation. He's spent so much time successfully fitting in that he lost sight of what it's like to stand firmly in your own truth.

That last bit is something I've seen in my own life. My parents grew more conservative as they got older and started disapproving of a lot of the things I was doing/saying as a young black man in the US, despite doing similar stuff when they were younger. Then as we found ourselves in the middle of a global movement for racial justice, they sorta took a step back and reevaluated their stances.

As far as this movie goes, I got no clue how it'll be explained though. These are just things I tell myself while I wait to watch this flick haha.

Also, maybe he knows Kryptonians? And worries they (he) might not have Earth's best interests at heart. After meeting him, he comes round that Kal El isn't your run of the mill programmed Kryptonian..

I mean the Kryptonians were a race of colonizers as established in MoS.

Because Bruce became Batman for suffering the great loss and fear after his parents died. This created an isolated person that only trusts in Alfred but sometimes don't agrees with him. Remember this dialogues from BvS:

When Bruce tried to resolve his failure and revived Clark, an alien who grew up as a human, now assembling a demigod, a half Atlantean, a cybernetic being and a temporal anomaly, impossible beings to save the world, he had to accept help from whoever is willing to do so. Especially since the knightmare continued even after the momentary success of the newly formed Justice League.

I liked Harry Lennix in the role, but... good god you could cut him out of the movie and not miss a thing. It's sad considering how excited he was (and still is) to play the character.

At first I was a bit upset that MM would impersonate Clark's mom and go "Grieve" with his Lois, I felt that was very mean spirited. But then thank goodness Zack added that line of dialogue where he says "The world needs you too, Lois" and I understood why MM did it.

Well now that the movie's been released...

Cool idea, but felt a bit shoehorned it

Felt very shoehorned.

I also don't know that I liked them cheating Martha Kent from that scene with Lois just for this cameo. When we see Martha later at the farm, I was pretty much waiting for her to be confused if Lois brought up their chat in Metropolis but that never happened. Which leads me to suspect the original intention was that it was supposed to be Martha talking to Lois. I don't know.

Felt very shoehorned.

I also don't know that I liked them cheating Martha Kent from that scene with Lois just for this cameo. When we see Martha later at the farm, I was pretty much waiting for her to be confused if Lois brought up their chat in Metropolis but that never happened. Which leads me to suspect the original intention was that it was supposed to be Martha talking to Lois. I don't know.

I think youre right. I think MM was something Zack shoehorned in after the fact.

“Oh and some have called me…fanservice.”

Felt shoe horned but **** it, ZS is going out #YOLO style and I love him for it.

At first I was a bit upset that MM would impersonate Clark's mom and go "Grieve" with his Lois, I felt that was very mean spirited. But then thank goodness Zack added that line of dialogue where he says "The world needs you too, Lois" and I understood why MM did it.

I wasn't a fan. He made Lois' "importance" be "you being alive is the only reason Superman stays in check". Nothing that she does as a person, just what she means to a man.

I didn't love how he looked. I'd like a slight redesign if they go forward with him. I'm a huge fan of the character, he's my favorite DC character. But I'm happy to see him still. And I love the actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"