Heath Ledger or Cristoph Waltz?

Yeah, I know. Ledger's joker was humorous and intimidating at times too. What I'm saying is that Joker's was humorous for the sake of being intimidating (and sarcastic) while when Landa was being humorous it was to be funny, if any that makes sense (it probably doesn't).

In short, Joker's humor was part of his intimidation while Landa's didn't (most of the time). It's hard to stay intimidating when you have scene's like this:

[YT]7duP4d9ZziY[/YT]

There are probably better examples, but I love that scene. I chose Waltz but not by much. If you said better character though, I would probably go with :hoboj:

He's not. Landa isn't trademark franchise character who 70+ year history not only changed comics and film, but all of pop culture. And Joker's going to continue being on screen whether in the next Nolan film or maybe even longer.

I don't know, since IB I can't stop saying "That's a Bingo" haha

I love the "that's a bingo" scene. Hell, I love all of his scenes. Love the movie too. QT is such a great writer. I love a movie that has a strong enough script to hold up to repeat viewings and even IMPROVE despite my ability to nitpick. :oldrazz:

Waltz, although I felt both performances were worthy of their accolades. Ledger's Joker and Waltz's Landa are among my favorite film performances of all time.

Ledger.

Both of them were superb though. In their own ways. But the character of the Joker, and to capture it is quite a feat.

Waltz, he was actually deserving of his award. While Ledger was very good, Downey and Hoffman were more deserving. As was Michael Sheen for Frost/Nixon although he was snubbed. Ledger won on the merit of dying. Waltz won on the merit of his acting.
While I too thought there were more deserving nominees, I think Ledger would have won anyway. The hype behind his performance, even before he died, was way bigger than any other supporting actor that year.

Waltz was awesome, but I doubt he will attain the iconic status of Heath Ledger's Joker. All this babble about Heath Ledger's Oscar because of his death is pure nonsense - the cast, crew and anyone who had a glimpse of The Joker had already been raving about his performance since as far back as a year before TDK's release. Not to mention Landa was still recognizable as Christopher Waltz, whereas anyone would be hard-pressed to find the gay cowboy from Brokeback Mountain or the prissy adolescent from The Patriot in Ledger's Joker. It was almost as if they were played by completely different actors.
I agree, but I think a big part of that will stem from how popular each movie is. The Dark Knight was one of the highest grossing movies of all time, and was loved by mass audiences. Inglourious Basterds was financially successful, but did not get enough love from the general populace to be that iconic.

Waltz, he was actually deserving of his award. While Ledger was very good, Downey and Hoffman were more deserving. As was Michael Sheen for Frost/Nixon although he was snubbed. Ledger won on the merit of dying. Waltz won on the merit of his acting.
Aaaaannndd the bait is set! :awesome:

EDIT: LMAO, I was late to the party. You guys are so predictable. :o

I see that it’s a close battle here. The Basterds was a brilliant film, and one of my favorite of the last year, and the performance by Cristoph Waltz was just outstanding. But…I have to go with Ledger. What Heath did, as someone said was ‘’COMPLEATE transformation’’ This actor was absorbed by he’s character, an actor ho got so into the role, the cause he’s death.

And all that, he won only because he was dead, is just pathetic. Road to Perdition’s Cinematographer Conrad Hall won posthumously an Oscar for he’s work in the movie. Why? Because he died? No, because the cinematography in that movie was out of the world amazing. Same is with Ledger. Even before he’s death, people actually said (and it’s about a comic book character!!!) that he make an Oscar Performance (and that was before the firs trailer!). So Ledger won the award (and BAFTA, and Globe, And SAG, and all the critics there was) because what he did was out of the world amazing.

I thought Waltz was good, but the character will all but be forgotten in 2 more years. Heaths Joker however, will be remembered for a long damn time.

Both we're awesome, but Waltz takes the cake for me. Both played really awesome villains for sure, but Waltz was a more believable character in the long run.

I thought Waltz was good, but the character will all but be forgotten in 2 more years. Heaths Joker however, will be remembered for a long damn time.
But again, will Waltz be forgotten because of his performance, or because TDK had tremendous, widespread popularity and Basterds didn't?

Waltz had a great performance, but Ledger became the Joker. I couldn't see Ledger all I saw was Joker.

Waltz. A great acting is not measured as to how different the character is from the actor only. Some people can put a lot pof make-up so they look different and fake a voice so they sound different and it's not that a difficult thing to do. Ledger was great, but not merely because he was so different but because you could feel the character and what was he thinking through the actor.

But whereas Ledger had the make-up, the huge popularity from the character and the theatricality, Waltz worked only on subtleties.

Exactly, Waltz built up a completely original character from scratch. Not to mention he showed ass, which is something that pisses me off about a lot of bad guys, Ledger's Joker included.

not voting on this...its stupid to compare them.

Heath Ledger.

I'm split on this. Are we voting on the actor or the character that they played.

As an actor, I would give it to Waltz because his performance as Landa has made me love the guy's skills as an actor. With Ledger on the other hand, I hated almost all of his movies he played before the Dark Knight and the roles he played in them. It took the trailers for me to change my mind.

But as a character, I would give it to the Joker because while Landa was awesome, the Joker was far more terrifying and gave the protagonists a more menacing test. That and Ledger gave us what IMO is the definitive version of the Joker in all mediums.

Exactly, Waltz built up a completely original character from scratch.

I think you are underrating Tarantino's writing here. He spent around a decade writing that script/character. I think a lot of people underrate the writing for the Joker character in TDK as well.

I'm split on this. Are we voting on the actor or the character that they played.

As an actor, I would give it to Waltz because his performance as Landa has made me love the guy's skills as an actor. With Ledger on the other hand, I hated almost all of his movies he played before the Dark Knight and the roles he played in them. It took the trailers for me to change my mind.

But as a character, I would give it to the Joker because while Landa was awesome, the Joker was far more terrifying and gave the protagonists a more menacing test. That and Ledger gave us what IMO is the definitive version of the Joker in all mediums.

Pretty much this. :up:

I think you are underrating Tarantino's writing here. He spent around a decade writing that script/character. I think a lot of people underrate the writing for the Joker character in TDK as well.

I agree on both accounts. However, I have read TDK's script, and to anyone that's read it, I think it's quite clear that Heath really did turn the writing into something special. He expanded and took it into a direction that I certainly couldn't visualize when reading it. That said, I never read IB's script, so I can't really make a fair comparison, as I do not know what nuances and such that Waltz added to the character. Either way, as you said, I do feel that the writing is somewhat under-appreciated for both characters.

Heath. But they're both great for different reasons.

And after seeing Waltz at the Oscars, I'm convinced he's as crazy as his character.

I agree on both accounts. However, I have read TDK's script, and to anyone that's read it, I think it's quite clear that Heath really did turn the writing into something special. He expanded and took it into a direction that I certainly couldn't visualize when reading it. That said, I never read IB's script, so I can't really make a fair comparison, as I do not know what nuances and such that Waltz added to the character. Either way, as you said, I do feel that the writing is somewhat under-appreciated for both characters.

Of course he gave a stellar performance and improved on what was written, but what was written was already great. Seriously, Ledger's Joker has some of the best dialogue ever in a summer blockbuster. Very memorable stuff.

Seriously, Ledger's Joker has some of the best dialogue ever in a summer blockbuster. Very memorable stuff.

Can't disagree with that. :up:

Sort of off-topic, but how much of a blow to some of the condescending fans would it be if it were revealed that it was actually Goyer who was responsible for the Joker's dialog? :woot: ;)

Can't disagree with that. :up:

Sort of off-topic, but how much of a blow to some of the condescending fans would it be if it were revealed that it was actually Goyer who was responsible for the Joker's dialog? :woot: ;)

I think they made a deal with the devil to come up with the Joker's dialogue since it's miles better than the rest of the dialogue in either BB or TDK. :cwink:

Both gave amazing performances, i had to think hard about this one. In the end i voted for Heath, just because the Joker is a performance i can watch over and over despite me not really liking TDK as much. Waltz was great, but i think Heath took it a step further to make the character more memorable for me.

Maybe time might tell a different tale, but for now, i've chosen :oldrazz:

Waltz.
He took a character that by all rights should be the most hated (A nazi hunter of jews) and turned it into a very likable character. The first scene is so full of tension IMO it blows away everything in TDK. I also credit Tarantino with writing the part. I have never understood how Nazi Germany could do what it did but the analogy with the rodent blew my mind away. Waltz performance made me want to see him in more roles( He was my pick for Red Skull) and I am sure I will see a few films just because he is going to be in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"