Henry Cavil Will Not Return As Superman - Will You Miss Him In The Role?

I was born in 1992 so I'm part of that weird generation where we never really had 'our' definitive version of Superman, at least not on the big screen.

It feels so bizarre just typing that. Supes is the grandaddy of superheroes. How can we have definitive versions of Captain America, Thor, and Ant-Man, but not a big screen equivalent for Kal-El??

And to anser the question, no I won't miss Cavill in the role. As many have already expressed, he never resonated with me as Superman. He has an innate otherworldliness to him that's aesthetically right for the part, at least superficially, but he doesn't project the warmth, kindness, decency, and nobility that are integral to the character.

Here's hoping they finally get the casting right this time. It's only been, what, 40 years since the last universally loved big screen Superman??

As much as I feel sorry for him for how much of a raw deal he got with how the studio and Zack Snyder wrote and treated his character, honestly, no, not really.

I honestly never connected with his version on any level. He felt more like a cipher for Snyder’s Randian philosophical musings than an actual character with any personal motivations or personality. He was such a reactive human nothing of an action figure with the charm and acting prowess of a male model. After the three films that he was in, I’d be hard-pressed to say off the top of my head who he actually was, any of his traits or why he did what he did. Cyborg, ****ing Cyborg, got more character development in just a few scenes in Justice League than Henry Cavill’s take on “The Big Blue Boy Scout” did in his entire tenure. That’s just…sad.

He’s got his hands full with his passion project of working on Warhammer 40K, which He he has for creative control over and should keep him occupied for years and years to come. He’ll be fine.

In 1978 Superman The Movie was quite a huge movie event, with lots of PR, magazines articles and stuff (at least compared to all the internet stuff today). As a 12 year old I felt kinda luxourious to have another big movie event happening, since I'd went to see Star Wars just the year before. And that was of course even more crazy, if we yet again consider this was in the 70s, and how advertising and PR worked back then. Star Wars was just an incomparable fun ride for an 11 yo in 1977. Best. Movie. Experience. Ever.

Anyhows, finally I could watch Superman on the big screen instead of all these Curt Swan/Dick Giordano/Neil Adams comic book panels I've been reading through the 70s. Funny thing is my dad insisted to come with me to see this film.

At first I was: "Why, I'm no kid anymore, and you never felt the need to "guard me" in previous films?" In the next second I totally understood him. Of course he wanted to watch a modern high budget Superman movie (with Marlon Brando no less) in his age, having only the Max Fleischer cartoons/George Reeves versions as cinematic reference in late 40s/early 50s. But going alone back then to watch a comic book movie as a grown up? It was different times (at least in my country)..

Needless to say, we had a great time watching S:TM toghether. I especially remember my dad reacting to the classic helicopter scene, and how impressed he was by that. S:TM is far from perfect, and we can always discuss how that good or bad this flick has aged 40+ years later. But Chris Reeve made up for any of those possible flaws with his charisma. We totally bought him then, and still does as Superman. I personally can even somehow enjoy those last clearly horrible Superman films, just because of him.

Superman Returns just kinda came and went. I do remember though being curious about MOS and talked with my dad about watching it, and he was kinda curious as well. Well afterwards since it turned out I happended to watched it alone, I'm so ****ing glad I didn't bring my old dad with me, he would've been totally confused about this bleak and depressing version of Superman.

I'm today not even sure if it was Cavill (he sure looked the role) or Snyder who disappointed me the most, but this was a very far cry from what I consider Superman.

I couldn't help but feeling a bit sorry for Cavill with the whole ridiculous and stupid Dwayne Johnson/Black Adam debacle. But whenever watching seriously uplifting Superman content like the TV show Superman and Lois, I'm rest assure I wont ever miss him.

tl;dr: Nope, he had the looks but still not my Superman. Recasting is fine by me.

Last edited:
Cavill was criminally underused in his tenure as Superman. If Matt Reeves had directed MOS, he’d still be playing the character now.

No, he seems like a cool guy off screen but I think he's a terrible actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"