Henry Cavil Will Not Return As Superman - Will You Miss Him In The Role?

Post-TDK, when an SR sequel was still sort of on the cards, one of the WB execs said they were going "as dark as the character would allow" and that they envisioned him as an "angry god".

So yeah. Plenty of blame to be shared around the WB lot.

My point of view is that you can make a dark Superman story work. You absolutely can. Go nuts.

But Superman himself must be Superman. His priority should be doing the right thing and believing in hope and optimism in the face of that darkness. Challenge Superman and put him through the Trials Of Hercules by all means, but he must believe in Truth And Justice. "There is a right and a wrong, and that distinction is not hard to make."

I think the mistake with most directors we've had so far is they want to put "THEIR" spin on superman, instead of looking over his entire history and what's made him so successful to start with.

We don't need a new wheel when this one rolls just fine.
They would know that if they would give it a roll.

The "aww shucks" and "Golly Lois" Clark is what we want.
Not dark, no gritty, and not mopey.

I really hope they just make Clark speak normally, not like he’s from the 40’s.

He’s not Captain America

I’m conflicted because I feel we never truly got to see him be Superman truly. He was cut way too short before he got a chance to make it his own. Imo Christopher Reeve is still the quintessential Superman and he established that from the first film. Unfortunately Henry Cavill didn’t.

I think the mistake with most directors we've had so far is they want to put "THEIR" spin on superman, instead of looking over his entire history and what's made him so successful to start with.

upload_2022-12-28_0-7-14.gif

Perfectly stated. I agree 100%.

I think this is what Superman and Lois gets right so well. We get scenes like this:
upload_2022-12-28_0-9-56.jpeg

Which was pulled directly and expertly from For All Seasons:
upload_2022-12-28_0-11-25.png

and let us not forget this homage:
upload_2022-12-28_0-13-31.jpeg

The point is that we need a director who is not ashamed of Superman’s virtue, but who seeks to showcase and celebrate it.

View attachment 60946

I think this is what Superman and Lois gets right so well. We get scenes like this:
View attachment 60947

View attachment 60948

View attachment 60949

The point is that we need a director who is not ashamed of Superman’s virtue, but who seeks to showcase and celebrate it.
Agreed! But let's never forget where that line really came from:

I’m conflicted because I feel we never truly got to see him be Superman truly. He was cut way too short before he got a chance to make it his own. Imo Christopher Reeve is still the quintessential Superman and he established that from the first film. Unfortunately Henry Cavill didn’t.

He had 2 or 3 movies. How many chances is he allowed to get?

He was a great Superman. I won't let piss poor writing and directing cloud my judgment. He was done dirty. I blame the Rock for everything. Because I choose to.

View attachment 60946

View attachment 60947

View attachment 60948

View attachment 60949

The Superman I want is proud of his powers, and generally wants to help people. From getting a cat out of a tree for a little girl, to stopping a supervillain on the streets of metropolis. No job is too small or big.

The Clark I want is kinda a tale of two clarks.
We get the Clark on the farm, the REAL Clark.
no glasses, Work clothes, loves doing stuff on the farm to wind down.

And the metropolis/dp Clark which is mostly fake.
He's Quiet, kinda shy, kind of a mommas boy, says things. Like darn, gosh, etc.
The lack of cursing by him would drive Lois bananas.

He didn't get a proper sequel that allowed him to fully establish himself. Like I said Christopher got it done in the first film and even though the other films dropped in Quality , Chris stayed true and has been the icon for decades.

He didn't get a proper sequel that allowed him to fully establish himself. Like I said Christopher got it done in the first film and even though the other films dropped in Quality , Chris stayed true and has been the icon for decades.

Wow, I'd never seen that Clip of him before.
It's a nice treat.
Thanks for posting it.

He had 1 solo. Had a depressing Vs film that did nothing for the character where he died, had a team up film where he was just brought back to life. All done by the same guy. All 3 films were very grim.

He had 1 solo. Had a depressing Vs film that did nothing for the character where he died, had a team up film where he was just brought back to life. All done by the same guy. All 3 films were very grim.
He also got a theatrically released version of one of those done by someone else where he got to be “cheery Superman” and still sucked. He’s had more than enough chances to make a decent impression on the GA. They’re long past the point of caring about his Supes by now regardless.

He also got a theatrically released version of one of those done by someone else where he got to be “cheery Superman” and still sucked. He’s had more than enough chances to make a decent impression on the GA. They’re long past the point of caring about his Supes by now regardless.

Did he suck for the 5 mins where he got to be "cheery superman"? His mustache got more attention than anything. He has had plenty of appearances as Superman, yes. But chances to be a decent impression? Nah.

Did he suck for the 5 mins where he got to be "cheery superman"? His mustache got more attention than anything. He has had plenty of appearances as Superman, yes. But chances to be a decent impression? Nah.
Plenty of Supermen have had to work with less-than-desirable material. They made the most of it. Cavill has never made the most of ANY material he has EVER been given, Superman or no, and that’s his real problem. He brings nothing to the table that a million other action-figure-looking guys couldn’t bring, and never has, in his entire career.

Plenty of Supermen have had to work with less-than-desirable material. They made the most of it. Cavill has never made the most of ANY material he has EVER been given, Superman or no, and that’s his real problem. He brings nothing to the table that a million other action-figure-looking guys couldn’t bring, and never has, in his entire career.

Well ironically I’d say Cavill sold the evil Superman stuff more than a lot of actors might.

Dude is kinda terrifying when he plays robotic and emotionally depraved lol. Could be a good Brainiac tbh

But yeah, as regular ol Clark, Cavill was quite flat. I think a lot of Brits have a hard time retaining natural nuances in their voice when they do American. Cavill being one of them for sure.

Goddamn love that guy.

What he says at the end there about Clark being his own shyness and awkwardness that he has or had multiplied by ten? That's exactly how Clark plays Metropolis Clark. It's his own shyness and awkwardness that he naturally had in a major way growing up-- and still has to whatever degree that we all have as an adult-- being used as a sense memory and exaggerated. Metropolis Clark IS an act... AND he's real.

Just one part of what makes the character so compelling.

He also said a key word that's very important for all the best iterations of the role-- RELAX. Cavill, and to a lesser extent Routh and Welling, were trying so hard to project calm nobility that it came of as forced... Reeve was relaxed and had fun with it, and became an icon.
Grant Morrison cracked the same code (aka "He's the most powerful guy ever and he's got a heart of gold, why would he be puffing his chest and clenching his jaw all the time?") and is one the the best to ever touch the character.

Last edited:
Cavill, and to a lesser extent Routh and Welling, were trying so hard to project calm nobility that it came of as forced... Reeve was relaxed and had fun with it, and became an icon.

I think it's hard for a lot of the Superman actors to just play...a guy. They all try to play "Superman", almost like they have the comic book images in their head as they're delivering the lines.

If actors continue to do that, audiences will continue to feel like Supes is unrelatable. The general narrative seems to be that it's his power level to blame for that, but I disagree.

He also said a key word that's very important for all the best iterations of the role-- RELAX. Cavill, and to a lesser extent Routh and Welling, were trying so hard to project calm nobility that it came of as forced... Reeve was relaxed and had fun with it, and became an icon.
Grant Morrison cracked the same code (aka "He's the most powerful guy ever and he's got a heart of gold, why would he be puffing his chest and clenching his jaw all the time?") and is one the the best to ever touch the character.
bette-davis-all-about-eve-amen.gif

Cain was the worst offender in that regard when it came to his Superman. The only 3 who have seemed genuinely relaxed while wearing the suit have been George Reeves, Chris Reeve, and Tyler Hoechlin, and they also happen to be the 3 best live-action portrayals to date, imo. Not a coincidence.

Oh he brought something, but it has nothing to do with acting:
tenor.gif

I think it's hard for a lot of the Superman actors to just play...a guy. They all try to play "Superman", almost like they have the comic book images in their head as they're delivering the lines.

If actors continue to do that, audiences will continue to feel like Supes is unrelatable. The general narrative seems to be that it's his power level to blame for that, but I disagree.

Personally, I blame that damn Kill Bill monologue. Hell, even just the basic narrative that a layman can hear about what the difference between Marvel and DC is. Frankly, there is only so much an actor can do when given the material they are given. And lets be fair to the vast majority of actors that have been chosen to play Superman, they are not exactly top tier acting talent.

This. Ultimately the problem with adapting Superman isn't that nobody can figure out the difficult and obtuse answer, its that the 'answer' is really obvious but not what the people making the movie want it to be. You would think a decade of Chris Evans playing Steve Rogers would have made everyone realize their mistake, but. . .

My point of view is that you can make a dark Superman story work. You absolutely can. Go nuts.

But Superman himself must be Superman. His priority should be doing the right thing and believing in hope and optimism in the face of that darkness. Challenge Superman and put him through the Trials Of Hercules by all means, but he must believe in Truth And Justice. "There is a right and a wrong, and that distinction is not hard to make."

Sure. The key is that the story may be dark, but Superman himself is not. He is the light in the darkness, trying to get everyone out, and even if he's occasional uncertain about what the right choice is, he never wavers on his resolve to *make* the right choice.

I'm disappointed. Henry was a terrific superman. I understand that the character is more important than the actor, but Henry was born to play the role, and he liked playing the iconic part. It wasn't just a paycheck for him. I'm optimistic about the future. I like James Gunn, and I'm sure he will give us a great movie and all that, but it hurts, I love the trilogy, and my theater went insane when he showed up in black adam. I even liked what joss did, even though he disliked Snyder. He wrote on Twitter that they should keep henry in the role years ago.

Perhaps they should just play the "real" Clark on the farm, and not superman, because that's who superman really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"