Henry Cavil Will Not Return As Superman - Will You Miss Him In The Role?

Plenty of Supermen have had to work with less-than-desirable material. They made the most of it. Cavill has never made the most of ANY material he has EVER been given, Superman or no, and that’s his real problem. He brings nothing to the table that a million other action-figure-looking guys couldn’t bring, and never has, in his entire career.
I agree. He 100% LOOKED the part, but, he didn't ACT the part.

He seems like a decent enough guy. And I want to like him. But I have never felt that he has ever been very good in anything I’ve seen him in. Ironically, he was at his best as the villain in M.I.:Fallout

He cut an imposing figure. he looked great in the role. I liked his Superman, but always felt that the story was a disservice to the character and Cavill. There isn't one actor that defines the role. never has been. Christopher Reeve was great at presenting the duality of Clark/Superman, but I also loved George Reeves' series, and to an extent, the Kirk Alyn portrayal, even if it was ridiculous.

I grew up with Christopher Reeve as the definitive portrayal, even though his movies were trash after Donner left the director seat. It also didn't hurt that you had a story penned by Mario Puzo for the first film. I disliked Superman Returns, but found a lot to like about Brandon Routh, even if he was doing a pale impression of Christopher Reeve. But, that is what he was hired to do. He wasn't given the role to make it his own.

I absolutely LOVE Tyler Hoechlin's take as Clark and Superman in the CW series. Is it a perfect show? No. I don't care for it taking place largely in Smallville. But I throroughly love the scenes where it shows Superman as belonging to the world, and not just America.

Cavill looked like he was carved from granite. He showed glimpses of charm (very few as the scripts allowed), but for most of the films, he felt too alien. Too isolated. Too conflicted. There was very little growth, until the final scenes of JL (both cuts).

He cut an imposing figure. he looked great in the role. I liked his Superman, but always felt that the story was a disservice to the character and Cavill. There isn't one actor that defines the role. never has been. Christopher Reeve was great at presenting the duality of Clark/Superman, but I also loved George Reeves' series, and to an extent, the Kirk Alyn portrayal, even if it was ridiculous.

I grew up with Christopher Reeve as the definitive portrayal, even though his movies were trash after Donner left the director seat. It also didn't hurt that you had a story penned by Mario Puzo for the first film. I disliked Superman Returns, but found a lot to like about Brandon Routh, even if he was doing a pale impression of Christopher Reeve. But, that is what he was hired to do. He wasn't given the role to make it his own.

I absolutely LOVE Tyler Hoechlin's take as Clark and Superman in the CW series. Is it a perfect show? No. I don't care for it taking place largely in Smallville. But I throroughly love the scenes where it shows Superman as belonging to the world, and not just America.

Cavill looked like he was carved from granite. He showed glimpses of charm (very few as the scripts allowed), but for most of the films, he felt too alien. Too isolated. Too conflicted. There was very little growth, until the final scenes of JL (both cuts).

upload_2023-1-5_9-32-49.gif

Excellent points. I really enjoyed Cavill despite what he was given to work with, but he never felt like "Superman". I don't put the blame on him though. I was willing to go along with this new version but the moment he says "No one stays good in this world" in BvS? I'm sorry but that goes against everything the character stands for in my eyes. Its a shame he never got the chance to really dig into the role. Unfortunately WB is a complete mess. I trust Gunn but I don't believe WB is competent enough to figure this out. Fingers crossed that it somehow rights the ship.

Excellent points. I really enjoyed Cavill despite what he was given to work with, but he never felt like "Superman". I don't put the blame on him though. I was willing to go along with this new version but the moment he says "No one stays good in this world" in BvS? I'm sorry but that goes against everything the character stands for in my eyes. Its a shame he never got the chance to really dig into the role. Unfortunately WB is a complete mess. I trust Gunn but I don't believe WB is competent enough to figure this out. Fingers crossed that it somehow rights the ship.

I don't know if I trust WB either. But we don't have much of a choice but to sit back and wait. Which is fine. They need a playbook. As formulaic as marvel has become, they are successful (or have been very successful) because of a unified vision across their properties.

WB hasn't given me much faith in them lately. They need to develop a unified vision for their properties. I am fine with there being "Elseworlds" films like The Joker and The Batman, and also having a concurrent shared universe. The ridiculousness that the studio thinks we are all too stupid and easily confused by characters appearing on TV and film, portrayed by different actors, is an ideology that needs to be curbed by the studios. There is more than enough room for different iterations of the characters, across multiple platforms. Most of us are adults, and quite capable at understanding that the universes are isolated, until they aren't through events like Flashpopint, and Crisis events.

I don't know what the future will look like for DCU. I hope that they develop a playbook, in the way that marvel has done. Not because I feel Disney (née Marvel Studios) is a superior product. I am a fan of both DC and Marvel. But because, despite of the mixed reception, post Infinity Saga, Disney has tirelessly stuck to their plan, and it has been successful overall (if not divisive). Let Gunn run the department the way Kevin Feige does at the house of Mouse. Let him develop his vision. It'll take time, but who knows. It just may be successful. Again... so long as he gets creative control. less cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

I think that if they cast the right sort, and it's a huge hit, people will say cavill who?

But, if it bombs, they'll be alot of "see I told you so's"

I think that if they cast the right sort, and it's a huge hit, people will say cavill who?

But, if it bombs, they'll be alot of "see I told you so's"

Yeah. Pretty much. There will always be the die-hard Cavill fans, but overall, he had his one solo film, BvS, then ultimately nothing but cameos, including the limited screen time he had in JL and ZSJL.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but mos could have been a decent starting point for the dceu.
The problem was WB and Snyder.

Snyder should have been let go from superman after mos, and a new director brought in for Part 2.
But WB panicked, doubled down, and wanted batman in the 2nd film instead of a solo superman sequel.

We all know what happened after that.
It all lead to where we are right now.

I think the tornado scene was the dumbest of the dumb.
Who would stand there and watch your father die, knowing you could save them?
Superpowers remaing a secret or not.
No way that ( most ) people with a heart would have did that.

That is just not in clark's character either.

I would have written that scene differently.
Everything leading up to it would have been the same.
The Clark and Jonathan arguing scene while in the car, etc.

Clarks senses, ie, superhearing, sight, etc haven't fully developed just yet. They are at about 50%

The tornado arrives. Jonathan stops the car and jumps out.
He tells Clark to go get those people and I'll get these.

They are both off saving people separately.
over half a mile now separates them.

The tornado closes in. The sound is deafening. We see people running for their lives.

Jonathan gets distracted by the sound of a dog, he attempts to save it.
The tornado closes in on him.

Clark is concentrating on the people he is saving and he doesn't know the tornado is closing in on Jonathan's location
( it's the same scene as in Mos, Jonathan saved the dog, he broke his foot. )

Jonathan calls out......clark.

Clark is busy saving people and doesn't hear him. He points at the bridge and tells them to run there.
It feels good saving people he thinks.
He returns a smile to a grateful little girl he just saved.

Clark I love you son..............

Clark pauses......he hears something in the air.
He tilts his head slightly and focuses.
It almost seems like.........a whisper.

At first he thinks it's just the howling of the wind and debris, but he feels something more is there.
He closes his eyes and focuses harder, and finally pulls it out.

He hears his dad through the chaos.
"clark" the voice says.

Clark looks in the direction the sound is coming from.
He squints his eyes and concentrates.

He sees Jonathan through the debris.
The tornado has him.
Clarks eyes grow wide in terror.

Jonathan knows clark sees him and he smiles at him.
He mouths the words goodbye, and take care of your mom......just as he goes airborn into the twister and disappears.

Clark takes off running at superspeed. ( he can't fly yet )
Everything around him slows down ( similar to flash speed ) and he enters the tornado.

Flying debris is all around and tries to hit Clark, but he is moving much faster than it, and avoids most of the debris.
Cars, trees, pieces of homes, etc, rush at him, but he brushes them aside like tissue paper, he even uses some like steps to try and reach Jonathan.

He looks up. Jonathan is high above him.
Clark jumps onto a flying car, he uses it to springboard to a nearby flying rooftop, then on to a huge sign, to get higher.

Nothing else matters now but his father.
He focuses his hearing on Jonathan's heartbeat..... it's slowing.
Clark increases his speed even more.

He is now moving faster than he ever has.
He gets Close............. closer still to Jonathan.
It's a race against death itself.

Clark yells over the sound of the wind in a booming voice that he never knew he possessed.
DAD! TAKE MY HAND!!! REACH!!

Clark reaches out to Jonathan ( oh so Close )

Jonathan's dirt and blood covered hand reaches ( in slo mo ) out from the debris for clark, but it instantly disappears in a cloud of death.

Clark listens for Jonathan's heartbeat.
He hears it for a second, But then it ceases...

Clark slows his superspeed and stops.
Jonathan is gone.

The tornado travels off into the distance and disappears.

Clark lowers his head.
He bends forward, with his hands on his knees, and silently weeps.

He finally makes the long walk back towards Martha. His clothes are in a tattered and dirty mess.

As he walks, a small break in the clouds above him reveal the sun. It shines down on him.

Martha sees Clark coming, but he's alone.
He walks up to her.
The look on his face says it all.

she collapses in heartache and screams.
Several women standing nearby that Jonathan had saved, comfort her.

Next scene is of Clark on the farm a few weeks later, honing his senses.
Martha is by his side, offering encouragment.

Last edited:
No way most would have did that.

That is not in clark's character.

Clarks senses, ie, superhearing, sight, etc haven't fully developed just yet. They are at about 50%

They are both off saving people separately.

Clark is concentrating on the people he is saving and doesn't know the tornado is closing in on Jonathan ( same as in mos, he saved a dog, his foot is broken.)

Clark is still busy saving people and doesn't hear him.

"Clark" "I love you son"

Clark pauses..he hears something.
He focuses.
At first it's just the howling wind and debris but there is something more. He focuses harder.

He hears a whisper through the chaos. "clark"

Clark looks in the direction of the sound.

Jonathan knows clark sees him and smiles at Clark.
He mouths the words goodbye, and take care of your mom......

Clark takes off at superspeed.
Everything slows down.
Flying Cars hit Clark, and trees, all sorts of debris from the tornado pummels him, but he brushes them aside.

He gets close to Jonathan, but Jonathan disappears in a cloud of debris, just before Clark can reach him.

The tornado leaves.

Clark lowers his head, turns and makes the long walk back toward Martha.
The sun shines down on him from a break in the clouds.

The look on clarks face, and the tears, instantly tell her. She knows..

Next scene is of Clark on the farm honing his senses.
Martha is by his side, offering incouragment.

This works, tonally, more in line with the character. It feels similar to the "All these powers, and I couldn't save him." from Superman: The Movie. Not "I was gonna save him, but he said F*** that noise!"

No way most would have did that.

That is not in clark's character.

They are both off saving people separately, over half a mile is between them.
The tornado closes in. The sound is deafening.

Clark is concentrating on the people he is saving and doesn't know the tornado is closing in on Jonathan's location ( same as in Mos, he saved a dog, his foot is broken.)

Clark is still busy saving people and doesn't hear him.

"Clark" "I love you son"

Clark pauses..he hears something on the air.
He focuses.
At first it's just the howling wind and debris but there is something more there.
He focuses harder.

He hears a whisper through the chaos. "clark"

Clark looks in the direction of the sound.
Clarks eyes grow wide in fear.

Jonathan knows clark sees him and he smiles at him.
He mouths the words goodbye, and take care of your mom......

Clark takes off at superspeed.
Everything slows down ( similar to flash speed )

Flying debris hits Clark. Cars, trees, pieces of homes, etc, pummel him, but he brushes them aside.

He gets close to Jonathan, very close.
Jonathan reaches out to clark, but he disappears in a cloud of debris just before Clark can reach him.

Clark slows his superspeed and stops.

The tornado travels off into the distance and disappears.

Clark lowers his head, turns, and makes the long walk back toward Martha.

The sun shines down on him from a break in the clouds above.

The look on clarks face, and the tears, instantly tell her all she needs to know.

Next scene is of Clark on the farm a few weeks later, honing his senses.
Martha is by his side, offering encouragment.
This would have been wonderful. But I would add that you would need to alter the previous Jonathan scenes to remove the “maybe” insinuation that Clark should let people die whom he has the power to save. Jonathan should not raise his son in that way.

As the father of an adopted son myself, I appreciate the fact that the tornado scene followed Clark stating that Jonathan was not his “real father.” That’s always a difficult situation in an adoptive family. That said, in 16 years, I’ve never had a conversation with my son that was that melodramatic on that subject. But I am blessed in that regard.
Still, the setup for that scene was interesting, but the damage was already done by Jonathan’s apathetic parental advice that he gave earlier in the film, as well as his foolish actions during the tornado itself. Combine that with Clark’s deer in the headlights reaction, and the scene just doesn’t work at all and like most of MOS is just more wasted potential.

Snyder is always about the "epic" ideas on paper...but never wants to make the stuff work outside of empty visuals and the idea.

Never better shown than in the Tornado scene or the Martha scene.
Two scenes that could have been THE best scenes of the snyderverse...but stand as prime example of how NOT to do something.

This would have been wonderful. But I would add that you would need to alter the previous Jonathan scenes to remove the “maybe” insinuation that Clark should let people die whom he has the power to save. Jonathan should not raise his son in that way.

As the father of an adopted son myself, I appreciate the fact that the tornado scene followed Clark stating that Jonathan was not his “real father.” That’s always a difficult situation in an adoptive family. That said, in 16 years, I’ve never had a conversation with my son that was that melodramatic on that subject. But I am blessed in that regard.
Still, the setup for that scene was interesting, but the damage was already done by Jonathan’s apathetic parental advice that he gave earlier in the film, as well as his foolish actions during the tornado itself. Combine that with Clark’s deer in the headlights reaction, and the scene just doesn’t work at all and like most of MOS is just more wasted potential.
Yes, that would have been cut as well.

dc pretty much need an RDJ level casting for superman.

Yo
dc pretty much need an RDJ level casting for superman.
I kinda think Superman needs to be an relatively unknown actor.
I feel those around him tho, especially Jonathan/Martha, Perry, and Lex need to be A list actors.

They don't need to be A list, but they do need to be strong experienced actors who are perfect for their roles.

I don't have much faith in WB because this is like how many strikes at this point? How many times have we had different DC Film studio heads come in and try to present a whole unified vision and try to make everyone happy? Batman v Superman was such a disaster they are still reeling from that disaster almost 7 years later.

Also when you look at a lot of the decisions being made lately, it doesn't sound very supportive of artists and the creative process. Not to mention their debts and money problems. There are rumors they can barely even afford to market Shazam: Fury of the Gods. The movie comes out in just over two months and we've barely seen any marketing materials for it.

Yes absolutely. MoS and ZSJL are two of my favorite superhero movies and I was looking forward to a new Cavill solo film.

I think the next Superman film will be a massive overcorrection. Filling the movie up with constant jokes, quips, and winks at the camera. Or just doing a Donner film type rehash making Superman fight goofy villains and saving the day by turning back time. I'd bet anything. This is how Hollywood thinks.

Yo

I kinda think Superman needs to be an relatively unknown actor.
I feel those around him tho, especially Jonathan/Martha, Perry, and Lex need to be A list actors.

what i mean is that we need a performance like rdj did. something that captures you immediately - someone with that type of charisma and ability to connect to the audience. at the time rdj was well known but more about his drug issues and wasn't getting the big roles - almost an afterthought. then he took stark and just ran with it.

The only reason I wanted more Cavill is so we didn’t have to start over. He is a ****ty actor and one of my least favorite Supermen. Welling is the best Superman of the 21st century, and Reeve is the best of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"