Heroes: Origins Shelved.

Jennifer Walters

Attorney at Law
Reaction score
NBC Puts Heroes: Origins on Hold
Source: Variety
November 1, 2007

Variety reports that NBC is putting the kibosh on "Heroes: Origins" -- and the possibility of a strike contributed to the decision.

The network has indefinitely shelved production on the planned six-episode spin-off of its Monday hit. The series -- which had attracted heavy hitters such as Eli Roth, Kevin Smith and Michael Dougherty (Superman Returns) -- was set to premiere later this season while "Heroes" was on hiatus.

Now NBC has decided to not move forward with the production, at least for now.

The trade says that NBC Universal entertainment co-chairs Ben Silverman and Marc Graboff didn't want to move forward with the project given the financial uncertainties of a possible WGA work stoppage.

Insiders cautioned that "Heroes: Origins" isn't completely dead and could very well be revived at a later date, perhaps as soon as next season.

Indeed. I was looking forward to what this could bring us. Stupid strike is already doing it's damage.

That just plain effing sucks. :(

What are they going to do in its place?

Stupid writers. They got this shelved, tons of important films rushed into development. I myself as a writer am just disgusted with my professional compadres. :dry:

Fcking strike! I really wanted to see Eli Roth's take on this. Goddamnit.

I'm not losin any sleep... I wasn't all that interested anyways. It's far too early for a spin off of sorts anyway

could they adapt origins into a storyarc?

That sucks. Spinoff is a deceiving word to use. I don't consider it a spinoff in the sense that it was a new show. It was just a cool way to use the hiatus and get the fans involved.

I think this is partly due to the potential strike and partly due to the ratings this season

I think this is partly due to the potential strike and partly due to the ratings this season

I was about to suggest the same thing. With people like Eli Roth and Kevin Smith attached, NBC isn't going to come out and say "Our ratings are dropping, so we're not investing more money in this. You guys are out." However, the strike gives them the perfect scape goat to put this on the shelf and see if ratings improve. Not to mention, this is very hasty. If Origins is premiering in late April, they do not even need to start filming until March. There is plenty of time to resolve the strike. Definitely just using the strike as a scape goat. :cmad:

Woohoo! This probably means we'll be getting extra episodes of Deal or No Deal! Can never have enough episodes of a gameless game show! Can't wait for this writers strike there just isn't enough reality TV these days.

Are the ratings that bad? I had no idea.

The ratings are not bad enough to cancel Origins. :rolleyes:

They also aren't good enough to warrant the production costs. Especially since its not being canceled. Canceled implies it was actually made and aired and then pulled. They are simply shelving a project because its costs do not warrant the possible profits.

The fans and the writers guild really dropped the ball on this one. Buncha *******s. I was looking foreward to it. :(

this actually sucks i was really looking foward to this. a fresh look at heroes from some awesome people. too bad hopefully next season we'll have it

rofl at your sig...

Rumour has is that declining hype and ratings behind Heroes may have had something to do with it. They may just concentrate on the central product. If Heroes improves, I'd call it a good move...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"