His Dark Materials

Disappointing first episode. Really don't like how Tom Hooper directs anything

Oh come on. You know you want to see this. :o

giphy.gif

Disappointing first episode. Really don't like how Tom Hooper directs anything
Yeah, I will say his directing's really blah. But I've got no issues with the script or casting thus far, and I know the unfolding story's great if they're faithful to the books, so I'm in it for the duration unless those elements fall apart.

The second episode was really good! Ruth Wilson, in particular, has a presence that makes it hard to take your eyes off her. I've been neglecting this show to a degree as it airs on the same night as both Watchmen and Mr. Robot, the latter of which has been firing on all cylinders this season; but it's definitely not to missed.

Watchmen airs on Sunday, this on Monday.

The second episode was really good! Ruth Wilson, in particular, has a presence that makes it hard to take your eyes off her. I've been neglecting this show to a degree as it airs on the same night as both Watchmen and Mr. Robot, the latter of which has been firing on all cylinders this season; but it's definitely not to missed.

Ruth Wilson is such a fantastic actress. I loved that little back and forth argument she had with Dafne Keen who Iv'e been really enjoying in this as well.

I am about halfway though the second episode, and I feel like they have padded this out way too much. How they have constructed the show, causes Lyra to go missing, as we get a lot of extraneous detail and characters. Also because they have padded it out, the shows dialogue feels unnatural a lot of the time because they seem to try to avoid what they can't say yet. So it plays like a weird game of telephone. It's very frustrating, because when we are strictly with Lyra, Asriel and Coulter I think the show is really good. If these were 40 min episodes focused on those characters, it would be so much better imo. Finally, some of the reveals so far have been bizarre. The timing is like, why now?

Last weeks episode did feel really padded out, but man I thought this weeks was great and I honestly almost didn't want it to end. Such an awesome introduction for Iroek Byrnison, and I never thought the words "If they fight, they will all die" could sound so badass and epic coming from an armored Polar Bear lol. He might easily end up being my favorite character in this show. I enjoyed Lin Manuel Miranda's introduction in this episode as well. His relationship with Iroek already seems really interesting and I definitely want to see more of their backstory.

Last edited:
Last weeks episode did feel really padded out, but man I thought this weeks was great and I honestly almost didn't want it to end. Such an awesome introduction for Iroek Byrnison, and I never thought the words "If they fight, they will all die" could sound so badass and epic coming from an armored Polar Bear lol. He might easily end up being my favorite character in this show. I enjoyed Lin Manuel Miranda's introduction in this episode as well. His relationship with Iroek already seems really interesting and I definitely want to see more of their backstory.
We don't get the next episode until tomorrow. :argh:

Well damn now that episode was dark, but honestly that's what I'm really enjoying about this show. Even with all the cutesy talking animals it never feels childish or family friendly to me, and they are definitely embracing the seriousness of what's at stake.

This show moves at such a crawl, while simultaneously zooms through important stuff like it doesn't even matter. I want to like this, I really do. But as someone who really likes the story, I finding this a really annoying watch a lot of the time. They messed with the story quite a bit, and I am not sure why. It kills the story's pacing and kind of sucks the energy out of major moments and storylines in general. The show ends up feeling confusing and just all over the place. They have already basically murdered the theoretical finale of this season and the start of next, and I don't know why. For all it's issue, I'd probably say the movie is a better adaptation of the material. .

Also I don't know how old the kid playing Will is suppose to be, but he should be the same age as Lyra. Meaning he should probably look younger then her, not older.

Last edited:
I'm catching up on this (at what feels like a snail's pace due to how dreary these episodes feel) and I got to episode 5... I'm not sure I really needed the scene dedicated to undressing a 14 year old. That whole scene felt really weird and like you probably didn't need to do it that way. I don't know if that's in the book, I haven't read them, but it just felt like a really unnecessary way to get to the obvious reveal.

Episode 6 felt much better than the last few. It helped being away from the Gyptians, who I find to be a wet blanket, and Ruth Wilson's really entertaining so I liked her being back.

Last edited:
I'm catching up on this (at what feels like a snail's pace due to how dreary these episodes feel) and I got to episode 5... I'm not sure I really needed the scene dedicated to undressing a 14 year old. That whole scene felt really weird and like you probably didn't need to do it that way. I don't know if that's in the book, I haven't read them, but it just felt like a really unnecessary way to get to the obvious reveal.
I thought it was weird too, but then I realized the episode was directed by Drake, and it made sense.

Okay, Drake didn't direct the episode, but be honest with yourself. For a second there you weren't sure.

Well I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2 after that finale. Sure this show was slow in spots, but I really did enjoy the mythology and world building here and it helps that so many of the performances are also pretty fantastic. I am also hoping we get way more James McAvoy next season as well, especially after that twist with his character which I wasn't expecting, but thinking back on it I should have. More lorek would be great too.

McAvoy and Wilson had zero chemistry in that final episode which made it a bit awkward. I don't love this, but it's a fine watch. I'm curious to see how they blend the stories next season because right now Will's doesn't interest me at all.

Finally finished it tonight, really enjoyed it overall. Some ropey bits but that was probably down to budget. Also, it seemed at points they were trying to be different from the movie just for the sake of it.

But overall really good and knowing where it goes having read the books looking forward to season 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"