History Channel's 'Vikings'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Kings expects of Ragnar that he would come to the conclusion that he must kill the Jarl.
At the end, Ragnar was just putting his head to the woman belly, happy to have a new child. Btw, the woman knew after one coitus that she is pregnant, odd.
Rollo motives may not be as they appear, I think he may cover Ragnar's back.

Because most of the episodes seems to take massive leaps forward in time, weeks and even months, I think she probably missed her period. When she told Ragnar of the pregnancy it was probably a good 3 weeks or more after they'd bumped uglies.

I am aware of the huge time lapse but didn't noticed it in this episode between their first mating and the pregnancy announcement. Anyway, it is a valid explanation.

I don't blame you, they really don't 'show' the leaps in time. We're just expected to notice details like, halfway through a scene and go "Oh, so it's six months later now?". It's quite odd, and can throw things out of whack sometimes. I'm kind of used to it now, but especially in the earlier episodes it was pretty jarring as a viewer.

it's kind of interesting that it's twice now where the Priest's life has been "spared" but at the expense of someone else's life.

Last episode, that big Viking dude took his place as the sacrifice.

And now in the finale, the Ragnar's daughter asked her mom to pray for the Priest, and he survived while the girl died ( which was sad ).

He is an interesting character, it would have been a shame to kill him yet. It is also part of his development as a character to see other died in his stead, maybe it is a nod to the Christian faith, "big Viking dude" and "Ragnar's daughter" made the sacrifice of their lives to save the Priest.

Yeah but they didnt actually save the life of the priest...(this is history channel after all, not Game of Thrones)i think it just speaks for the clans character, in a way, and how honorable but strange it is.

At any rate I'm not sure about the theory of the King...i think he does see Ragnar as a threat and the Spider Web is some sort of metaphor for Ragnar and his people..not nec the Yarl. Its possibly he thinks the conflict will take Ragnar out of the picture.

My impression of the spider web was that the spider symbolized Ragnar, and the fly was the Jarl. I guess the web is the king? Something like that. The king is bonkers.

Or is Ragnar the fly and the king the spider? :p

The actor playing Rollo will star in a similar role in Hammer of the Gods.
The trailer is very close to a movie version of Vikings.

He's going to get himself typecast if he's not careful.

So just how historically accurate is this series? I just marathoned the 1st season and it almost seems like atheist propaganda. A very interesting and enlightening look back on earth history.

How much time are they leaping ahead to have someone so old play Ragnar's son? :(

So just how historically accurate is this series? I just marathoned the 1st season and it almost seems like atheist propaganda. A very interesting and enlightening look back on earth history.

The story of Ragnar is as much legend as it is history.The series is an adaption of a history book so I'd say its pretty accurate to what we know to have happened.

I wouldn't called it atheist propaganda but it is probably more accurate to reality than a lot of other "historical" movies and television series.

Though it probably still takes liberties with the historical record to "punch up" the story for modern audiences. Some parts are no doubt down played while others are elevated or just plain fabricated to make this more interesting.

I wouldn't say its atheist propaganda either.

I don't think there is anything anti-religious about the show.

I don't even know how you managed to take away "atheist propaganda" from the first season. Because they kill Christians? The vikings have their own gods. Atheism isn't an anti-Christian thing, it's the belief there are no gods of any kind. Unless you meant something else Avangarde, I'm pretty confused.

On top of that the vikings were polytheists (many gods), so they were the very opposition of atheism. It takes place during a time when Christianity is still very young and before it gained a widespread across Europe. I'm pretty sure though by the end of this series they'll become Christians at least in part.

Where the **** did athiest propaganda come from lol?

Fun fact: Early Christians were considered athiests by the Roman Empire for refusing to worship their gods. That's the thing about athiesm. It isn't some anti-christianity movement. It predates christianity by thousands of years. Its a disbelief in all gods. Athiesm: from the greek atheos which means godless. This show is far from being athiest.

Perhaps Athiest was the wrong term to use, although I did say "almost seems like". It's just the way I took it, particularly after every time the priest tries to convince himself that God is real. I would probably question my faith as well.

The Priest doesn't try to convince himself that his God is real but rather he is questioning his faith, doubting it because of his discovery of the North Gods which are real too ( real = people believed in them, they had true powers for their followers ).
If anything, it is a Christian thing the fable about the doubting man who find the light ( whatever it is ) at the end of his spiritual journey. I'm sure the Priest will be back to full Christian but with a deeper respect for the old Gods.

This first season comes out on Blu-Ray next Tuesday. I'm happy to have it, but I am not used to some of these shows coming out on disc so early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"