How did you get your current job?

My current job? I went to the UPS hiring website, aw an opening, and applied online.

My first job? I walked around the mall from store to store collecting paper applications. The survey people called me back.

My current job? I walked in and applied.

My first job? I walked in and applied.

All of my jobs have involved meeting the person hiring, first, or by knowing someone already working at the company. I've gotten interviews by applying to places online (mind you, the interview to application ratio was absurd...I applied to dozens of jobs with only a couple of interviews), but never actually gotten a job that way.

These days, it really is all about who you know, or at least making a good first impression. You've got to go the extra mile.

I got my job in two days.

I walked into the store... a liquor store at that... she told me to go to corporate.
Then today I went to the corporate offices and filled out a job application. They had me stay for an interview... then a second with her boss.... then they tag teamed me and I was offered a position as long as I pass my credit and drug tests. Then I get certified to sell alcohol and tobacco and I start my orientation Tuesday and my job Wednesday.

2 days.... WTF it took me half a year to find my last job!?

In order to get my current position, I had to go to graduate school. In addition to this, I had to work as a student. Since I had a few years of work experience as a claims adjuster, I was able to make a good impression on some of the senior level administrators. Also, while I was looking, I improved my resume, cover letter writing, and interview skills. All of these allowed me to be competitive when applying for jobs.

As they say, finding a job can be a job in and of itself.

I was going to the job centre, and they had a work experience scheme going. I attended that for two months, then I was lucky enough to get hired from it all.

I saw the job in the paper, applied, got it. Went in for promotion, failed horribly, back to standard job. Did same again, back to standard job.

I think the directors are against me...

I was unemployed for five months but checked craiglist ads every day. I finally got hired by a temp agency to work construction. After two weeks the job was completed and I got laid off with the other hires. They told me to call back every Friday for updates.
The next day I applied at Avis car rental. They hired me two days after a drug test.

Talked to a guy at a Design Firm, who recommended I get my portfolio looked at by some lady he knew. I met with the lady to get pointers on my portfolio, and she loved it so much she got me to start working at an Advertising Firm as a Motion Graphics Designer and a Video Editor (now also as a translator). After working there for about a week I still had no idea who ran the place. Turns out that "some lady" was the President of the company.

I got mine the old fashion way, went in & applied, got hired the next day.

My first job? I was a trainer's assistant at my mom's health club. She got me the interview and I was hired the same day. Basically, all I did was wipe down the workout equipment, collect trash, clean certain rooms, and a few other basic duties. Your typical High School job. After that I worked at Panera Bread as a cashier until I graduated. Got that job just by applying to it in persona and filling out an application.

My Current job? I work as a copywriter for a major financial institution. I can't say which because I'm working on a project that hasn't launched yet. After college (Creative Writing/Journalism major) I worked for a website for about a year as an assistant editor. Found the job on Craigslit, applied, and was brought in for an interview about two weeks after I sent my resume and even started my training that day.

After a year I got laid off from there. I was unemployed for about 5 months until I found a freelance writing gig on Craigslist for a deal site (similar to Groupon) and applied to that job. That gig lasted about 3 months until my editor said they were "going on pause for a few weeks to retool things" and I never heard from him again.

4 months later I'm still unemployed and running very low on savings. So I searched Craigslist for "No Experience Necessary" and found a telemarketing job selling magazine subscriptions. It sucked. While working that job I kept looking for writing jobs and eventually found another daily deal writing gig. I worked both jobs for 7 months, until my editor asked me if I wanted to work full time. The company I worked for partnered up with a bigger company. So I was promoted and moved to a different project that I'm currently working on. I work about 8 hours a day, from my apartment, with only the occasional video conference. It's pretty sweet.

So there ya go. My advice to anyone having a hard time finding a job is to keep looking and never give up. I can't even begin to tell you how many jobs I applied to during my unemployment periods. You're going to not hear back from people a lot, and will probably have to get a job you hate or are overqualified for. Many employers don't like hiring the unemployed regardless of your education or past experience. An accountant friend of mine couldn't find a job, then started working at Subway, and finally found a real job a few months later. Employers like to see that you're willing to work, even if the job you're applying for has nothing do with your current one.

My first job the chef came over to a group of us who were sitting having a drink and said 'Do any of you pretty ladies want a waitressing job?'

I put my hand up quickest :funny:

Second job, my friend was leaving so I knew ahead of time position was going, so I got in there and asked if they needed a replacement.

Last job was the usual process though. Saw ad in paper, called, arranged interview, was chosen for the position :)

Currently I'm looking for work in a new city. I've just had a meeting with a recruitment agency who are hopefully going to find me some work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"