How do you feel about THE LAST STAND now?

The Guard

Avenger
Reaction score
Rate it now that we've had time to let things sink in.

With time, It got worse imo. I re-read my review some days ago, and, though I still agree with most things that I posted, the movie seems worse now.

My bitterness towards the movie hasn't abated any. I still feel wholeheartedly that it spat liberally upon the X-Men mythos and then dropped its pants and... ermm... well, you know.

I chose "decent". I enjoyed many parts of the film, but was disapointed because it could've been so much better. I don't really blame Ratner for it. I think he's a capable director, and did well considering the situation. I had major issues with the script, and of course Fox rushing the film out. I love the film for it's action and emotion in a couple scenes (the Phoenix/Xavier scenes). But the story needed work.

Everything that happened with Rogue, Cyclops, and Mystique annoyed me. The 'cure' plot had so much more potential, but was wasted...and don't get me started on Phoenix. Even though it went against the comics, I thought her effects were cool, but her storyline was weak.

At first I thought it was better than X1, but now I like X1 more. Overall, X2's my favorite out of the entire trilogy.

I choose "Poor".

When this poll came around the first time I went X-Cellent. Now that I've had time, and have seen and studied the film, I'm revising my decision to poor. It's got some good stuff, but ultimately it's not a good film. Basically, the whole is nowhere near the sum of its parts, and unfortunately, in film, the whole is what matters.

Meh...it's ok. The replay value though is horrible. I cannot sit down and watch that movie over and over like I can X1, X2, SM1, or SM2.

I still think you get payed for this Guard...

Don't worry, by tomorrow all the 'lovers' will get up and vote this thing excellent again. Either that or it still could be said that everyone's vote was just swayed by all the other negative feedbackers.

But let's never admit that this thing wasn't very good... never do that!

sure there were things here and there that could've been *tweaked* but so were with the singer films. Hell, even the spidey films have their faults. overall though, the film could've been a helluva lot worse. One reason I like it was because Wolverine wasn't the center of attention as he was the in the 1st two films.

Duneboy said:
sure there were things here and there that could've been *tweaked* but so were with the singer films. Hell, even the spidey films have their faults. overall though, the film could've been a helluva lot worse. One reason I like it was because Wolverine wasn't the center of attention as he was the in the 1st two films.

I don't know what movie you were watching. You will be flamed for this by the way...just warning you.

Duneboy said:
One reason I like it was because Wolverine wasn't the center of attention as he was the in the 1st two films.

chaseter said:
I don't know what movie you were watching.

... <-just to fill the post.

Now that i have thought about it more.I voted decent. There was some decent things in the movie i liked.., but there was some bad things in the movie as well.. that could've been better imo.

I blame Ratner, Penn, and Kinberg for willing to work with a half-assed script and not wanting to make a complete quality film. It seemed Ratner was only in it for the money and had no interest in making a great film.

Seriously, this could've been the trilogy of all trilogies. In my opinion X3 could've surpassed Return of the King with the potential it had. Instead, Fox chose to neglect that particular potential and decided to defecate on the source material and spit in the face of the fans.

In the end it's a matter of opinion, I guess. When push comes to shove I am a passionate X-Men reader and I am passionate about the stories, the characters, and the overall theme that is the X-Men. I am not denying that X1/X2 had deviations from the material, but, believe it or not, the changes that were made didn't ruin the films and the films were so emotionally powerful and intelligent that it didn't matter. Despite those changes Singer was still very faithful to the X-Men universe and the overall theme.

Singer, in my opinion, brought the comics to life the way I always imagined with his vision.

Perhaps if X1/X2 were mindless action films with no story then maybe X3 would be easier for me to accept. But since both films were building up to something epic and beautiful, and to see what X3 is really just makes me vomit inside with the whole politics issue.

Boba_Fett_123 said:
When this poll came around the first time I went X-Cellent. Now that I've had time, and have seen and studied the film, I'm revising my decision to poor. It's got some good stuff, but ultimately it's not a good film. Basically, the whole is nowhere near the sum of its parts, and unfortunately, in film, the whole is what matters.

Your right, it the whole that matters. Because of it's predecessors, I expected nothing from TLS, and that's what I got. The whole smells like fish. The washed up, wanna be pretentious, malfunctioning beginning didn't leave much room for this one. The problems with the directors and the disaster of writing just beat this already dead horse. It didn't stand a chance.

To few good things doesn't make this a remarkable film in any way shape or form.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't get the empty angry feeling I got when I watched the first two. Instead I was just happy it wasn't a COUPLE of hours I wasted. Just over 100 mins. That's still sad.

Something between decent and poor.

The only reason I didn't vote poor was because of the cast (seeing them together again was great) and Angel's flight scenes - note, just his flight scenes.

WorthyStevens4 said:
Something between decent and poor.

The only reason I didn't vote poor was because of the cast (seeing them together again was great) and Angel's flight scenes - note, just his flight scenes.

Well, that was all he really had. :o :oldrazz:

Well, he also displayed an incredible ability to stick his head through a door.

Cyclops said:
Well, he also displayed an incredible ability to stick his head through a door.

I wish I could do that.

LastSunrise1981 said:
I blame Ratner, Penn, and Kinberg for willing to work with a half-assed script and not wanting to make a complete quality film. It seemed Ratner was only in it for the money and had no interest in making a great film.

Seriously, this could've been the trilogy of all trilogies. In my opinion X3 could've surpassed Return of the King with the potential it had. Instead, Fox chose to neglect that particular potential and decided to defecate on the source material and spit in the face of the fans.

In the end it's a matter of opinion, I guess. When push comes to shove I am a passionate X-Men reader and I am passionate about the stories, the characters, and the overall theme that is the X-Men. I am not denying that X1/X2 had deviations from the material, but, believe it or not, the changes that were made didn't ruin the films and the films were so emotionally powerful and intelligent that it didn't matter. Despite those changes Singer was still very faithful to the X-Men universe and the overall theme.

Singer, in my opinion, brought the comics to life the way I always imagined with his vision.

Perhaps if X1/X2 were mindless action films with no story then maybe X3 would be easier for me to accept. But since both films were building up to something epic and beautiful, and to see what X3 is really just makes me vomit inside with the whole politics issue.

You know, I really wish you could be this civil in all of your discussions. When you express your viewpoint like this, I actually care what you have to say, and want to take part in conversation with you.

Despite our vocal disagreement over X-Men: The Last Stand, I agree whole heartedly with you about X-Men and X-Men United. Nothing changed in Singer's movies messed with the essence and foundation of the X-Men mythology. And even some changes he made, weren't really changes at all, but rather focusing on different aspects of the character than what's mainstream. Perfect example is Rogue. People complain about her being a whiney little crybaby... which is exactly what she is in the comics. Yea, she has her bad ash chick facade, but deep down underneath all of that, she really is the scared, alone girl. She was that when she first joined the X-Men. She didn't become Miss Confident until later. And even when she is that, her relationship in the movies with Iceman is pretty much exactly how her relationship with Gambit in the comics is dealt with.

I think that X-Men: The Last Stand told a much more epic and powerful story than either X-Men or X-Men United did. However, I think that Bryan Singer told his stories better than Ratner told his. Despite my love of X-Men: The Last Stand, there is still a sense of disappointment there, and that is because there's no depth behind what's going on. It's bare bones, minimalistic explanations of everything just to move the plot forward. Singer actually built stuff up, and made it an important part of the story. With X-Men: The Last Stand, it's just kind of "Okay, here it is, next scene".

Overall, I voted "Very Good" (my opinion is somewhere between "Very Good" and "X-Cellent").

I find it to have the best story, and the most epic events.

I find X-Men United to be a better crafted and executed film, even though the story it's telling isn't as interesting.

On the whole, I have a hard time deciding which is my favorite. I may have to give the edge to X-Men: The Last Stand just because I love the storyline so much. But it's tough, because while doing the most right in my opinion, it also did the most wrong. While bringing the X-Men to life in ways Singer never did, it also forgot some of the beautiful elegance that Singer brought to the universe. My biggest complaint about X-Men or X-Men United is Lady Deathstrike not having any connection to Wolverine. X-Men: The Last Stand has problems much more significant than that, like killing off Cyclops, curing Rogue, and turning Wolverine into a leader.

All in all, the one thing that is easy for me to say is that we got an amazing trilogy of X-Men films. From the first shot of Magneto's days in the concentration camps to the final shot of Moira and Xavier on Muir Island, this entire trilogy makes me a very happy X-Men fan.

Sure, things could have been better. But I don't judge films on what they weren't, I judge them on what they were. And to me, what they were, was brilliant adaptations of my favorite fictional universe and my favorite fictional characters, brought to life just as I love them, just the way I see them, with emotional, and epic stories.

For me it's kinda of an up and down thing. There are days that I do like and then other days that I just don't. Even after editing the film myself I still just feel mehh about it. Not just because of cyclops, wolverine hogging the screen, rogue, beasts look, no gambit or phoenix effect and minor characters introduced killed and length (not to mention bringing xaiver back at the end). But its a sell-out movie one of the many typical movies now that are just made by the studios to gain a profit. Quantity over quality which is sad because it defeats the purpose of the first two movies which were all quality and just astoundingly good cinema peices. Sighh...this is why i question an x4 because no matter who the director (even singer) x3 just kinda throughs off the whole feel and I don't know if it will capture the beauty of the first two. Never the less, I am still looking forward to a 4th one because I hope it will fix or tighten up some issues with the third one and at least give me an above average satisfication of the franchise as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"