How Do You Feel The Bible Should Be Taken?

raybia

Signing off
Reaction score
Celldog seems to believe that I have insulted him and Christians with my believe that the Bible is allegorical.

I believe that some of its verses have a straightfoward meaning however I believe the majority of its teachings are given in parables, analogies, similitudes, etc.

So Christian believers of the Hype, have I insulted you with this belief?

Raybia

There's 4 main literary techniques used in The Bible: literal, metaphorical, allegoricall, and I forget what the fourth one is. For the most part, I take them the way their supposed to be taken. I'd say I believe 90% of what's in The Bible truly happened

Certain things I don't believe in it. I disagree with the stance on homosexuality, since it's more or less a given that it is not by choice, and I don't believe that Christianity is the only way to get into Heaven. I also don't believe that The Rapture will go down in its exact Biblical translastion.

On the whole, you need to take The Bible as a whole with a certain degree of subjective thought, since while God did indeed inspire it, the book itself was composed by flawed men.

I don't know how to answer the question, but let's just say I don't take everything literal 100%.

I don't know how to answer the question, but let's just say I don't take everything literal 100%.

It's a difficult question, and I myself struggled to find a compatible answer. It's a tough topic in general. But I'm in agreement with you.

As a Christian, I welcome all ideas, thoughts, theories, etc.

Someone's views will not change mine.

Edit: ..will not change mine, drastically.

Obviously, I wouldn't agree with the idea of no God. However, I have changed my "views," as of late, on many conservative points that were taught to me as a child. For example, I am a grown man; I like to have a beer and hotdog at baseball games. I will not let a preacher, church, group, etc tell me any different.

It's a difficult question, and I myself struggled to find a compatible answer. It's a tough topic in general. But I'm in agreement with you.

Yeah, it's clear that some stuff should be taken as literal but other stuff is more of a grey area. Especially when it comes to the Gospels as there's some stuff that contradicts with each other.

Yeah, it's clear that some stuff should be taken as literal but other stuff is more of a grey area. Especially when it comes to the Gospels as there's some stuff that contradicts with each other.

Jesus spoke in "grey areas."

Some people just can't be reasoned with.

Nice post, by the way! :up:

I say literally, since it's a work of literature.

As a way of life, however, I sincerely believe it's a man-made document used in the old days as a way for more lowly citizens to rise up and control people. I do believe in God, but some of these wacked out devouts I've met have this insane view on him [He loves everyone... Except you:)].

Long story short, I believe in God, but I don't believe in organized religion, the bible, or all that people-hating BS that dumbasses like the WBC spreads.

Yeah, a lot of the contradictions come from a misunderstanding of what is meant to be taken in a metaphorical context and what is meant to be in a more literal context. Though I do think more stuff is meant to be more allegorical than literal and vice versa.

I actually have a friend who's Pat Robertson - level Christian and says everything must be taken as it is and freaks when I suggest to him that he should at least have somewhat of a subjective view towards it.

What are you trying to prove, Raybia?

I get your intial post; I read through this article; but I am confused at your purpose.

Does Jesus talk in riddles? Did man screw up translations? Is Satan really a fallen angel which created such massive force that he, himself, was and is the comet that is known as the big bang theory?

There's 4 main literary techniques used in The Bible: literal, metaphorical, allegoricall, and I forget what the fourth one is. For the most part, I take them the way their supposed to be taken. I'd say I believe 90% of what's in The Bible truly happened

Certain things I don't believe in it. I disagree with the stance on homosexuality, since it's more or less a given that it is not by choice, and I don't believe that Christianity is the only way to get into Heaven. I also don't believe that The Rapture will go down in its exact Biblical translastion.

On the whole, you need to take The Bible as a whole with a certain degree of subjective thought, since while God did indeed inspire it, the book itself was composed by flawed men.

:up:

As for the Rapture, I envision something akin to the Left Behind series. I do believe that saying the sinner's prayer and really meaning it is the only way to get to Heaven, though.

I do not take the bible as literal. I do believe in God but I take Christianity as a moral guide to live my life by.

Jesus made very specific demands on his followers and it's very clear when the scripture is an allegory or parable and when it's intended to be accepted as a historical account or a guide for daily living.

When it says we shouldn't eat rabbits, because they're unclean, because they chew their cud, it is not "symbolism". It's a Law.

When it says that a man who has sex with another man should be put to death, it is not an "allegory" trying to illustrate some vague truth. t was "God" saying "Homosexuality is an abomination, so much so that you should kill anyone who engages in it."

Most of the Parables start with Jesus telling a story almost like a joke, "There was a certain rich man.", "There were 2 brothers."

I don't see why there need be any confusion.....except for when Christians recoil at all the glaring sadism of "God", the blatantly false "science" and need a way to shut out the truth or have their cherished, and erroneous wolrd-view shattered.

:huh:

What are you trying to prove, Raybia?

I get your intial post; I read through this article; but I am confused at your purpose.

Does Jesus talk in riddles? Did man screw up translations? Is Satan really a fallen angel which created such massive force that he, himself, was and is the comet that is known as the big bang theory?

I'm trying to prove to Celldog that I didn't pull the metaphorical nature of the Bible out of my ***.

He seems to be shocked that I even suggested this as though I was the first to mention it.

I know that there are those who take a literal meaning of the bible...and I am not knocking them, but celldog seems oblivous that this has been an age old debate within Christianity.

Also, I'm just asking the rest of you...Am I being offensive towards Christians for believing that most of the bible shouldn't be taken literally?

I don't believe I am nor am I trying to.

I do not take the bible as literal. I do believe in God but I take Christianity as a moral guide to live my life by.

BINGO.

Say that to one of those overzealous bible thumpers that rape your doors at 7AM and you're through, though.

Next time, I'm asking them if they'd like to join me while I sacrifice my goat.

Jesus made very specific demands on his followers and it's very clear when the scripture is an allegory or parable and when it's intended to be accepted as a historical account or a guide for daily living.

I don't see why there need be any confusion.....except for when Christians recoil at all the glaring sadism of "God", the blatantly false "science" and need a way to shut out the truth or have their cherished, and erroneous wolrd-view shattered.

:huh:

This is the point I was trying to make to Celldog.

I'm trying to prove to Celldog that I didn't pull the metaphorical nature of the Bible out of my ***.

He seems to be shocked that I even suggested this as though I was the first to mention it.

I know that there are those who take a literal meaning of the bible...and I am not knocking them, but celldog seems oblivous that this has been an age old debate within Christianity.

Also, I'm just asking the rest of you...Am I being offensive towards Christians for believing that most of the bible shouldn't be taken literally?

I don't believe I am nor am I trying to.

I figured that was it.

However, as for the statement in bold, you do not need a thread for this. I understand where you are coming from. But people like Celldog will be this way about many more things. If we, all of us, kept this up, there would be a thread everyday: Does it bother you that I laughed when Joseph was through in the pit? ...etc, etc, etc!

:up:

As for the Rapture, I envision something akin to the Left Behind series. I do believe that saying the sinner's prayer and really meaning it is the only way to get to Heaven, though.

I don't believe that no Christian = Hell. Going by that logic, Ghandi is in Hell, Malclm X is in Hell, etc. I don't know. I mean, I think there's more to having a relationship with God than just praying a lot and going to Church. Actions speak louder than words. There are tons of people outside the Christian faith who have done many acts that God would want done (such as loving those that would be considered sinners and loving thy neighbor as they would themselves). I believe God forgives those who aren't Christian. In other words, I think you can be fulfilling your relationship without even knowing it.

For me, the greatest sin in life is taking the life God gave you and not living it to its fullest potential.

As for the rapture, I think it's going to be something other than Christians being sucked up out of nowhere. It's not going to be something immediately noticable.

Probably with a big glass of scotch...

This whole thread is hilarious.

People who don't know anything about the Bible telling Christians how they should live and think. This is truly embarassing. You're no better than the crazy fanatics in the churches and congregation. :)

People who don't know anything about the Bible telling Christians how they should live and think. This is truly embarassing. You're no better than the crazy fanatics in the churches and congregation. :)

We're not telling people what to believe or think. We're simply stating our beliefs and how we feel about The Bible.

Show me one post where someone TOLD someone else how said persons should live or think.

It's just going over your heads, isn't it? :dry:

We're not telling people what to believe or think. We're simply stating our beliefs and how we feel about The Bible.

Why? The Bible already tell us how people feel about the Bible, in the Bible--just read it for yourself. Or do you want me to lecture you like a school teacher?

I will, if I have to. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"