• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

How Do You Feel The Bible Should Be Taken?

It's just going over your heads, isn't it? :dry:

Why? The Bible already tell us how people feel about the Bible, in the Bible--just read it for yourself. Or do you want me to lecture you like a school teacher?

I will, if I have to. :yay:

That's one way to lose an argument.

Just keep your opinions to yourself. Don't go around pretending what you say is the truth, when you don't know anything, just like Wilhelm and Raybia. :dry:

As a Christian, I welcome all ideas, thoughts, theories, etc.

Someone's views will not change mine.

Edit: ..will not change mine, drastically.

Obviously, I wouldn't agree with the idea of no God. However, I have changed my "views," as of late, on many conservative points that were taught to me as a child. For example, I am a grown man; I like to have a beer and hotdog at baseball games. I will not let a preacher, church, group, etc tell me any different.

Jesus spoke in "grey areas."

Some people just can't be reasoned with.

Nice post, by the way! :up:

What are you trying to prove, Raybia?

I get your intial post; I read through this article; but I am confused at your purpose.

Does Jesus talk in riddles? Did man screw up translations? Is Satan really a fallen angel which created such massive force that he, himself, was and is the comet that is known as the big bang theory?

I figured that was it.

However, as for the statement in bold, you do not need a thread for this. I understand where you are coming from. But people like Celldog will be this way about many more things. If we, all of us, kept this up, there would be a thread everyday: Does it bother you that I laughed when Joseph was through in the pit? ...etc, etc, etc!

Just keep your opinions to yourself. Don't go around pretending what you say is the truth, when you don't know anything, just like Wilhelm and Raybia. :dry:

I did all the work for you. Please show me where I protested the "truth."

Obviously, we have different interpretations about how The Bible should make us feel. And I don't need to be lectured, because you're worse than raybia and on par with Wilhelm.

It's just going over your heads, isn't it? :dry:

Why? The Bible already tell us how people feel about the Bible, in the Bible--just read it for yourself. Or do you want me to lecture you like a school teacher?

I will, if I have to. :yay:

Hmmm...go ahead and lecture and tell me how the bible tells how people feel about the bible.

Worse than Raybia and on par with Wilhelm... hmm... I suppose so. :dry:

I just want the truth, not opinions. Give me the truth.

What is the truth on the Bible?

There's a reason they call faith faith OverMyHead. This is a matter of opinion just as there are Christian groups all around the country that have very different opinions on how to read and understand the bible. In my family alone there are Catholics, Methodists, fundamentalists etc. They all disagree on different parts and they all know their Bibles very well.

I personally believe in the fundamental message of the Bible. Its essence... that is the most important part of it, after all. It's the part that teaches you to live selflessly and peacefully, to forgive and to love. People mince words everywhere about that book when really it all just comes down to those simple things I just mentioned.

More ambiguity.

This entire site was founded on few facts and more opinions.

As for your question, if you are serious, rephrase and I will answer as best I can.

We don't really know, do we? It's impossible to answer. Sure, there's various websites offering evidence, some of which is convincing, but in the end it's down to faith.

Barbara is right. The fundamental messages are the most important parts, though the stories should not be disregarded, either.

If you can answer these questions correctly, my brother and sister, you know the truth. :yay:

What is salvation?

How does God save man (or woman, for that matter)?

Whom will God judge first, on the Judgement Day?

There's a reason they call faith faith OverMyHead. This is a matter of opinion just as there are Christian groups all around the country that have very different opinions on how to read and understand the bible. In my family alone there are Catholics, Methodists, fundamentalists etc. They all disagree on different parts and they all know their Bibles very well.

I personally believe in the fundamental message of the Bible. Its essence... that is the most important part of it, after all. It's the part that teaches you to live selflessly and peacefully, to forgive and to love. People mince words everywhere about that book when really it all just comes down to those simple things I just mentioned.

*sigh*

This is what happens when you obey the churches doctrines and become brainwashed by the congregations. You don't know the truth. Read the bible, for yourself, Babs. :dry:

If you can answer these questions correctly, my brother and sister, you know the truth. :yay:

What is salvation?

How does God save man (or woman, for that matter)?

Whom will God judge first, on the Judgement Day?

*sigh*

This is what happens when you obey the churches doctrines and become brainwashed by the congregations. You don't know the truth. Read the bible, for yourself, Babs. :dry:

I was going to answer until I saw you presume to undersand Babs' faith through one post.

Until you learn to comunicate properly, I refuse to speak with you.

OverMyHead, as long as everyone has different valid interpretations on The Bible, there's no real way of knowing The Truth.

I have nothing more to say.

Find the answer to my questions.

Or God willing (through the blessing of God) they will come to you. :)

Jesus made very specific demands on his followers and it's very clear when the scripture is an allegory or parable and when it's intended to be accepted as a historical account or a guide for daily living.

When it says we shouldn't eat rabbits, because they're unclean, because they chew their cud, it is not "symbolism". It's a Law.

When it says that a man who has sex with another man should be put to death, it is not an "allegory" trying to illustrate some vague truth. t was "God" saying "Homosexuality is an abomination, so much so that you should kill anyone who engages in it."

Most of the Parables start with Jesus telling a story almost like a joke, "There was a certain rich man.", "There were 2 brothers."

I don't see why there need be any confusion.....except for when Christians recoil at all the glaring sadism of "God", the blatantly false "science" and need a way to shut out the truth or have their cherished, and erroneous wolrd-view shattered.

:huh:

The thing is, what one person takes from any given passage in the bible isn't necessairily going to be what someone else takes from the same passage. And often times, neither person is necessairily wrong. There are more than a few parts of the bible that are vague, or could be taken more than one way. They grow in number due to the different translations of the bible, which sometimes yealds different meanings. One's view of what specific passages of the bible mean can also be effected by a greater understanding of the history behind the bible, which can give someone a different understanding of what it all means. So, I wouldn't exactly say it's clear. Hell, there are more books on interpreting the bible than the bible itself.

it should be taken as fiction
like wizard of oz or lord of the rings

There are way too many extremists on either end of the spectrum..those that hate religion and anything to do with it, and those that love it and let it dictate their entire being. Whatever happened to middle ground?

I dont like it how some people can literally view the Bible differently,like their own take on it.Its written,its that way..no other.

There are way too many extremists on either end of the spectrum..those that hate religion and anything to do with it, and those that love it and let it dictate their entire being. Whatever happened to middle ground?

we're the silent majority.

Best post of the day.

Obviously, we have different interpretations about how The Bible should make us feel. And I don't need to be lectured, because you're worse than raybia and on par with Wilhelm.

Since when did I become the measure of how bad someone is?

I dont like it how some people can literally view the Bible differently,like their own take on it.Its written,its that way..no other.

yeah but I interpret it as fiction
so people can interpret it differently

What I don't understand is how people can say "I believe that x amount of stuff written in the Bible actually happened." How can you pick and choose with the Bible? Either you think it all literally happened, or you can take it as a moral guide of sorts. If you look at it that way, then (like George Carlin said) you can find the same kind of moral guidance in books like The Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, etc,etc.

As Chris Rock said, the bible was written by man. We don't know what they included, what really happened, and what didn't. Man is interpreting what he believes God said to do. All you can do is live right, do unto others, etc. And I would hope even the people that don't believe in God at least try to be decent to others.

The Bible's a bit of a mess. It's got more than a few contradictions, vague passages, and different translations can bring new meanings. It's very much up to interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"