How Do You Feel The Bible Should Be Taken?

I'l come out and say I have a slight prejudice against atheists and the really skeptical agnostics,
That's what I thought and it's cool that you can see that and acknowledge it.
I wanted to point out that I say very mercilessly derogatory stuff about the Bible, and Christianity...about the concepts, and them being "preposterous", etc.

But I don't make it personal. I loved jonty, I love Darthphere, I love you, I loved tomahawk.....I don't say "Christianity is ****ing stupid, so if you believe it, YOU are ***ing stupid."
A million times I've said that my best friend is a Christian and he's the smartest guy I know.
Only 2 days ago, right here I was talking about how transparently bull**** Mormonism is, and yet I know several super-intelligent Mormons, who even know scientifically that it CAN'T be true.

Then I say, "I don't get it.".....and continue to be friends, and have really interesting and FUN debates with them.

But a lot of the Christians are so defensive about their beliefs, they have to make it personal.....and then they complain when an Athiest makes it personal and doesn't respect their beliefs.
It's stupid and I didn't want to see you start doing it.....writing me off as the terrible boogieman because I'm very vocal about the inumerable problems with the CONCEPT of Christianity.

I wanted to point out that I say very mercilessly derogatory stuff about the Bible, and Christianity...about the concepts, and them being "preposterous", etc.

But I don't make it personal. I loved jonty, I love Darthphere, I love you, I loved tomahawk.....I don't say "Christianity is ****ing stupid, so if you believe it, YOU are ***ing stupid."
A million times I've said that my best friend is a Christian and he's the smartest guy I know.
Only 2 days ago, right here I was talking about how transparently bull**** Mormonism is, and yet I know several super-intelligent Mormons, who even know scientifically that it CAN'T be true.

Then I say, "I don't get it.".....and continue to be friends, and have really interesting and FUN debates with them.

But a lot of the Christians are so defensive about their beliefs, they have to make it personal.....and then they complain when an Athiest makes it personal and doesn't respect their beliefs.
It's stupid and I didn't want to see you start doing it.....writing me off as the terrible boogieman because I'm very vocal about the inumerable problems with the CONCEPT of Christianity.

Great post Wilhelm. :up: Yeah, when I meet new people and make friends and stuff their religious background is probably the last thing I'm interested in.

The bible needs more mention of dragons and unicorns in it. What's in there now isn't nearly enough. :(

I'm glad we've reached an understanding. I try not to make it personal so long as they don't. I do go to a secular school where a broad range of religions are present, and two of my best friends are Pat Robertson-level Christians. This one atheist actually was partially the reason my favorite teacher quit, and it did have to do with her atheism, so that did raise old feelings up.

That being said, I'm learning not to make it personal. Many of my favorite people in show business are atheists, and frankly, some of the most interesting conversations I've had are with people of different faiths. In the end, I'm trying to make it a non-isue. The only person who I prefe to have the same beliefs as me is my wife, should that day arise.

SO what you're saying is, I should totally kill you then.
No. The change between the Old Testament and the New is valid. If anything, if I walk up to you and say, "Hey. Give me your damn jacket!", you should humbly give it to me and offer me your wallet as well.

When I bring up the horrors of the Old Testament, it isn't because I don't understand the radical change that supposedly occurred when the Son of God supposedly became our catchall sacrificial lamb.

I bring it up because, I don't think that's good enough. Most Christians do. *shrug*
Like, if a guy molests 900 kids, and then says, "Now, I don't have to molest kids anymore." and gives 900 other kids a new bike and some candy and pays for their college tuition.......I'm not going to say, "That Guy is the BEST!!!1! :wow:"

With a term as vague as "Born Again", it's sad that most Christians don't give it much thought, since Jesus said you "MUST" be Born Again, or you will not be saved.

There's a reason he characterized it as "taking up your cross" and "DYING to your old self".....because to really be a Born Again Christian, who is filled with the Holy Spirit and therefore saved.....there has to be a radical change in your entire life, according to Jesus anyway.

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus teach, "Yeah dudez...just, you know, try yer best, and, you know...be decent to one another. Nobody's perfect, so, you know, We're cool."

Well, you said it yourself. "Born Again" is a very vague term. And alot of people have different ideas as to what it means. Some see it as completely giving your life to the church. Others see it as improving one's self and becoming a better person.

i gotta crazy idea.

How about we wait and see what happens.

1. if the atheists are right, life will go on.
2. if the christians are right, everyone else is screwed.
3. if the muslims are right... good folks we're set!

I'm willing to bet with my life.

I choose the second one.

What about you? :cwink:

And you believe this will get you into heaven?

Why didn't you say so? You choose #3.

The bet is on, my brother. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"