Justice League How Man of Steel can spark other DC films

I would be OK with that. Or a consultant.

And obviously whenever I mention "Arkham" style, I don't necessarily mean the story of Arkham Asylum. That would be a bonus but as long as they keep that tone, I don't care what they do with the story..just make it good and original.

I do however think the story of AA would be a huge selling point and great introduction for fans into a new take on Batman. But if not, they'll have to sell the movie with a big villain I think. Not an obscure name like Black Mask or one of the monsters.

It's funny that you mention the Arkham style that most of us want.

I'd actually like to see Batman's origin told in a Year One type of universe, then show the progression that the crime has taken on into something closer to that living Arkham universe. It would give us a similar feel to MoS in which it's the real world that he lives in, then Zod gets there with JJ Abrams and friends and pushes it further. I want the reboot to follow the same suit with Batman.

As long as it begins with Bruce back in Gotham post-training. I also don't want to see him making his suit or getting the batmobile. No Lucius Fox.

So if it was kinda a Year-One I think they can go with Black Mask. Maybe even Penguin added to that. Show some freaky mob bosses instead of the classic Italian or Russian gangster.

Another main issue is that I want to see this Batman for the first time, and have him already met Joker, Harvey and Selina. I don't want to see those first encounters, or necessarily skip them (as in do a film then Batman's in JLA then the next time we see him it's years later and he's apparently met these rogues off-screen).

This is why I say do an Arkham: Origins style approach, where Batman is in Year Two (or three maybe) and he's met a few classic rogues. But he's meeting Black Mask/Riddler/Penguin or whatever combination, for the first time and through Sionis you get to see the odd quick flashback like they did in 89' or Forever. You know...the basics. Fear of bats/death of parents. I don't even mind showing a teenage Bruce at his parents gravesite and you see a young Roman Sionis watching him or something to that effect.

In many ways, Scott Snyder is the perfect Batman writer IMO. I'm not saying his stories are the best but what I mean by that is that he gets everyone right and manages to perfectly integrate all aspects of the Batman mythos in his stories. Regardless of what you like about Batman, that aspect is present in his stories (unless you're a fan of the Silver Age Batman). He manages to find a good balance from the tone to the balance between realism and fantasy to character portrayals to themes to everything else.

I'm going to have to disagree. Entirely. Ever since he got his hands on Batman (the title) everything he has done has been aping either Christopher Nolan (whose dialogue he's stolen several times) or rehashing Grant Morrison (The Court of Owls was near enough the same as Doctor Hurt and The Black Glove, but not as good).

I think considering the two are peers, it's only fair to compare Scott Snyder's Batman run to Grant Morrison. Everything from Scott Snyder's Batman #1 (vol. 2) is a poor rehash of Grant Morrison's work from Batman #655 (vol. 1)- Batman & Robin #16 (vol. 1). To begin, let's go over their big antagonists over these respective works, The Court of Owls and The Black Glove, respectively:

The Black Glove is an organisation that has ruined people all over the world for years, and is introduced as a faceless, mighty organisation. Then Batman enters their sights and they have been stalking him for years.The Black Glove make their attack on both Bruce and his allies and Bruce is left drugged and at their mercy for days. Bruce then discovers that the head of the Black Glove, is Thomas Wayne, an ancestor who worked at Willowood Asylum.

The Court of Owls is an organisation that has recruited people from all over Gotham for years, and is introduced as a faceless, mighty organisation. Then Batman enters their sights and they have been stalking him for years. The Court make their attack and Bruce is left drugged and at their mercy for days. Bruce then discovers that the head of the Black Glove, is Thomas Wayne, potentially his brother who was raised at Willowood Asylum.

Starting to see some similarities? Simon Hurt/Thomas Wayne was already a reintroduction of the Thomas Wayne of the 60's. However, instead of being Bruce's brother who was raised in Willowood, he was treated by Thomas Wayne (Bruce's father) and worked in Willowood. 2 years later Scott Snyder writes nearly the same story, but March is back to being a brother Bruce never noticed his mother being pregnant with.

As for integrating different eras of Batman, that's gone now, near enough. Scott Snyder has been given free reign over the Batman universe, hence his removal of Year One from continuity. However, Grant actually did incorporate every aspect of Batman's history into the character, even the Silver Age, where much of the storylines had been unretconned to have been hallucinations, either due to Fear Toxin, Joker Toxin, the isolation experiment or some other hallucinogen. He brought back Kathy Kane and Bette Kane as well as many other classic ideas of the character.

There is a modern retelling of the "Robin Dies At Dawn" story of Batman #156, as well as:

Batman #62
Batman #65
Detective #215
World's Finest #89
Detective #235
Detective #241
Batman #112
Batman #113
Detective #267
Batman #134
Batman #153

As well as bringing in pieces of the much maligned Batman: Year Two. He drew from all corners of the Batman mythology and made it all relevant.

The only thing I'd say they are equals on is their balance of realism to fantasy, though they each lean to one over the other.

I also love the fact that his stories have an epic-in-scale film feel to them as well as some philosophical themes and ideas that the Nolan films also had.

I just don't see it. Grant Morrison deals with archetypes, he turned Batman into King Arthur- through amassing his knights of the round table a theme later reinforced in Batman Inc, St. Michael in his battle against 5th world evil incarnate of Doctor Hurt, and St George when he was the archetypal man against the Dragon (Darkseid), he looked the dragon in the eye and says "Gotcha!"

I very much encourage you to read this blog on the matter:

http://rikdad.blogspot.co.uk/

However, my personal favorite thing about Snyder's run is how 1980's/TAS Batman it feels Batman's entire aura (specifically the detective side) and his language gives off a 1980's/early 90's/Batman TAS feel from Batman that I often don't see replicated in a lot of places. It's little things here and there like Batman saying "I deduced it" that give off that vibe. I absolutely love that. :woot:

I hated the 90's era Batman, or as he was dubbed on the DCO site the Bat-dick, or the Bat-jerk.

As for the detective side in Batman Incorporated #6, because Grant hadn't written anything with Gordon for a while, he introduced a plot involving the mob and the mayor trying to frame Gordon for murder of illegal immigrants, tracing back to their feud from RIP. Batman (Bruce), Batman (Dick) and Robin scour a landfill to find the body of the hitman hired. They find sections of his body and how the evidence of the bruising on the hand matches the callous on Jim's from his gun. As well as telling Jim how to find the rest of the body, to create a watertight case of defence.

All that was done in one page and 6 panels, including drafting Jim into Batman, Inc.

As much as I like the guy though, I was a bit dissapointed with the way he concluded Court of the Owls. I really wasn't fond of the Court of Owls being taken out that fast. I would have much preferred if they were still around for a bit longer or if it was revealed that the Court of Owls was just something that Thomas Wayne Jr./Lincoln made up just to screw with Bruce's mind.

Disappointed does not being to cover it. The Court worked much better as an actual nameless, faceless organisation without hierarchy. They should have been defeated, but not vanquished, an ever present threat that could have anyone at their head. But they had to reduce it to Batman v Anti-Batman, a story that has been told so many times it's become a parody of itself.

However, that did not turn me off from Snyder's run, especially since the second arc with the Joker was so well done IMO.

Even that arc was awful and filled with terrible character moments. Bruce's interaction with Dick early in the story honestly infuriated me, Alfred raised both of them, Alfred was the only person who stayed by Dick's side when everyone thought Bruce was dead. Alfred is as important to Dick as he is to Bruce.

I know this is extremely unlikely but I would love to see him write the Batman reboot.

He's done nothing of merit to deserve it. If anything he has done ever permeates to other writers, the way Grant Morrison, Denny O'Neil, even Judd Winick has, then he can start to be considered a good writer.

Until then he is a poor unoriginal writer. Having said that, I have high hopes for Zero Year.

I think it would be neat if Batman is already operating and he's using a full black costume, but he's a vigilante in Gotham. Much like at the conclusion of TDK, he's on the run. Taking inspiration from The New Frontier, however, he could change his costume to black and grey to both soften his image somewhat and imitate the contrasting color scheme of Superman, who is now trusted by the public after MOS2.

Ryan Reynolds could still work as Hal, though a new GL is likely in order after the disaster of that film. Though, it might work to establish RR's Hal in a JL film. Though I think no matter how you slice it... GL is a problem no matter who is playing him. Including switching to John Stewart. It wasn't Hal Jordan as such the critics panned, most of their ire seemed to be aimed at the very concept of the Green Lantern. All I know is, standing my son's 3.5 inch Man of Steel with the Dark Knight and Green Lantern looks pretty BA.

The Flash definitely shouldnt be powered before. He should get his after and because of Superman be all "I need to suit up and help people."

WW and Aquaman, diplomacy with humanity works as an angle. Not sure if both can do that though.

I think it would be neat if Batman is already operating and he's using a full black costume, but he's a vigilante in Gotham. Much like at the conclusion of TDK, he's on the run. Taking inspiration from The New Frontier, however, he could change his costume to black and grey to both soften his image somewhat and imitate the contrasting color scheme of Superman, who is now trusted by the public after MOS2.

Ryan Reynolds could still work as Hal, though a new GL is likely in order after the disaster of that film. Though, it might work to establish RR's Hal in a JL film. Though I think no matter how you slice it... GL is a problem no matter who is playing him. Including switching to John Stewart. It wasn't Hal Jordan as such the critics panned, most of their ire seemed to be aimed at the very concept of the Green Lantern. All I know is, standing my son's 3.5 inch Man of Steel with the Dark Knight and Green Lantern looks pretty BA.

The Flash definitely shouldnt be powered before. He should get his after and because of Superman be all "I need to suit up and help people."

WW and Aquaman, diplomacy with humanity works as an angle. Not sure if both can do that though.

What i quoted is wrong. People were willing to give an outlandish concept like Green Lantern a chance. It wasn't the concept that they didn't like, it was the execution. The bad reviews for Green Lantern weren't because of the concept. It was just a badly written movie and it looked cheap.

What i quoted is wrong. People were willing to give an outlandish concept like Green Lantern a chance. It wasn't the concept that they didn't like, it was the execution. The bad reviews for Green Lantern weren't because of the concept. It was just a badly written movie and it looked cheap.

A lot of reviewers mocked the veru concept of GL from the start. The crappy script didn't help, but the concept itself was a stretch for many.

So Goyer has talked about how the events of Man of Steel could be the sort of catalyst for other films leading up to the Justice League, so what are some ways each character could tie in?

I see the Kryptonian invasion as sort of a 9-11-type event in this universe, something that majorly effects the world from here on out, inspiring other super-powered people to become superheroes. It'd be cool to see the invasion in other films as it happens from other characters' perspectives. Some ideas (in a somewhat chronological order of how it could go down)...

The Flash - He could have already tapped into the Speed Force and acquired his powers, using them to help people in secret. He isn't inspired to suit up until the appearance of Superman.

Green Lantern - Perhaps they send Abin Sur to investigate after the invasion, or maybe Hal Jordan or John Stewart is already the Lantern of this sector, but has mostly been patrolling other planets.

Wonder Woman - Maybe the Amazons on Themyscira have kept hidden all this time, but once the invasion starts attracting other alien races and such, they realize it's time to send a warrior of their own to help defend the world from these new threats.

Aquaman - Similar to Themyscira, Aquaman could show up to help defend Atlantis from invasion.

Martian Manhunter - As in the animated series, he could come to Earth to warn the people about an incoming alien threat attracted by the recent invasion. He could be the one to wrangle the team together, the "Nick Fury" of this series.

Batman - Bruce Wayne could have already been operating as Batman in the shadows, maybe reluctant to identify himself as a "superhero" and get involved with the others once they go public. He's probably the last one to join the team. Perhaps Wayne Industries lends a hand to the city of Metropolis after all the destruction (teaming up with LexCorp?).

Other ideas?

I actually really like the idea of using Martian Manhunter as sort of the Nick Fury of creating the Justice League. I could see him popping up over and over again in the solo DC projects.

I think the smart way to do it though is always have him in human form and being sort of mysterious, and not until say Justice League 2 have him reveal himself as Martian Manhunter.

I think they shouldn't even drop easter eggs or hints at this mysterious figure being MM, just show him as a "normal" guy and then...BAM surprise us all with him being forced to reveal himself in JLA 2. It would be incredible to just shock the audience like that, so the audience would have the same reactions the leaguers have.

It's a possibility they are already doing this with the General Swanwick character. Many people suspected he'd be hinted at being MM in MoS but as we all know this was not the case, at least as far as we can tell.

Maybe DC really is playing us with that character, maybe he is MM afterall.

A lot of reviewers mocked the veru concept of GL from the start. The crappy script didn't help, but the concept itself was a stretch for many.

I'm a GL fan, probably my 4th favorite superhero overall, but even I think the premise of GL is pretty goofy, at least if you intend to "ground him in reality."

The second the GL movie started with the Geoffrey Rush voiceover I knew the movie was going to be terrible, not because of Geoffrey Rush (he's awesome), but because of what he had to say.

The whole GL powers being derived from the "green energy of will" just is so stupid on its' face that a movie can't work off of that. It's impossible to take seriously for anyone NOT a GL fanboy.

How does a ethereal pseudo-emotion like "willpower" have "energy" in the universe? Why would this energy be green? How would you harness this energy? It doesn't even pass the pseudo-scientific realism that DCU is going for. Green Lantern Corps backstory is going to have to be changed dramatically.

Possible solution:

The Guardians are still a billion-year old race, and they've just developed technology that relies on the thoughts of the wearer to make constructs. When a GL puts a ring on they should show a sort of electrical connection that happens with the wearers brain. This is similar enough to the GL mythology but ties somewhat in to tech we're developing in the real world now (like quadriplegics who are able to control robot hands and arms with just their mind).

I dunno, just throwing it out there, my overall point is they're going to have to drastically change the GL backstory for it to NOT be corny.

I actually really like the idea of using Martian Manhunter as sort of the Nick Fury of creating the Justice League. I could see him popping up over and over again in the solo DC projects.
I actually hate this idea. They need to stay away from the Nick fury type of character. JL shouldn't be put together by anyone other than Superman, Superman/Batman (only after a World's Finest) or the entire team together. Anything that resembles Avengers should be an idea that's shot down. Even in other mediums I just don't like MM forming the group.

I think the smart way to do it though is always have him in human form and being sort of mysterious, and not until say Justice League 2 have him reveal himself as Martian Manhunter.
THIS I agree with. But take the Fury part out of the equation.

I think they shouldn't even drop easter eggs or hints at this mysterious figure being MM, just show him as a "normal" guy and then...BAM surprise us all with him being forced to reveal himself in JLA 2. It would be incredible to just shock the audience like that, so the audience would have the same reactions the leaguers have.
Absolutely. Imagine the villains/aliens inside some enclosed space with this "human" looking guy who the audience (general audience anyway) thinks is in deep trouble cuz we've seen him a couple of times and think of him as normal. Then he does some REALLY freaky ****. A shapeshifting move and just quietly decimates the enemy. Maybe some of the league happen to witness it and are shocked as well. The reveal would be amazingly executed.

:up:

It's a possibility they are already doing this with the General Swanwick character. Many people suspected he'd be hinted at being MM in MoS but as we all know this was not the case, at least as far as we can tell.

Maybe DC really is playing us with that character, maybe he is MM afterall.
Im glad you brought that up. I thought I was the only one within the last week that was thinking that.

I think his reactions seem pretty genuine though. So he's probably nothing more than the General. But in my 2nd viewing I was reaaally thinking of him turning out to be Martian Manhunter. He's PERFECT for the role he's in, and I would lose my mind if he shapeshifted into an alien in some private area in MOS 2 (or JL) revealing his name as J'onn J'onzz.

Even if that wasn't the case when they wrote and filmed his character, somebody needs to bring that up to Goyer because he's a great acting choice for the role of MM.

I'm a GL fan, probably my 4th favorite superhero overall, but even I think the premise of GL is pretty goofy, at least if you intend to "ground him in reality."

The second the GL movie started with the Geoffrey Rush voiceover I knew the movie was going to be terrible, not because of Geoffrey Rush (he's awesome), but because of what he had to say.

The whole GL powers being derived from the "green energy of will" just is so stupid on its' face that a movie can't work off of that. It's impossible to take seriously for anyone NOT a GL fanboy.

How does a ethereal pseudo-emotion like "willpower" have "energy" in the universe? Why would this energy be green? How would you harness this energy? It doesn't even pass the pseudo-scientific realism that DCU is going for. Green Lantern Corps backstory is going to have to be changed dramatically.

Possible solution:

The Guardians are still a billion-year old race, and they've just developed technology that relies on the thoughts of the wearer to make constructs. When a GL puts a ring on they should show a sort of electrical connection that happens with the wearers brain. This is similar enough to the GL mythology but ties somewhat in to tech we're developing in the real world now (like quadriplegics who are able to control robot hands and arms with just their mind).

I dunno, just throwing it out there, my overall point is they're going to have to drastically change the GL backstory for it to NOT be corny.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Possible solution:

First Flight's take would work. Even with will energy, in comics it is tech AND will energy is the pre-existing Ion entity. I wish Oa had been far more metropolitan and less... stony and crystalline? It's an odd mix of mysticism and technology that could work.. it didn't need so much exposition. And Tomar-Re's voiceover would have worked had he been saying this to Hal at the Book of Oa instead of to us. Imagine if Star Wars started with a crawl telling you about the Force. Inherently less interesting if you know that before the hero. More interesting when you hear it for the first time with Luke. Should have been the same with Hal. I'd like to see a fan cut that attempts making that.

I could see a retcon that places GL shortly after MOS. Though you have the problem of "where was Superman" looming. But I know no one wants a GL bomb to be the psuedo start of a DCU on film. It could work. Reality as we know it is already broken by Superman and Zod. Way easier to embrace the Emerald Knight.

Is DC going to shy away from superhero names as titles? I dont think Scarlet Speedster would work. But then The Flash is awkward too.

Last edited:
I actually hate this idea. They need to stay away from the Nick fury type of character. JL shouldn't be put together by anyone other than Superman, Superman/Batman (only after a World's Finest) or the entire team together. Anything that resembles Avengers should be an idea that's shot down. Even in other mediums I just don't like MM forming the group.

Fair enough. I don't think I explained what I was getting at well. I was just using the Nick Fury idea as a light analogy to explain the idea of having MM be a recurring character in the DCU across all the solo films, like how Nick Fury is in most the Phase 1 films. I didn't mean to say I thought he should form the league, that was just a mistype.

But yeah MM as a recurring character that the audience can become attached to throughout the films (maybe a better analogy would be Coulson). I think Superman/Batman should be the founders of the Justice League as you said. And I think a JLA movie will only work if they do a World's Finest first, also as you said.

I really hope WB is listening to us fanboys on this one. I don't hear anyone of us clamoring for a rushed JLA movie, we all want them to be a little more patient and methodical. Not exactly following Marvel, but just planning things out a bit better. I just have an impossible time imagining how any writer/director team cold introduce so many major characters in a JLA film without audiences having some backstory. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

I feel like Flash, Wonder Woman, MoS 2, and World's Finest should all happen before JLA. And I think JLA can re-introduce GL (I personally want John Stewart but most fans disagree), and Aquaman and/or Cyborg.

First Flight's take would work. Even with will energy, in comics it is tech AND will energy is the pre-existing Ion entity. I wish Oa had been far more metropolitan and less... stony and crystalline? It's an odd mix of mysticism and technology that could work.. it didn't need so much exposition. And Tomar-Re's voiceover would have worked had he been saying this to Hal at the Book of Oa instead of to us. Imagine if Star Wars started with a crawl telling you about the Force. Inherently less interesting if you know that before the hero. More interesting when you hear it for the first time with Luke. Should have been the same with Hal. I'd like to see a fan cut that attempts making that.

I could see a retcon that places GL shortly after MOS. Though you have the problem of "where was Superman" looming. But I know no one wants a GL bomb to be the psuedo start of a DCU on film. It could work. Reality as we know it is already broken by Superman and Zod. Way easier to embrace the Emerald Knight.

Is DC going to shy away from superhero names as titles? I dont think Scarlet Speedster would work. But then The Flash is awkward too.

I like your analogy with "the force" in Star Wars. Maybe the best way for them to go is to not even attempt to explain where the GL powers come from. Maybe they just say it's a "mythical energy/force" that the Guardians give to their lanterns. I guess that take could sort of make the Guardians more mysterious and "godly."

One problem I've had with the GL mythos (or certain takes on the mythology) is that I don't like that the Guardians are given personalities in a way. I feel like they should be shown as being so advanced and beyond our capabilities that's it's really hard to understand them and their motivations.

In a future movie it may be best to never even show them, or only give the audience glimpses of them. Or have an intermediary between the GL Corps members and the Guardian Council so even the Green Lanterns don't really understand them or ever speak to them.

I think that could go a long way in establishing a certain mood, a mood that the universe is still so mysterious despite having all these sci-fi elements in a story.

Maybe part of the Green Lantern movie's failure is that it tried too hard to explain everything.

One of the GL2011's biggest problems is that it didn't take the time to complete step 1: showing people why his superpower is awesome. Without that, you might as well just stop the movie.

They actually started the movie with a GL's powers failing.... :(

Should NOT have started with Abin Sur getting trashed by Kronallax.

Possible solution:

Haven't you wondered why we used the word "willpower" or why Friedrick Nietzche theorized the topic of "will to power" and how it was the instinct for growth and durability (something only meant for gods but man somehow has harnessed it to defy them)? Even Nietzche admitted that will is power. In the DC universe, the Guardians seem to have harnessed that power. It's as simple as that and it doesn't seem silly to me.

Haven't you wondered why we used the word "willpower" or why Friedrick Nietzche theorized the topic of "will to power" and how it was the instinct for growth and durability (something only meant for gods but man somehow has harnessed it to defy them)? Even Nietzche admitted that will is power. In the DC universe, the Guardians seem to have harnessed that power. It's as simple as that and it doesn't seem silly to me.

I think what it comes down to is how that translates to the general audience. I'm actually leaning towards the "don't explain" side. It worked for the Joker in TDK, it worked for Star Wars (until Episode One). I feel like the mystery will draw more people in.

I like to imagine what could have been going on off-screen during the events of the Kryptonian invasion.

My favorite idea so far has surround the GL Corps. The Guardians were probably watching the Kryptonian prisoners since their reappearance into "reality" after Krypton's destruction. Once they realized what they were planning, the Guardians could have sent the closest Lantern (Abin Sur) to observe and possibly interfere with what Zod's crew was doing on Earth. In the crossfire (or on Zod's way to Earth's orbit), he could have been murdered and thus the ring went to the nearest planet to find the new Lantern.

And since the Air Force was primarily doing the fighting during the invasion, Hal could have been part of that and through it selected to bear the ring.

In other places, both the Atlanteans and Amazons probably got involved in defending their respective homes from Kryptonian invaders. That means, Diana probably made first contact with Man's World and Aquaman at least surfaced once or twice. Maybe Steve Trevor was also handling some Air Force missions during the fighting and crashed on the island as a result.

Then, after the events, the world's scientists would have undoubtedly sought out remaining Kryptonian technology to study. Those materials might have been passed around enough to land in the hands of Central City's scientific community. And since they would need a lot of help to analyze the stuff, the police forensics scientists could be included meaning Barry could gain his powers through either Kryptonian tech or chemicals (if they want to use the lightning thing).

Last, but definitely not least, Brainiac could be attracted to the Earth after hearing that Kryptonians have reemerged on the backwater planet despite their own being blown up long ago. If he's on his "collect all knowledge in the universe and digitize it" mission, he would need Kryptonian data and would set course for Earth immediately. All full scale invasion to search for any remnant would be a big enough threat for 5-7 heroes to rise up.

Possible solution:

Aliens in general are pretty goofy. Not to mention the forming and reforming metal drone thing in MOS that Jor El used to talk to Lara in the beginning? That is no more whacky than the power ring constructs.

I think the JL can afford one "out there" character that doesn't conform to super reality in the way that Superman and presumably Batman will. If Supes, Bats, Wondy, and Flash are all believable enough, having one fictional wild card will not throw everything out of whack if it's kept under control.

Fair enough. I don't think I explained what I was getting at well. I was just using the Nick Fury idea as a light analogy to explain the idea of having MM be a recurring character in the DCU across all the solo films, like how Nick Fury is in most the Phase 1 films. I didn't mean to say I thought he should form the league, that was just a mistype.

But yeah MM as a recurring character that the audience can become attached to throughout the films (maybe a better analogy would be Coulson). I think Superman/Batman should be the founders of the Justice League as you said. And I think a JLA movie will only work if they do a World's Finest first, also as you said.

I really hope WB is listening to us fanboys on this one. I don't hear anyone of us clamoring for a rushed JLA movie, we all want them to be a little more patient and methodical. Not exactly following Marvel, but just planning things out a bit better. I just have an impossible time imagining how any writer/director team cold introduce so many major characters in a JLA film without audiences having some backstory. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

I feel like Flash, Wonder Woman, MoS 2, and World's Finest should all happen before JLA. And I think JLA can re-introduce GL (I personally want John Stewart but most fans disagree), and Aquaman and/or Cyborg.

I don't think the JL needs any kind of Nick Fury type character. I think a more natural formation that comes out of "enemy of my enemy" will do well enough. Maybe they don't even need to make it official at the end of the first movie. They can go their separate ways but make comments that they worked well together and when an even BIGGER threat comes along, they are quick to jump right back in with the confidence that was built between their working relationships from the first team up.

Another thing, your comment about WF needing to happen before JL is nonsense. I know very few people are going to like what I'm about to say, but I'm starting to think WF would be a waste of time.

1) The whole point of having solo build-up movies before the team up is to introduce the audience to the lesser known characters and cut down on the time needed to tell their origins in the JL film itself. Superman just had his origin story and every knows Batman's by now. It would do NOTHING for the characters that need build up the most which are Wonder Woman and Flash.

2) The whole draw of JL is to see these iconic characters side by side for the first time. If they already let the cat out of the bag with Superman and Batman teamed up, the excitement will already have wavered when JL comes around. Sure, people might want to see it again but the novelty would be completely gone.

If you really want true build up to JL, a Wonder Woman movie followed by a Flash movie followed by a Man of Steel sequel to rekindle excitement for Cavill's Superman movie would do the job. More or less in that order. If that's too much, a Trinity movie could be substituted for WW and MOS 2 because it would take care of introducing Wonder Woman and would bring Cavill back into the mix. They'd just need the Flash movie and everything would be golden.

MOS to WF to Justice League will only prolong the process for no reason and nothing would really be solved other than a few fans being satisfied. For the sake of the big picture, I would not suggest WB go with that plan.

I like to imagine what could have been going on off-screen during the events of the Kryptonian invasion.

My favorite idea so far has surround the GL Corps. The Guardians were probably watching the Kryptonian prisoners since their reappearance into "reality" after Krypton's destruction. Once they realized what they were planning, the Guardians could have sent the closest Lantern (Abin Sur) to observe and possibly interfere with what Zod's crew was doing on Earth. In the crossfire (or on Zod's way to Earth's orbit), he could have been murdered and thus the ring went to the nearest planet to find the new Lantern.

And since the Air Force was primarily doing the fighting during the invasion, Hal could have been part of that and through it selected to bear the ring.

In other places, both the Atlanteans and Amazons probably got involved in defending their respective homes from Kryptonian invaders. That means, Diana probably made first contact with Man's World and Aquaman at least surfaced once or twice. Maybe Steve Trevor was also handling some Air Force missions during the fighting and crashed on the island as a result.

Then, after the events, the world's scientists would have undoubtedly sought out remaining Kryptonian technology to study. Those materials might have been passed around enough to land in the hands of Central City's scientific community. And since they would need a lot of help to analyze the stuff, the police forensics scientists could be included meaning Barry could gain his powers through either Kryptonian tech or chemicals (if they want to use the lightning thing).
When I first saw MoS, I thought that Hardy's copilot could have been Hal. They gave him a mundane line and had him right in the middle of the action. Then Faora killed him...

Another thing, your comment about WF needing to happen before JL is nonsense. I know very few people are going to like what I'm about to say, but I'm starting to think WF would be a waste of time.

1) The whole point of having solo build-up movies before the team up is to introduce the audience to the lesser known characters and cut down on the time needed to tell their origins in the JL film itself. Superman just had his origin story and every knows Batman's by now. It would do NOTHING for the characters that need build up the most which are Wonder Woman and Flash.

2) The whole draw of JL is to see these iconic characters side by side for the first time. If they already let the cat out of the bag with Superman and Batman teamed up, the excitement will already have wavered when JL comes around. Sure, people might want to see it again but the novelty would be completely gone.

If you really want true build up to JL, a Wonder Woman movie followed by a Flash movie followed by a Man of Steel sequel to rekindle excitement for Cavill's Superman movie would do the job. More or less in that order. If that's too much, a Trinity movie could be substituted for WW and MOS 2 because it would take care of introducing Wonder Woman and would bring Cavill back into the mix. They'd just need the Flash movie and everything would be golden.

MOS to WF to Justice League will only prolong the process for no reason and nothing would really be solved other than a few fans being satisfied. For the sake of the big picture, I would not suggest WB go with that plan.
tumblr_lq5mxuFBzR1qm6s2g.gif

I just personally want to see an entirely movie dedicated to Bruce/Clark because I think there's a great story potential there.

But yes, it would take away some of the excitement of JL

I just personally want to see an entirely movie dedicated to Bruce/Clark because I think there's a great story potential there.

But yes, it would take away some of the excitement of JL

That's very true but the issue I take with people saying that WF is necessary for JL to be successful is the fact that it doesn't accomplish anything to build towards the team-up other than establish that Batman exists. That hint has already been dropped... we need to see something from the others.

That's very true but the issue I take with people saying that WF is necessary for JL to be successful is the fact that it doesn't accomplish anything to build towards the team-up other than establish that Batman exists. That hint has already been dropped... we need to see something from the others.

I think it perfectly sets up JLA.

At the end of World's Finest have Supes and Bats discussing putting a team together to face some (as of yet unknown) threat, maybe Darkseid.

Also, in terms of business sense, I think WF followed by JLA makes great sense for Warners because WF is an instant $1.5 billion movie (at minimum). I don't think buzz would die down with JLA because Supes and Bats would still have to teamup with WW, Flash, GL, etc...

And as someone said above, I think it's important to establish the rapport and relationship between Clark and Bruce. Not only is it one of the most interesting "friendships" in comics, just giving those two space in their own movies allows for more character development in JLA.

And I guess there's the argument that sequels usually do better than the first at the box office. (in this case JL would be the 'sequel' to WF, or the second time we see Bats/Supes. So perhaps WF will elevate JL's box office numbers, not lower them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"