How much do you need your privacy?

Ultimatehero

Life is infinite
Reaction score
I'm guessing everyone's different. Some people tweet about what they're doing at every hour of the day. Some can tell their best of friends and family (not extended) recent developments in their life yet not others. Some keep it all guarded.

I personally like keeping everything close to the chest. I tell my friends the important developments, yet not the others. I keep things secret from my parents for some reason, including possible relationships, because I'm not really into others prying for more information. I can't really tell other people in my life and keep nearly everything from them lol. Heading into the film industry, a key importance for me is to keep everything in my life top secret. I'll talk about the film, but nothing else. I consider all of that private. Ironically I can say a lot more online, but it's not connected to me.

So, what's your deal?

I keep everything in my journal, with a special heart lock and key.

I feel your question is an attempt to invade my privacy!

:hehe:

I greatly value my privacy. I really cannot wrap my head around those types of people who feel the need to live online or tell the world about every single thing they're doing at all times.

Privacy is dead. Sorry, had to say it.

I'm not a particularly private person in terms of secrets I guess.

I don't have much that is a secret from everyone, if anything. There is usually someone I can share it with. I am ashamed of not a single thought that occurs in my head, because I know that I am not all that special and that someone's bound to have thought it before me.

In fact, I feel like sometimes I share too much of myself too openly. But honestly it's a habit I picked up working as a barmaid and having to fill hours of conversation with boring people - I had to talk about myself.

I don't go posting my every thought online though. And man I hate people who argue with their spouses on there facebook, especially if it's over kids. Makes me sick.

Also, while I might be an open book in general, I really value my personal space, which I suppose is a form of privacy.

I live alone and I like it that way. I've tried living with other people, but I hate having my privacy constantly invaded in that sense.

Privacy is very important to me. And Twitter is for celebrities and reading what said celebrities post. If you're a common uninteresting civilian posting your day to day doings on Twitter, kill yourself.

I'm guessing everyone's different. Some people tweet about what they're doing at every hour of the day. Some can tell their best of friends and family (not extended) recent developments in their life yet not others. Some keep it all guarded.

I personally like keeping everything close to the chest. I tell my friends the important developments, yet not the others. I keep things secret from my parents for some reason, including possible relationships, because I'm not really into others prying for more information. I can't really tell other people in my life and keep nearly everything from them lol. Heading into the film industry, a key importance for me is to keep everything in my life top secret. I'll talk about the film, but nothing else. I consider all of that private. Ironically I can say a lot more online, but it's not connected to me.

So, what's your deal?

I'm intensely private. I don't tell anyone anything.

Pretty much what hopefuldreamer said goes for me too, only I don't share too much with too many people. I've been prone to spilling a lot of information too easily in the past, though. I don't like people invading my privacy or getting too deep into my head.

Privacy is sort of an illusion. Every click you make is stored somewhere as a cookie for advertisers to send you relevant ads. Google and Youtube want your phone number, they claim for lost or stolen passwords, but if they have your number, they now know your full name and potentially exactly where you live.

If you have a smart phone, some app is tracking where you tweet from, where you FB people, and there is now new tech that can make a geographical profile of where you visit, how you get there. If you use a credit card, there is a way to track where you most frequently shop and your shopping habits. Does John Doe eat out alot? If so, does that mean he is stressed? Algorithms are looking for patterns of behavior...so yes , through all this data, big brother is also developing a psychological profile of you. Homeland security may even have a file on you if you show 'activist' traits like opening a bake sale to support the troops or signed a petition supporting/banning some political policy.

You may think a lot of that information is useless for them, but trust me, if they need to find you, or research something you did, it's all readily available.

So yes, people too readily, and unknowingly reveal too much about themselves, and yes, privacy is dead.

I place a huge value upon my privacy.

I deleted my Facebook account about a year of so ago. Hardly ever used it anyway. Have never Tweeted. In all honesty, I don't see the point of social networking.

Perhaps that is because I am not comfortable with the spotlight being on me, nor do I actually have that much going on in my life that requires it to be reported to the rest of the World at large. Nor do I really want all and sundry trying to get inside my life that much anyway.

My day consists of pretty much the following;
Get up, go to gym, go to work, go to gym, go home, watch some telly or read a book, go to bed. Not exactly anything much happening there!

I live with my best mate of 33 years (birth pretty much) and he knows more about me than my parents or any woman will ever know.

Trust is a huge thing in my book.

I greatly value my privacy. I really cannot wrap my head around those types of people who feel the need to live online or tell the world about every single thing they're doing at all times.

Yup,same here!

Overall, I'm not a particularly private person, but I don't go around telling everybody my business either. If I feel like sharing, I'll share; if not, I won't. But no matter what, I can't stand it when someone is on my phone/FB/twitter and starts going through my information/messages without my permission. That's just rude.

I'm not really a private person. I don't have much to hide. I do like time by myself sometimes. I do need ''me time''.

I'd like to think of myself as an open book at times because there isn't much that I would try to keep secret when I'm talking to someone. Although I would stay more private about things like relationships, especially with my family because they have a history of meddling in my business.

But in terms of social media, I don't post too many pictures of myself, but rather of my art, and I don't constantly update my status to let people know what I'm doing, but rather to post inspirational quotes and stuff. In that sense, I just don't feel like everything needs to be shared.

But I agree with Lunar, I also need some "me" time every now and then where I just don't want to be bothered by others.

A year ago, I valued privacy above almost anything. Now? If it's something that I feel is my own business, don't have any secrets. There are things that I keep private because they could affect other people, but I mean seriously, a lot of the folks on the Hype know some of the most personal things in my life. I just make a point of living a life that doesn't require hiding anything. I don't tell everyone about it on facebook or twitter or anything, but if someone asks or it comes up somehow, I don't mind sharing. We all have secrets, the ones we keep, and the ones kept from us. That doesn't really apply to what I was saying, I just wanted to quote TASM. :woot:

EDIT: Just realized someone randomly bumped this thread... Oh well.

Last edited:
Overall, I'm not a particularly private person, but I don't go around telling everybody my business either. If I feel like sharing, I'll share; if not, I won't. But no matter what, I can't stand it when someone is on my phone/FB/twitter and starts going through my information/messages without my permission. That's just rude.

I know this is from over a year ago, but oh my god, this this this. Exactly what I was about to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"