How should Thor be handled in a movie?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
How should Thor be handled in a movie? Should he have his Ultimate or 616 costume? Should people just accept he is a god like in the 616 universe or assume he is crazy like in the Ultimate Universe?

THere are threads on this. I hate the "Ultimate" version big time. I want a god who is proud of his Asgardian heritage & says "Have at thee!" right before he pounds a foe into jelly. I do not want a drunken, (presumed) delusional hippie with a torso lite-brite.

I like the way they handled Ultimate Thor. but what I like about it is really how people react to him more than the character himself.

Costume- current Thor costume. An updated classic.

Story- closer to 616 for sure. The first movie should take place in ancient times and probably should end with Ragnarok. HE comes to the 21st Century much like currently in the comics over the midwest

Avengers dynamic- Ultimate verse. Everyone just thinks he's crazy and that he really isnt a god.

I think his movie should be in Asgard.
I think at first people don't believe Thor's a god, but then Odin gets involved (especially if Loki's in the Avengers) & they believe him.

THere are threads on this. I hate the "Ultimate" version big time. I want a god who is proud of his Asgardian heritage & says "Have at thee!" right before he pounds a foe into jelly. I do not want a drunken, (presumed) delusional hippie with a torso lite-brite.

Well can you direct me towards one?

Here's my problem with 616 Thor, why does everyone just accept he is a Norse god? Shouldn't a lot of religious people find that offensive in MU?

^ It seems that he isn't just going to become known the world like how Stark held a press conference. Will their be a formal introduction of each character to the masses??? Or will the Avengers just start doing their thing, and the public slowly becomes aware of these heros operating out there???

And I have always taken it that the Marvel gods where never supposed to be depicted as the embodiment or creators of natural forces like they are in the actual mythos (Like Apollo really rides a flaming chariot across the sky, and Thor really being the creator the weather systems)... They are just super-natural beings with the power to control these forces (Thor can manipulate weather, but it is still a naturally occuring phenomenon)...

So, play down any pagan ideas around Thor, and play up the extra-dimensional being aspect.

Last edited:
Well Thor is a tricky character to bring to the silver screen

^ agreed... Do we want Thor to be an otherworldy Fantasy Adventure??? A Heroic Worlds Collide epic, a Sci-Fi Action flick???

^ It seems that he isn't just going to become known the world like how Stark held a press conference. Will their be a formal introduction of each character to the masses??? Or will the Avengers just start doing their thing, and the public slowly becomes aware of these heros operating out there???

And I have always taken it that the Marvel gods where never supposed to be dipicted as the embodiment or creators of natural forces like they are in the actual mythos (Like Hermes really rides a flaming chariot across the sky, and Thor really being the creator the weather systems)... They are just super-natural beings with the power to control these forces (Thor can manipulate weather, but it is still a naturally occuring phenomenon)...

So, play down any pagan ideas around Thor, and play up the extra-dimensional being aspect.

I like that and it would make sense that more primitive humans would worship these superpowered beings because of what they could do

^ agreed... Do we want Thor to be an otherworldy Fantasy Adventure??? A Heroic Worlds Collide epic, a Sci-Fi Action flick???
Honestly, I think we are going to get a piece of all three.... not saying that's the route I would take; but, I can see Marvel going that route because of the complexity of the character origin and being.

616 babe, all the way. I'm thinking the movie end with~"A lesion in H-U-M-I-L-I-T-Y~ a certain cane in a cave~ Dr. Donald Blake's name being called over a hospitals intercom system. P-E-R-F-E-C-T

Well can you direct me towards one?

Here's my problem with 616 Thor, why does everyone just accept he is a Norse god? Shouldn't a lot of religious people find that offensive in MU?
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=313015
And as I recall, the authenticity of Thor's claims of divine heritage has been repeatedly called into question. Even among his own teammates. I remember reading stories in which *****ebag-I mean, Iron Man just flat out didn't buy it. Many have questioned the existence of Asgard itself, & I recall a theory being bandied about that Thor & Co. were aliens. And think about it-if you believed you were talking to a god, would you be so quick to give him orders as so many people he's come in contact with do?

Is Iron Man a *****ebag because he doesn't believe Thor or because....he's a *****ebag?

No, he's just a *****ebag.

I think they need to play up both sides of Thor - him in Asgard and Donald Blake. I think this is especially important if they're going to fuse him into the Avengers universe, Iron Man, Hulk, Cap can all be shoved in together easily enough, but having a Thor movie based around Asgard is going to be very difficult to integrate.

If I were writing a Thor script, I'd start it in the Asgardian realm, maybe kick off somewhere wicked like Niffelheim for a massive opening battle scene. Whilst Thor is battling frost giants or some such, there can be cutaways to Loki manipulating Heimdall into allowing his crossing of the Bifrost Bridge to Midgard (strictly not correct, but why not set it up where the crossing into Earth is forbidden?) By battle's end (obviously with some awesome shot of Thor standing atop several fallen giants) he returns to Asgard, cocky as hell, dragging the corpse of a 30 foot frost giant in his wake. He dumps said corpse at the feet of Odin who berates him for senseless murder, yadda yadda. Maybe the frost giant is important in some way or form and Thor was too blinded by his ideas of conquering the giants to notice.

So from here, Thor is fused with Donald Blake. Cut to 'paging Donald Blake' or whatever, show the state he's in, establish his character, the cane, etc. Meanwhile strange events are happening as the president vetoes legislation like crazy, as buildings are inexplicably demolished, Condeeleza Rice is declothed during a press conference, etc...various acts of suspiciously relevant mischief. Lead Donald Blake to the cane, lead to the release of Thor, see him track down Loki, but he has returned to Niffleheim. Meanwhile, the frost giants rally to invade Asgard at Loki's doing. Have Blake coming to terms with embodying the god of thunder whilst something sketchy is going on back at the hospital.

For the Third Act, the Frost Giants attack Asgard whilst Loki returns to Earth to cause his biggest act of mischief yet...it's Hollywood right? So it's most likely going to be altered by studio execs to become a nuclear threat, but take it what you will. Now Donald Blake is torn by the patient he's having trouble with, his own love life, and the god within who's the only one who can stop Loki's magic on Earth and needs to return to Asgard to defend it. Here, Blake resigns defeat, slams the cane and Thor departs to battle Loki...cue massive battle scene on Earth, with shots like Thor's hammer driving Loki through the empire state, etc. Cut between this battle to the gods battling the Frost Giants, meanwhile Blake's patient dies, his love interest leaves and so on. Thor eventually defeats Loki and drags him to Asgard which is in ruins, only a few of the gods left standing: Baldur, the Warriors Three, whoever else fits the bill. In one last weary attack Thor and the gods defeat the Frost Giants. Loki is thrust into the hands of Odin who does what he does best; creative punishments for his sons. Thor, jaded by Odin's decision to keep Loki in Asgard as a god on strict conditions, returns to Earth where he returns to the Donald Blake persona who wearily falls fast asleep in his apartment. Fade to black.

Open shortly after to Blake's apartment, two legs kick strewn clothes and garbage out of the way as they shuffle towards Blake's bed. Camera pans up to Nick Fury, Tony Stark and Steve Rogers.

Fury: ...so they call you the god of the thunder?

Is Iron Man a *****ebag because he doesn't believe Thor or because....he's a *****ebag?

Because he's a *****ebag.
civilwar.jpg

svCAPTAIN_narrowweb__300x3780.jpg

0CAPA035.jpg

And everything in-between.

I have made several separate posts on what could be a good approach for Thor... I will endeavor to compile them into a comprehensive concept, and see if it works (this is gonna be long):

The movie opens showing the formation of the cosmic egg. We see stars and galaxies all collapsing into the center of the universe (and glowing mass). Eventually it is totally dark except for a single pin of light... then BOOM, the big bang occurs. We see a ripple of matter and energy turn into some kind of turbulence hurling through space (this spins and morphs and esentially becomes a pocket dimension, known as Asgard). We move inside and we see a huge battle going on. Thor has incited the conflict, and though he and other gods defeat the Frost Giants Odin is mad because the battle nearly brought about ragnorak (it has happenned before, and all of Asgard was destroyed, needing to be reformed over eons).

Thor is essentially banished to Earth to learn about mortality and loss, and comes to reside in the body of a deceased Dr. Blake (ala Heaven Can Wait, where Warren Beatty's character is put into the body of another person at the precise moment that person dies). There is a scene where we get a first person view for the movie-goer, soaring over the sea and land closing in on Earth. We slowly decrease in altitude, so that we can start to hear the ambient noise of the city below... the sounds of sirens begin to become noticeable... We get very close to ground-level and see firemen trying to get someone out a twisted car-wreck, he checks for vitals, and says, "He's gone"...

Then with a gasp, the guy sits up sharply... the scene cuts away and fades in to a hostpital room. The guy (we discover is Dr. Blake) is having trouble remembering what's happenning, and the movie moves forward with the Blake character re-adjusting after the accident and getting back into the swing of being a doctor. Everyday that he faces a medical situation is like a new revelation to him (of challenge, and drama, instensity, and a lesson in the human condition)... He is slowly able to settle into a life as a doctor, by way of recovering Blake's doctor knowledge... he still doesn't realize that he is Thor, and he does not realize that these are Blake's memories (ala RoboCop... seeing images from Peter Weller's cop character's life).

Interspersed are scenes where Thor / Blake wakes up in cold sweats, from very vivid dreams of battle scenarios and Asgardian monsters. Loki comes a calling on Earth, to get revenge against Thor. He tracks him to Blake... and bit of a psycological thriller ensues. Eventually Thor has total recal and discovers that he is Thor within the body of a fallen Dr. Blake, sharing his memories. We find out that Loki came to Midgard by making a deal with the Enchantress... creating an additional plot device for the introduction of her as a villain in a future film, or even in a component of the Thor movie...

As Loki hounds Thor (he wants him to remember who he is, to make his revenge sweet), Thor realizes the cane that he has been using from the car accident injury is Mjolinir, and voila... The battle ensues trashing Blake's home setting it ablaze. (Loki heads out of there, and Thor pauses for a moment to regard Blake's body, which has been vacated... lying on the floor as the flames grow in the house. Tor is somber for moment, and says something to the effect that though he knows that Blake's consciousness has long-ago flown from this mortal shell, he wants to thank Blake for all that he did in life. His good works and commitment to helping others has shown him the way to true honor and nobility. He bows and flys out... The idea is the loose end in tied up with Blake being romoved from the picture... it would be reported that he died in the fire).

As the fighting goes on (out over a body of water... perhaps a Lake, so people see something going on, but it is too far away... lighting and storm clouds crashing and swirling... Loki summons some Frost giants through a portal and the water touching the portal freezes creating and ice island for the battle)... Then there is a sequence where Loki mentions to Thor "I know you can feel the very life-force of the this world flowing all around you. Brother, you are made of Midgard... it is were you belong... That is why our Father sent you here really. Let us not squabble... Together we could rule this realm beyond even as the gods did long ago... You can be as Odin here. Thor, hesitates to ponder that he is born of Midgard (Gaea being his mother and all), and he feels the forces that Loki speaks of. But he no longer craves power the way that Loki does. He state that his time on Midgard has shown him the real value of existance in this universe... he expresses that he has learned about helping others, and protecting those in need... Back to figting action.

Of course Thor wins... and Loki is sucked back to Asgard. Thor flies off to a cave somewhere to meditate and commune with Odin. He explains to Odin about his redemption and the possibility of returning to Asgard... Then Odin informs him of other recent events on Midgard, and the need for a protector... Odins tells Thor that he has a new calling to serve the mortals. He does as instructed, and stays in Midgard...

Now... All the conflict, and trans-dimensional energy, sets off SHIELD sensors and IM is sent to investigate. Thor hears something and looks up... He sees and object zoom in from overhead and land nearby. He walks to the top of a nearby hilltop to get a better look. An armored figure looks up at him, and Thor says "What is your purpose?". The close of IM2 has the same scene, but from IM's perspective... (or Coulson shows Fury some photos of the conflict, and satellite images to track THor to the cave... Fury says contact Stark to go check it out... then the hilltop scene).

Later in the Avengers film, there is a scene where Cap saves the day by wieilding Mjolinir (I prefer the idea of Cap using it, after Thor is knocked aside, to crush the Cosmic Cube). Thor determines that the universe has revealed to him the most noble and pure-hearted warrior... and he commits to fighting by his side for all time.

Last edited:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=313015
And as I recall, the authenticity of Thor's claims of divine heritage has been repeatedly called into question. Even among his own teammates. I remember reading stories in which *****ebag-I mean, Iron Man just flat out didn't buy it. Many have questioned the existence of Asgard itself, & I recall a theory being bandied about that Thor & Co. were aliens. And think about it-if you believed you were talking to a god, would you be so quick to give him orders as so many people he's come in contact with do?

But wouldn't it be more natural that most people would think Thor is crazy, if he claimed to be a god, instead of just doubting his claim?

In a universe full of superheros, one might just think that he took a bath in toxic waste or ate 10 pounds of uranium to get his powers... and went batty in the process...

I say the 616 Thor with the Ages of Thunder costume in most of the viking era and the new costume in the present.

But wouldn't it be more natural that most people would think Thor is crazy, if he claimed to be a god, instead of just doubting his claim?

Okay-it's not people's reaction to Thor that I have a problem with; (in "Ultimate" continuity.) it's his personality. He doesn't carry himself like a prince or a god. He comes off like a damn hippie. The techno-belt makes no sense if he's a god, & too many other elements support the idea that he's just delusional. When the Ultimates took him down by stripping his belt, I believed he was just a nut with gadgets. That's not how Thor should be presented, ever. And as for people thinking he's crazy vs. doubting his claims, then much like what people say about Jesus, your options are lord, liar or lunatic. If you don't think he's a god, then you must think he's crazy-either that or you just think he's full of dung.
Bottom like-this is Thor.
thor-turner.jpg
Thor01CvrTurner.jpg

This is not.
ultimate_thor.jpg

I say the 616 Thor with the Ages of Thunder costume in most of the viking era and the new costume in the present.

Here's a question......... With or WithOut the Cape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"