Thor is Nuts Sub-plot?

Ragnarocker

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought. It does sound like the movie will likely start in asgard and have thor thrown out like the classic story. But, what would you think if it were to follow the ultimates style origin?

I just loved reading Ultimates and the entire sub-plot revolving around whether Thor was actually a god or just a guy who has gone nuts. For those of you not familiar the general story suggested that Thor was actually just the product of Norway's equivalent to Captain America. They said his flight was generated by the vest and his ability to call lightning was built into the hammer. This ended up being wrong but it made for some great thought invoking. There were times when he would be talking to somebody else from asgard, but to anybody else in the room it would look like he was talking to himself.

I think it could work out pretty well if done right. Does anybody know if Thor is still getting introduced in Iron Man 2 as originally stated? That could largely play a part to how his origin is handled.

Thoughts?

Not for the Thor film. Being that Loki may be in The Avengers movie, I can see it working there.

Hm that could be pretty cool if held off til then. They'd have to make this one in a way though that people would then question whether any of the asgard stuff really happened.

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought. It does sound like the movie will likely start in asgard and have thor thrown out like the classic story. But, what would you think if it were to follow the ultimates style origin

Thoughts?

Have to admit this opens me up to criticism, and puts me in the 'who's the old guy?' category, but I dearly hope they have nothing to do with that ultimates storyline. I'd love to see more of Kirby's Thor shown.

I can see the merits of the Ultimate take (hell, I even think it would suit the Marvel movieverse to a 't' - but then it was designed by Millar as such) but I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

As Agent says, Kirby's Thor (or just more 616 orientated) for me.

Yeah i want 0% influence from anything Ultimate Thor. I want classic Thor all the way.

I hope they DON'T dwell on Thor might be Crazy like Ulimates. I despise that whole idea.
I really hope they didn't change the script THAT much.

If they use any aspect of Ultimate hippie Thor, I'll walk out halfway through the film. I'll then walk straight to the projection room and rip the film out of the projector. Then, I will urinate on the mess. Even if it's the new digital set up, I'll find a way. I will then drive around town doing the same to every cinema copy I can find before I'm arrested. I'm completely serious.

I think the "is Thor Crazy" plot probably shouldn't be in the movie, but I think it would be an excellent way to make him mesh well with the Avengers movie, so that's probably where it should be used if they're going to have it. There's a scientific basis for where all the other heroes get their powers in The Avengers, so it makes sense that the characters in the movie would question the authenticity of Thor's claims of godhood. Within the context of the Avengers movie, it could be left up entirely to interpretation whether Thor is actually a Norse god or just some kook with awesome toys, but if you've seen the Thor movie then you know the truth about it.

well the FIRST draft there's only a VERY brief moment after Thor's banished and this viking slave kid is like, "yeah RIGHT you're the REAL Thor, he's an ARSE, you aren't" That's it they don't dwell and never return to it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the stage set with something like this:

Stark asks, "Is he 'the' Thor"

Fury - "He seems to think so"

Stark - "Where is he from"

Pym - "We don't know. He is definitely other worldly, but we don't know where specifically. Another planet, another dimension, another time... All of the above."

Stark - "Another dimension??!?!? The guy probably drank some toxic sewage and got struck by lightning... Now he is thinks he is the Thunder god"

Pym - "That very well could be... bottom line, there are lots of phenomenon in the universe that we don't understand... lots that we don't know anything about at all... He fits in that last category."

Stark - "OK... then what is he doing here???"

Fury - "That is what I mean to find out."

They could think he's a mutant.

Whatever their confusion might be, it could be a good hook to have it shared by the public (like the media scenes in IM with Cramer, and Nancy Grace in Hancock).

"First Ironman, then a hulking green monster... now there is an medieval, flying... what appears to be... viking. This latest 'super' being seen at large has been witnessed firing lightning bolts and seemingly controlling the weather itself. Attempts to contact authorities have turned up fruitless, as no one seems to understand who or what this mystery man is... how he got his powers...or what he wants."

Last edited:
I loved Ultimate Thor and thought that he was a great refreshing of the character. In fact, I was disappointed when he turned out to be an actual god because I liked the "crazy male nurse with stolen technology" story and if I was writing the Ultimates I would have kept his true nature ambiguous.

All that said, the movie should focus on the classic Marvel "616" Thor. He is a great character and makes more sense for the broad movie viewer.

From what I have read, they will be starting on Asgard and then moving to Earth/Midgard. I know a lot fo people want Don Blake, but I'm not so sure that he makes sense for a movie. Keep in mind, things will be different that the comics, just as they were with Spider-Man, Iron Man and X-Men. I know not all of those changes were popular, but in most cases they worked. For example:

Bad changes:
Galactus and Doom in FF
Deadpool in Wolverine
Green Goblin's costume in SM1

Acceptable changes:
Spider-man's organic webshooters
Tony Stark's glowing chest piece
The X-Men costumes

I think "no Donald Blake" would fall into the acceptable category because Thor is such a dominant character and has worked without Blake in the comics for long stretches.

Yeah i want 0% influence from anything Ultimate Thor. I want classic Thor all the way.

Sam Jackson as Fury is about all the Ultimates I can take in these Marvel movies! No Ultimate Thor please, or Ultimate Cap for that matter either.
thor-emoticon-god-of-thunder.gif
ca.gif
Use the Walt Simonson and Kirby runs for inspiration, and just make a good Thor film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"