How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Frontier, Jun 14, 2013.

?

"S" plastic shield vs broken neck.

1. "S" shield, cool new power designed to kill powerless enemies.

2. Broken neck to save a family and millions of future innocent lives.

3. "S" shield, cool new power designed to kill powerless enemies.

4. Broken neck to save a family and millions of future innocent lives.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlawlessVictory

FlawlessVictory Well-Known Member

Did Superman set a good example when he hurt a powerless Zod at the end of Superman 2 by crushing his hand and then throwing him. Zod was no stronger than a normal human at this point. Was it necessary for Superman to do this? Superman is supposed to be the best. Why couldn't he have just grabbed him and handed him over to the police without hurting him first? Should kids learn from how Superman handled that?

2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Using superior strength to kill a weaker opponent should not be something that ANYONE finds inspiring...unless you're an MMA fighter training hard to kick someone else's butt. What about people who AREN'T the stronger opponent?

Clark didn't rise to any challenge. He was the strongest person in the universe, and then used that advantage to win. He didn't outsmart the smarter man, he didn't out-strategize the better strategist. He didn't find victory in defeat (he killed a man he had down and in a headlock). He didn't find victory in a no-win situation. He did not have a strict moral code and then stick to it despite everything ad STILL win. He was the strongest guy in the room...and he killed his opponent with neck-breaking strength.

I just don't see what is so inspiring about that.

3. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

4. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

That film had a more lighthearted tone so even when Superman did that we didn't think twice about it. I think the large part of the problem with MoS is he kills Zod in the most brutal way imaginable. If it happened another way maybe we wouldn't be so upset.

And BTW there actually was a deleted scene that showed Zod and the others being taken into custody by the "arctic police" so they weren't killed after all.

5. Heretic

I hate Superman 2. Bad writing in the past does not excuse bad writing in the present. In fact, you'd think we'd learn from the mistakes of the past.

The comics even stumbled around, Superman tortured women to get confessions! But eventually the comics figured out what the definitive Superman should be, and retconned the old stuff out. I understand that they recently have decided to embrace a darker Superman in preparation for this films release...but my point is that this just feels wrong for the character. EVERY OTHER character is like this...why can't the Big Blue Boy Scout actually be the shining example?

6. FlawlessVictory

A deleted scene. So now we have to refer to deleted scenes. When Superman 2 was released that was not the case and that is what millions of people saw and no one had an issue. Oh yea because it's light hearted. It's ok for Superman to hurt powerless people if it's in a light moment.

7. FlawlessVictory

That's fair, at least you are consistent and acknowledge the fault of that movie when so many seem to gloss right over it.

8. Drewbee87

Drewbee87 Well-Known Member

Thank you! :)

9. LostSon88

LostSon88 Well-Known Member

Deleted scenes don't count.

10. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

Basically yes. As I said this film decided to have him kill someone with his BARE HANDS in an incredibly brutal and shocking way. It creates a knee-jerk reaction of disgust among certain people in the audience. If Superman killed him in some indirect way like having a building fall on him and break his neck or throwing him into a volcano or something maybe there wouldn't be such a visceral reaction.

11. FlawlessVictory

I don't disagree. Zod's death was extremely jarring.

12. LostSon88

How would a building falling and/or throwing Zod into a volcano kill him exactly?

13. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

I don't know. I'm just throwing some idea out there. I didn't think that superbeings could be killed by having their neck snapped either.

14. LostSon88

Well when it's another superhuman being doing it, yeah it's possible.

15. Heretic

Part of the reason why Zod's death was so jarring is because he clearly WANTED to die...and Superman obliged with brute force.

16. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

It's disingenuous to a fault.
    The issue has always been about superman killing. "He's better than this, he's more moral than that..."

You mean to tell this whole time it's actually been about the fashion he went about it?

Please. So he can kill, just not in this particular fashion right?

17. tomoe

tomoe Well-Known Member

Maybe he wasn't killed. Never saw what happened to his "body" afterwards. :p

18. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

No, I still don't think he should kill at all. I'm just saying that if it happened in another way people may have overlooked it just like they did in SupermanII. And just like they overlooked it in BB when Bruce seemed to think he wasn't breaking his one rule by letting Ras die. I don't agree but it didn't seem to bother most people in the audience.

I guess what I'm saying is they could have had Superman kill someone in a way that wouldn't have caused this much controversy. But controversy is obviously what they wanted.

19. Daybreak_st

Daybreak_st Old-School Comic Cool

Everything you posted is perfect. You get the character of Superman, what he stands foor whhat he believes in etc. I'm convinced that the filmmakers only understtand hhim in the most basic form a nice guy with amazing powers. Its funny because with Superman Returns we had a filmmaker who loved the character but only a veryspecific iteration of the chharacter so his film was bogged down in nostalgia. With man of steel we had a writwr who admitted to not really being into Superman who basically felt the character needed to be reinvented and changed to work in a modern context. They wanted to make him cool at any cost. Goyer loved Batman and it shhoowed in his writing of Begins. Its the mostt definitive version of the character on screen. He didnt love superman and that showed too

20. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

It was an interesting discussion. I had a few hypothetical ideas...

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=22857915&highlight=funeral#post22857915

21. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

All this cause they(all of them) wanted to deconstruct why superman is superman in a more tangible way?

They wanted to make him cool
    who knew.

Hey johnny?
    -Why does tony stark have a no killing rule? Oh right he doesn't.
    -Why does Wolverine have a no killing rule? Oh right he doesn't.
    -Why does Cap? Oh righ....
    -Why does Batman? Cause his parents were murdered and he sore to protect life. He also came face to face with the murder and felt empty at the prospect of taking his life. Any fool can see this.

-Why does superman have a no killing rule? Because his parents taught him better?

22. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

Correct

23. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

Getting people talking about the character is what they wanted. That's not the same as "they wanted controversy".

So if they killed off zod in a playful way with light hearted music playing and people smiling and cracking jokes like a marvel movie, or rather superman 2 then we wouldn't be having this discussion?

if that's so I praise them for having the guts to give the scene and the matter the gravitas it deserved.

24. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

yea i thought so.
    care to explain why that's objectively(if possible) better than this alternative?

And how the change destroys the character(if you think it does).

25. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

I always figured supes new as powerful as he was, He could never afford to cross that line, could you imagine if superman tried to force a tyrannical brand of justice on his enemies, killing bad guys he deems to dangerous......doesn't that make him a god? Killing is easy, finding away to stop is hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.