How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved it. An emotional, suspenseful ending. Excellent story choice by Goyer.

I think it's a bit deflating that Zod says in the battle that either he dies or Superman dies, there is no alternative, and thus in the end he's essentially vindicated and victorious and Superman is in fact no better than Zod thought he was. Also, I don't really buy the "HE HAD NO CHOICE!" arguments. If Superman had the strength to snap Zod's neck, you think he'd also have the strength to knock him out with a solid blow to the back of the head or something.

Possibly, but then what does he do when he comes round?
It was a genuine shock to me in the movie, but after the phantom zone singularity closed, there was no way to get him back there, how else could he have dealt with Zod?

I think it only doesn't work if you take this as just a standalone movie, heck, most of the movie doesn't work if you take it as a one-shot. There's most likely going to be a sequel, and it'll probably address most of these concerns.

I think it only doesn't work if you take this as just a standalone movie, heck, most of the movie doesn't work if you take it as a one-shot. There's most likely going to be a sequel, and it'll probably address most of these concerns.

Which is one of my biggest problems with it

I'm amazed I've not seen an independent thread on this. Considering the levels of rage over the lack of red undies, the fact of Superman - the most boyscout and law-abiding of all heroes -
breaking the "one rule" and killing Zod...

I was shocked as hell to see that happen. Supes has always been the least likely character to
kill his enemy.

One of the goals of this film was to ground Superman in reality. They did that by creating situations and answered what would really happen if a super being who could perform outstanding feats were put in that situation. You also had to realize that you were dealing with a person who was basically acting as Superman for the very first time and his moral code was barely beginning to form. In the climactic scene and near final act where Superman faced Zod they answered the question what would the former do when faced with the choice of saving humanity or persons of his own race. Superman was put in a realistic situation where he had to make a choice and there was no "none of the above" selection. The answer, which was based in realism, was to do what he did to Zod, a man who was then admitting that his demise would be the only end to the conflict. It may have been shocking to some comic book fans who know the character very well, but realistically speaking, if anyone else were put in that situation (where someone was going to die either way) then would make sure they would save the innocent. I think they handled it very well and tried to send a message to everyone that in the real world, although sometimes we have to make sacrifices and sometimes we have to make choices that we may later live to regret, we do have to make those choices.

Last edited:
Well, there's nothing I can tell you then. I enjoyed it.

I'm glad you did. I never like seeing fans disappointed by films they're anticipated for. I just don't understand, or like, this fad studios are condoning of fixing problems with sequels instead of putting more work into the film itself. Feels like a cop out. Sequels should be earned.

I liked it, but I don't remember much fuss about Superman being against killing. Not that some people don't know about it, but for all the hoo-ha the ending had, there was little background for it.

He mourned. He was put into a situation where if he didn't act Zod would have killed innocent people and the only way to resolve it was to put him down. It affected him. I just didn't cripple him. It sounds to me like you want to turn him into an depressed emotional vegetable for the rest of the movie.

That. My thoughts exactly.

I'm glad you did. I never like seeing fans disappointed by films they're anticipated for. I just don't understand, or like, this fad studios are condoning of fixing problems with sequels instead of putting more work into the film itself. Feels like a cop out. Sequels should be earned.

I'm looking at this as more of the beginning of something, rather than the whole story. It's the Fellowship of the Ring, just the first part, and the main event hasn't started yet.

I'm looking at this as more of the beginning of something, rather than the whole story. It's the Fellowship of the Ring, just the first part, and the main event hasn't started yet.

See I just can't do that. Fellowship was established to be the first in a trilogy. You know that going in, you can forgive open plot threads for it. But a solo movie should be able to stand completely on its own and not lean on sequels, tie-in comics or whatever else to fill in stuff the writer wasn't creative enough to do himself.

Look at Batman Begins. Of course they wanted a sequel, but the film was a complete story all on its own. So was TDK. those stories didn't HAVE to continue to make sense.

What was stopping him from flying, again?

Zod was slowly getting used to his powers. He eventually realized that his armor was weighing him down (or so it seemed). He eventually removed it and was able to levitate and fly.

Zod was slowly getting used to his powers. He eventually realized that his armor was weighing him down (or so it seemed). He eventually removed it and was able to levitate and fly.

No, I get that. I'm talking about the headlock.

Why didn't Superman just lift off with Zod if he couldn't stop his head from turning?

the "fad" he's talking about is probably a reference to Amazing Spider-Man. I definitely see similarities between the structure of MoS and ASM. They are both designed for potential sequels and quite honestly I am thrilled with the concept.

Comic book movies should build up to a sequel. Potential is at least half the fun.

Man of Steel felt like a complete story. I don't get all this setup for a sequel talk since Nolan mentioned how they make sure to put everything they got into the one they're making and that it works on its own. Complete. Which it did.

It's why the Marvel movies get a bit too convoluted in that regard.

This is really my favorite moment in the movie. It was unexpected, I was shocked. I think it was an amazing scene that worked well. It got the reaction I think it was going for, the shock, and that doesn't change anything else in future movies. The character will still continue to be the same.

So I don't see why that makes such a big difference for people. I suggested this on these boards years ago, an ending like that and I remember all the nasty comments I got. Now that it is on film, I think it worked well.

I also have seen not just on here but movie critics complaining about how serious the movie is, but not a lot of them saying how they would fix it. I think most people just seem to want a continuation of the Christopher Reeve movies camp-fest and all and saving kittens from trees and all. There has never been an origin story done right (by right I mean taken seriously and with good special effects) and now there is. The second movie can be the action packed camp-fest they want.

I honestly feel that they should have had Zod kill that family or one of them for that scene to have a harder impact.

THEN the scream would have made more sense as a primal scream of I'M COMPLETELY ALONE NOW, I DIDN'T WANT TO KILL THE LAST OF MY KIND.

I may be wrong but, I'm pretty sure he did. You never see them again. All you see is the black smoke at the edge of the screen. They left it a bit ambiguous but, I think if they had lived, we would have seen them thanking Superman for saving them.

I liked it, but I don't remember much fuss about Superman being against killing. Not that some people don't know about it, but for all the hoo-ha the ending had, there was little background for it.

But doesn't Zod get killed in the 2nd movie with Christopher Reeve? Isn't it implied all those guys flying a hundred feet thru the air slamming against a solid ice wall and falling 50 feet down, I mean wouldn't that have killed him?

Just going to reiterate this here.

In the comics, Superman killed Zod. And afterward, he was riddled with guilt.

Now I can't say for sure that the scene in the movie is a direct nod to that, but there's a good chance that it was, given the way it played out, and Superman's very powerful, emotional reaction to what he had just done.

It's also important to note that we saw Reeve's Superman kill Zod too, or at least it sure seemed that way. And there, it wasn't even necessary.

So... just my opinion, but I have no problem with it. He had to do it to save lives. And it's not out of character for Superman, at least not the John Byrne version, which was canon for 20 years or so. Some people are going to hate it, but I wasn't one of them.

This. I didn't have a problem with it. In fact, I felt it was played pitch perfect in the film. Supes clearly was anguished over what he had to do.

I might be one of the hated "purists/Donner lovers" so reviled by some on these boards but I have to say I loved this movie and think that the scene worked well because Cavil made me believe in the remorse and regret Superman felt. That being said, this is this version ofSupes one mulligan on the no kill rule. Later installments better not make this a habit in the story's progression.

But doesn't Zod get killed in the 2nd movie with Christopher Reeve? Isn't it implied all those guys flying a hundred feet thru the air slamming against a solid ice wall and falling 50 feet down, I mean wouldn't that have killed him?

There is a deleted scene in which Zod and co are handed over to the police.

But Donner movies never cared about explaining everything like Nolan movies do. I am no9t against Superman killing Zod, specially if that means to save the earth. I liked it the way it was done and, as someone else said, it was emotional and Superman showed pain about it. My question is if Superman ever showed some feelings against killing in this very movie.

I said this in another thread and figured I would post it here.

To those who would have him choose another route in defeating Zod, What are you're alternatives ?

IF he fly's him away, the fight continues and more people die and more damage to metropolis.

If he knocks him through a building, same as above.

So anything short of re-opening the Phantom Zone, killing Zod was the only option.

Superman doesn't like killing, but he will if push to the level where it is necessary.

This is just wrong! Superman killed someone without powers and immediately gave a little smile after doing it. This director and these people don't understand the character!! My childhood has been raped! Of course I'm talking about Superman II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"