How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just wrong! Superman killed someone without powers and immediately gave a little smile after doing it. This director and these people don't understand the character!! My childhood has been raped! Of course I'm talking about Superman II.

Wrong section. :joker:

Are people contesting that scene in Superman II? It was very poorly written back then and it's just as bad watching it today. Don't know why anyone's using it to justify anything else.

And you might want to take it easy on the rape jokes. Not cool

It's sarcasm, folks. If you have a problem with Zod's death in MOS, you better sure as hell have a problem with it in S2. And Poni Boy, please tell me where you see a rape joke there. Furthermore, I can joke about anything I choose. In the words of George Carlin, "People say 'You can't joke about rape. That's not funny.' I say it's hilarious. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd."

Since when is a agonizing scream a smile ?

some people, instead of just saying they don't like it, stating their reasons, and ending it there, are hellbent on grasping as many straws as possible in order to condemn this scene. I for one thought that it was very well done, and I got a strong impression that that was the scene where Superman's extraordinary value on life truly comes into being, he never ever wants to do anything remotely like what he just did ever again.

Aside from the fact that the took one of the most powerful comic book stories involving Superman and homaged it incredibly well...

It's a beautiful scene. Incredibly well acted, executed, scored, and resolved.

It was handled much, much, much better than any of the Batman "death" scenes we've seen.

Superman pleading with Zod not to do this...not just not to kill the humans, but not to make him kill him.

There are several layers to this sequence story and characterwise. It's entirely possible that Zod, who knows Superman has him more or less contained physically in that moment, has a death wish after what happened to Krypton. Superman does not want to kill. At all. His whole life has been about preserving life. Superman has to, in order to save innocent people.

In that moment, he makes the final choice about severing his ties to Krypton's people, and embracing his Earth heritage.

And yes, he kills.

Because Superman, for all his incredible powers, is fallible.

It's an incredible scene. One of the best I've seen in a superhero movie. It's simple, and yet fairly complex at the same time.

As far as people whining about "he only mourns for five minutes". That's five minutes more than Bruce "I won't be an executioner" Wayne ever mourned in the Batfilms.

I know that Superman has vanquished certain foes before. But it's always been a bit more... ambiguous? The way it was done in Superman 2 is a great example.

What shocked me here was the method.

The snap Zod's neck...

I don't know. Every other time he's been forced into that situation, it feels like it was much more of side-step death, you know?

Superman steps aside so the bad-guy, rushing at him to try and kill him, falls to his death.

IE, he doesn't outright kill so much as he's allows the bad-guy to die?

Perhaps I'm letting myself be influenced by how far they went to avoid Batman killing in the TDK trilogy here, I don't know.

It's just, in the past 30-40 years of filmed Superman, the villains death is their own fault more so than Superman actually doing so, and here... he does the deed.

He was justified in it. He had no choice. It was totally reasonable, rational, required.

But it's still a bit of a shocker to see him snap Zod's neck.

Killing Zod was the only way to stop him... It really broke Superman's heart that zod force him to kill him or it was going to be that family. It show in that scene... This is where we see superman draw the line and never kill again or at lease until we see Doomsday... lol

Aside from the fact that the took one of the most powerful comic book stories involving Superman and homaged it incredibly well...

It was handled much, much, much better than any of the Batman "death" scenes we've seen.

Superman pleading with Zod not to do this...not just not to kill the humans, but not to make him kill him.

There are several layers to this sequence story and characterwise. It's entirely possible that Zod, who knows Superman has him more or less contained physically in that moment, has a death wish after what happened to Krypton. Superman does not want to kill. At all. His whole life has been about preserving life. Superman has to, in order to save innocent people.

In that moment, he makes the final choice about severing his ties to Krypton's people, and embracing his Earth heritage.

And yes, he kills.

It's an incredible scene. One of the best I've seen in a superhero movie. It's simple, and yet fairly complex at the same time.

As far as people whining about "he only mourns for five minutes". That's five minutes more than Bruce "I won't be an executioner" Wayne ever mourned in the Batfilms.

You're right. Unlike in Nolan's Batman movies, at least the time the issue was addressed.

Well said. One of the best emotional ending I've ever seen from a CBM.

Originally Posted by The Guard

And yes, he kills.

Either Superman kills Zod in that instant, or the vision of a genocidal Zod reigning over a desolate world with piles of skulls and bones becomes a reality. I applaud the route taken by MOS over the always annoying nick-of-time-from-out-of-left-field surprises that take the hero out of the position of having to make a horrible decision. Like in the comics, an issue will end with you being certain that Superman (or some other hero) is about to make a terrible choice, but in the first 2 pages of the next issue some other costumed chap or lady swoops in and does the job for our hero. Don't like that. Glad it went down the way it did, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Clark's actions affect him in the future.

What I love about it is that it is just like three people.

It's not Zod with his finger on the button. He's going to fry three people.

And Superman, who probably watched Zod kill thousands during their rampage, won't even let that happen now that he has the chance to stop him and the upper hand at last.

That's a great break down of the scene Guard.
I think most cbms and movies in general miss out on the opportunity by presenting the hero with a way out.

I do hope that this is bought up down the line. It would be ripe for a jla dialogue.
If anything it would serve to fuel the bat/superman tension.

And YOUR first problem is thinking that I have a problem...

...this movie created a character that DOESN'T think like I do. I can't tell you how many times I've been faced with a tough decision and I've caved in. However, this movie DID portray a character that I ASPIRE to be! A character that ultimately makes the right decision despite the blow back. I'm not sure what movie you were watching but I never got the impression that Pa Kent taught his son to just watch people die. I suppose handing Clark a helpless kid and telling him to get everyone under the overpass means "watching people die". Yes, Pa Kent said that "maybe" he should have let the kids on the bus die...but he always followed it up by telling Clark that his power isn't his speed or physical strength, but in the choices he will make. He urged Clark to keep that side of him a secret, but he also said that he believes Clark was sent to Earth for a reason and that reason would change the world....which is why Pa Kent kept telling Clark that whatever decisions he makes by utilizing his powers will dictate the type of man he becomes.

It's a very gray subject and you can't just write it off as "Pa Kent taught Clark to embrace death". If you believe that, then you clearly missed the point that the movie was trying to make.

Okay...I am aware that this was just bad writing, and not an intentional message...but ask any expert...if a tornado hits DO NOT go to the underpass! It creates a wind tunnel and puts you in more danger than if you just hit a low point. But that is just one of many, many issues where the writer just didn't care to make sense.

However...look at the scenes involving the Kents again. They help Clark hide his powers, and the message throughout their role in the films was that Clark should hide his alien side because people can't accept it. That isn't the Kents!!! When Clark asks "should I just let people die?" Pa Kent should answer "son, you do what is right, and I have raised you to know what is right."

What did Superman do that would suggest that he is the Man of Tomorrow??? Yeah, he saved people early on...and I was fine with the early goings in the film...but once the action started, he punched and neck snapped his way to victory. Superman is not a conflicted man between two worlds, forced to exterminate all Kryptonian life to save Earth. He's the son of the Kents...he can find a better solution than that.

The fact is...this was all due to laziness. We are all already supposed to know that Clark has a weakness for needing to save people...so the movie exploited that without ever really leading us up to it. The way it should be is while Zod was beating on Superman, Clark can barely defend himself because he's too focused on trying to save people. Zod could have exploited that countless times, evening the odds up. This movie was saying "Hey, people already know how moral he is and that he hates to kill...lets not actually have any scenes showing that in the film and the climax will still resonate thanks to the work of other writers in other media." Merely showing Clark side by side with Jesus art is not the same as actual character building (something often done with Superman...simply throw in some Jesus imagery to make up for not wanting to actually show how good Clark is).

Last edited:
There's no longer an iconic shirt rip.

From now on, that motion will be the signature Superman neck-snap. Kids for generations to come will draw great inspiration and empowerment from doing the 'Superman Snap'....Subway will use it in advertising their foot-long hot subs subs cut in half, with the melted cheese dripping from between; 'Snap a Super-Sub Today!'.....Mountain Dew will have special edition bottles shaped like Zod, where you...yes...snap the head off.....and so on....

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: Excuse me...I ordered a latte with skim.

Cahier: Says regular on the receipt.

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: That's because they misheard me, I specifically....

Cashier: If that's what it says on the receipt, we can't do anything about it.

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: C'mon that's.....

Cashier: You're holding up the line.

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: ...why you...!

(snaps cahier's neck)

:woot:

SUPEST.jpg

Snapper.jpg

Last edited:
What I love about it is that it is just like three people.

It's not Zod with his finger on the button. He's going to fry three people.

And Superman, who probably watched Zod kill thousands during their rampage, won't even let that happen now that he has the chance to stop him and the upper hand at last.

I kind of wondered at the time whether it was sort of 'death by cop' on the part of Zod. He knew he'd been defeated, his plans in ruins, his 'people' gone. So as a warrior, all that was left was to somehow die in battle at the end. So maybe he knowingly forced KalEl's hand to at least grant him that warrior's 'wish', rather than go back to some sort of imprisonment....but also one last parting shot leaving KalEl with the weight of his decision.

Last edited:
SPOILERS.

....broken neck after a massive battle. If Zod could choose the way to be killed as a warrior, what option would he choose?

Some people feel this movie has disappointed them because Superman kills Zod, but they seem to forget how Superman killed all the depowered kryptonians in Superman II throwing them into a hole with his "S" plastic shield.

He cowardly killed them when they where powerless against him, in MoS he kills Zod because otherwise Zod would keep killing human innocents. If he is not killed, millions of humans would ultimatelly die because Superman didn't stop him.

Even if he found another way to stop him, Zod could always escape and return to kill everybody, Superman probably realizes about this when Zod is going to kill the family, before that happens he decides that the mass destruction and killing of innocents has to end, so instead of getting a plastic "S" shield out of his chest, he just breaks his neck before the family is murdered. He did the right thing imo, and I'm pretty sure that even Zod would agree. :word:

Last edited:
I had no problems with Supes snapping his neck...I'm just glad Faora survived; damn she was looking good ;)

Yeah the neck break was the only way to stop him. I gotta say from a visual stand point how cool was it to see a "super" neck break?!

There's no longer an iconic shirt rip.

From now on, that motion will be the signature Superman neck-snap. Kids for generations to come will draw great inspiration and empowerment from doing the 'Superman Snap'....Subway will use it in advertising their foot-long hot subs subs cut in half, with the melted cheese dripping from between; 'Snap a Super-Sub Today!'.....Mountain Dew will have special edition bottles shaped like Zod, where you...yes...snap the head off.....and so on....

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: Excuse me...I ordered a latte with skim.

Cahier: Says regular on the receipt.

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: That's because they misheard me, I specifically....

Cashier: If that's what it says on the receipt, we can't do anything about it.

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: C'mon that's.....

Cashier: You're holding up the line.

Guy w/ Supes T-shirt: ...why you...!

(snaps cahier's neck)

:woot:

SUPEST.jpg

Snapper.jpg

SHH-cosbylaugh_zpsc9a26ddc.gif

Well tonight, you are going to break your one rule... Guys, Supes had no other choice. Zod told him that he wasn't going to stop until one of them was dead. That's what he was bred for, fighting. Supes did the right thing. And I really believe that if Bats was put in the same situation, with the same split second decision, he would have done it too.

Well tonight, you are going to break your one rule... Guys, Supes had no other choice. Zod told him that he wasn't going to stop until one of them was dead. That's what he was bred for, fighting. Supes did the right thing. And I really believe that if Bats was put in the same situation, with the same split second decision, he would have done it too.

In fact he did.

I kind of wondered at the time whether it was sort of 'death by cop' on the part of Zod. He knew he'd been defeated, his plans in ruins, his 'people' gone. So as a warrior, all that was left was to somehow die in battle at the end. So maybe he knowingly forced KalEl's hand to at least grant him that warrior's 'wish', rather than go back to some sort of imprisonment....but also one last parting shot leaving KalEl with the weight of his decision.

Yeah. He kept prodding Superman to kill him. Zod WANTED to die. He was spent, he doesn't care what humans he kills, there was no way to imprison him, Supes begged for him to relent, he wouldn't, a family was at stake.

As a major comics fan, I thought I'd have trouble with it, but I didn't. Optimally, there would be a fancy sci-fi/magical solution to this predicament. But since this is a more "grounded" approach, there was nothing he could do.

Also it makes Superman The Last Son of Krypton.

the audience clapped when he snapped his neck

Batman would have knocked him out, than placed him in a deathtrap.-

Oh, you mean comics Batman? He wouldn't last the fight :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"