How to get a job?

Some some volunteer work, get to know the higher ups there. Use them for references.

I will agree. Getting a job before you're 18 is a real ***** because a lot of places don't like hiring minors because it's a hassle.

Job at 16? Good luck. You're going to hate it after a month.

Well here are a few pointers on your resume:

1. change "experience" to "proficient" in MS
2. Do you have any language skills
3. Your objective is not to apply for an entry level position because if that is all it is then you have achieved it by applying. Therefore, you want to change that phrase into something like "To start gaining professional experience in the ___________ sector before starting college"
4. Your extra curricular activities should go from latest to earliest (reverse chronological order)
5. I imagine you took it off, but m,ake sure you have your personal information up top with a head shot
6. Your skills need to be more prominent on the page and should include other things such as good with people, experience in managing teams, etc.
7. On your extra curricular activities, there is no description of what you did in them and it is important to include that
8. When you send an application and resume include a motivation letter

That is all I can think up for now and note the most important thing is to be persistent.

If you're a hottie, flirt with the person doing the hiring.

You'll get hired on the spot. :o

1. Dress to impress - appearances do make a difference. Since you are 16 you will need to dress "older".

2. Be prepared - when you go in to fill out those applications, make sure you have your pen handy and your resume, as well as numerous references

3. DO NOT LIE - many places check out your references, if you lie and they find out, you'll get black marked with that business and their personnel / hiring team

4. Try to take the experiences you have and make them relate directly to the job you are applying for.
Example: My familiarity with Word, Excel and Power Point will aid and assist me in producing high quality work.
My work on the school year book has helped me hone my organization skills that will allow me to get things done in a timely manner.

5. Spelling counts and so does neatness - if you are filling out an application by hand, go slowly, think through your answers first and then print them in your best handwriting.

6. Be polite and sweet - If you can leave the application with a person who has a smile on their face then they'll put you on the top of the pile. If you bring that person down your application could end up in the trash.

7. Be clean - Have minty fresh breath and smell nice but not overwhelming (too much perfume isn't good either). Remember the person taking your application will probably be thinking "do I want to be next to this person for long periods of time".

8. If you get the interview, send a thank you note after the interview is over.

(those are off the top of my head)

I don't know how people have trouble getting jobs. I've had a job consistently since I was 14. Its weird being in college and not having a job.

I tend to just walk into places that pay cash-in-hand, bars and the like, and ask straight up 'I need a job. Have you got any going?' Never let me down yet.

All depends on the area you live in. Though I must admit I started working around the same age as you Kyalesin, baby sitting and house cleaning. Longest I've ever been out of work and looking was a month.

If there's a Temp agency in your area SapphirePrima - apply there. They're always hiring and between jobs you can look for permanent work and use the experience from the Temp agency on your resume.

Claim to be fluent in a foreign language that you are positive the manager will not know. That way you look smart, but he can't test you.

All depends on the area you live in. Though I must admit I started working around the same age as you Kyalesin, baby sitting and house cleaning. Longest I've ever been out of work and looking was a month.

If there's a Temp agency in your area SapphirePrima - apply there. They're always hiring and between jobs you can look for permanent work and use the experience from the Temp agency on your resume.

I don't know about the agency thing. I've had a real bad run with them. Took them three months to find me a job. Unless you nag them every single day, they don't even look at your file. Sure, the job was good. When I got it.

I was unemployed for 3 months because I was basing my job criteria on if I could go on the internet or not.

I thought my warehouse job meant the death of my internet social life... and then I found out that my supervisor used the stock computer to play poker online all day. You'd be surprised where you'l find the internet.

Do NOT lie on your resume. If they choose to check things out then you would just get fired. And if you're fired from a job, the next time you apply elsewhere, you have to explain why you were fired from the last one.

Set up a Lemonade stand. You will be your own boss and all.

I'm gonna do that next week:oldrazz:

lemonade_tycoon_scr.jpg

Honestly I've never ever turned in a resume for any job that didn't require educational background beyond high school. I would walk into a place (or call) and ask if they are hiring. Ask to speak to the manager. Speak to them about the positions and then if it interests you, see if they offer you an application.

I'm a teacher so I was looking for summer "for fun" work. I went and inquired at a restaurant for a waitressing position and they asked for a resume. I thought to myself "A resume? For a summer waitressing position? Ok not." I've waitressed for six years and I don't need to dress it up on a piece of paper. In the end I walked into a cafe that does breakfast and lunch, filled out an application and got the job two days later. :confused: Psh resume.

Yeah I think with Sapphire here, she doesn't need a resume per se. She's 16 years old, most places she's applying for will just make her fill out an application.

I remember working at a video store and 16-17 year olds would be applying and under references, they'd put their mothers and fathers.

I always wish I could do the interview, I talked to your father, and he says your a slacker who's never going to get anywhere in life if you continue being a dumbass.

I didn't have to lie on my app at all.

I just said "Good computer skills, Word and Powerpoint skills. Great team worker, and I'm always up for a new challenge at work."

:huh::up:

I have a feeling Sapphire's main problem is her age.

Skills:
Expert X-Box 360 Player
Sex Machine
Double jointed in thumbs
Can recite all 50 States in Alphabetical Order

I have a feeling Sapphire's main problem is her age.

Yeah, it is pretty hard to get a job at 16, save McDonald's or other fast food restaurants.

I get a ton of 16-17 y/o girls asking for apps, but ya gotta be 18 where I work, because we let you handle guns. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"