How to not spend money

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes it's hard for me to go somewhere and not buy anything; even if I wasn't planning on it. Whether it be food, a book, a movie or something else; even though I don't spend a lot I still try to keep as much money as I can, seems like the only way I don't spend is if just don't leave the house.

So, what do you do when you're trying not to spend any money on anything; like how do you stop the urge?

Usually my only urges to buy are when I'm in Best Buy, and it's so hard from wanting to buy. It's not really so much impulse as it is need. Like, I need a new TV/Monitor, I need a VGA Cable, so on and so fourth. It never really hits me until I'm in that certain isle looking (drooling) over the thing I need.

So I usually just stay away from those isles unless I know, for sure, that I will be buying something.

That or if I'm feeling wild and crazy, I just leave my wallet in the car.

I have the same problem. I literally have to become a recluse in order to save money.

When I wanted to avoid spending money I too became like a recluse. Fortunately for me, I am not in that situation often these years.

I eat at home first. There is a link between hunger and impulse spending.

I went to Cedar Point on Sunday and all I spent was $15.

I hate buying things that I don't need, so, I tend to be pretty smart/efficient with my money..

well, my dream is to one day return home to London so before I buy anything I double the price in my head to acknowledge the exchange rate into pounds.

Take a bottle of water with me. Drink from it while window shopping. As I look at something that really appeals to me, try to think of places where I can get it cheaper. (Food -> I can make something when I get home; Drinks -> I have my water, take a sip; Clothing -> I should wait til it's on sale; Books -> I can buy second hand on-line for half the price). Then try to keep in mind something I am saving my money for (Christmas is coming soon, I need to save up to buy gifts)

Hmm, do you use cash or plastic? Sometimes switching to the other way will make it less impulsive. Also, try thinking how logical it is to get it and if you will still be using it in a few months, a year, longer, etc. Think of better or other things you can buy at a later time. Chew gum.

1. Get a bank or debit card.
2. Put all your money on that card.
3. Leave that card at home.

And that's the way you do it. :oldrazz:

Aside from learning a bit of financial planning?

I eat at home, except when I know that I'm going out to eat or to the bar with the buds. I also know what I'm going to buy and when. If a new CD or DVD or comic is coming out I'll plan around it, buy it online if I can get a deal. I also only budget myself $40 a week for random spending. I fill my gas tank on a Monday, I pay all my bills online the moment they come in, I do the supermarket on Sunday afternoon so really I don't spend much money at all.

I'm not at all an impulse buyer.

I also pay all my bills online that I can, saves money on envelopes and stamps.

If i'm low on funds, I'll leave my credit cards at home to ensure I don't splurge when I don't need to.

Don't get a Debit Card, I spent so much more money now because it's so convenient

Good tips all around.

Eat at home. For the cost of eating one meal out, you could probably buy the ingredients for that same meal and make 4 servings out of it.

I only keep about $20 with me at a time. This way, I can't purchase big ticket items. Also, self control helps.

I used to do impulse buying and now I'm paying for it. Now I tend to think before I spend.

I don't go anywhere. If you aren't going anywhere, you aren't spending money on gas, food, no temptations to spend on anything because you aren't looking at anything to buy. :funny:

But that's the drastic way to do things. :hehe: There's plenty of things you can do without spending money. The only real splurge my bf and I do is eat out, but that could be as simple as sharing a burger somewhere.

I'm actually working on downsizing my belongings, seeing what I'm using, what I don't use. I actually don't have all that much stuff, but I still have a lot of things I don't use. Taking stock of what I DO have makes it easier to not buy new things because what would I use it for? I already have a ton of stuff I have yet to use! :funny:

It's also about priorities. The economy is making people do weird things, because they want to save money, but then they feel deprived and then splurge on luxuries so I guess it all evens out in the end. :funny: My roommate complains about having to buy better (read: more expensive) food for the cats, but this weekend she went on a shopping spree at Coach and Sephora. :huh: Once you've thought this stuff through with yourself, you can make better decisions about your money. I don't think my roommate has yet. :funny:

I also buy everything with credit cards, but I do it to see how much I'm spending each month. Seeing a huge amount on my bill makes more of an impression on me than lots of smaller ATM withdrawals for cash. I always always ALWAYS pay off my balance in full each month, and I get rewards points for using my card. This month I was able to get a $50 statement credit from my rewards. :woot: I also have my salary deposited into my savings account, so I have to transfer money into my checking to pay my bills. That way, I see exactly how much I'm spending. It freaks me out a little bit, but that's the point. It scares you into saving more. :funny:

I also pay all my bills online that I can, saves money on envelopes and stamps.
If i'm low on funds, I'll leave my credit cards at home to ensure I don't splurge when I don't need to.

Yeah, I never carry my credit cars out with me. I keep to the $40 a week in my wallet rule. If I want a CD, DVD, concert tickets or whatever it is, I'll be aware of the release date and get it online.

As of today I'm down to $34.25 because I had a burger when I was out on the road earlier.

I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes it's hard for me to go somewhere and not buy anything; even if I wasn't planning on it. Whether it be food, a book, a movie or something else; even though I don't spend a lot I still try to keep as much money as I can, seems like the only way I don't spend is if just don't leave the house.

So, what do you do when you're trying not to spend any money on anything; like how do you stop the urge?
Determine how much you spend every month on essentials then determine a cash allowance and a credit card spending limit for every month.

Give youself the same allowance in cash every month. Use the cash for only food, haircuts, and other small purchases. You can't spend too much cash or you'll risk running out of money for food before the end of the month.

Only use your credit card for bills and major purchases but budget this money too. If your monthly bills come to $500 a month add another $200 a month for unexpected purchases. That means you can't spend more than $700 month on your credit card and you have a strict cash allowance you can't go over as well.

Also pay yourself every month for savings.

Pretend you have a $200 or $300 car note you must pay every month but instead of going toward a car it goes straight into a savings account that you don't touch unless there's an emergency.

Getting married and having children.

:oldrazz:

Sounds like you just gotta learn to control that. You remind me of a friend I used to hang out with a lot. He would be complaining about how he couldn't pay his rent and then we'd stop out at Best Buy and he would whip out his credit card, which he was already behind payments on, and buy a new video game or the new CD that came out that week. I had to be like his freakin' mom sometimes when we would go out.

He moved away so I don't know if he's gotten any better with it. However, I used to be like that when I was much younger, like 19 years old, and would use my credit card a lot thinking that I could handle the payments. Eventually it came to the point where it's like, "Well, do I want good credit so that I can buy a car and a house? Or do I want to have every new cool gadget and CD that comes out?" Thankfully I chose to improve my credit and learn patience. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"