Justice League How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Originally Posted by The Guard
Except for SUPERFRIENDS and SUPER POWERS, JLA: THE NEW FRONTIER, FIRST FLIGHT, EMERALD KNIGHTS, CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS, JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOM, JL animated, BRAVE AND THE BOLD...

Oh, and I forgot GREEN LANTERN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, now on its second season. I would say that takes care of the nonsensical "colossal failure" argument.

To the mainstream he's the guy w/the movie that flopped hard

The mainstream doesn't care. That's part of why the movie flopped in the first place.

To comics fan, he is the guy with the movie that "flopped". Comic fans are so obsessed over sh** like that.
To the mainstream, he is the guy with the movie that is average. John is the guy that didn't have the movie.
The GL movie was faaaaaaaar below average.
Oh, and I forgot GREEN LANTERN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, now on its second season. I would say that takes care of the nonsensical "colossal failure" argument.
&you'd be wrong. The movie was a very exspensive failure. The animated series doesn't change that.
The mainstream doesn't care. That's part of why the movie flopped in the first place.
So the mainstream doesn't care about Hal? I'd agree. All the more reason to use another Lantern. Maybe one people might be inclined to care about.

I'd prefer John and Barry myself, but that might just be me.

Barry and Hal. Barry and John. Barry and Kyle. Hal and Wally. Wally and John. Wally and Kyle. Wally and Guy. Guy and Barry. Any combination would be ok with me.

Personally, I'd go with Jay and Kilowog. :woot:

Might be kind of awkward since Tomar failed to keep Krypton from exploding. :o

The GL movie was faaaaaaaar below average.&you'd be wrong. The movie was a very exspensive failure. The animated series doesn't change that.

Your preposition was that John Stewart is always successful outside of comics, and Hal is not. By my count, John has only appeared once outside of his source material, and had his personality partially inspired by 1984-1994 Hal Jordan.

Hal has been successful in videogames, DTV films, his own TV series and has one failure in his live action film.

So the mainstream doesn't care about Hal? I'd agree. All the more reason to use another Lantern. Maybe one people might be inclined to care about.

The audience don't care about Green Lantern at all. WB made a bad film with bad marketing. Making him black won't make people go see a film when they've previously expressed disinterest.

I never said that Hal was always a failure. Just that he does have a colossal failure on his record where as John don't. That's fact. Also I'll add that on those old shows that used Hal, the entire JL had the same personality. The writing on JL & JLU trumps ALL of those shows that used Hal instead of John. Those shows had Hal and everybody else as boring, 1 note characters. JLU was faaaaaar better and more critically acclaimed. It had many in the mainstream asking why they used a white guy in the movie. I'd say that shows the mainstream cares more about John. We both KNOW & agree they don't care about Hal. The jury's still out on John. Thus there is no point in using Hal for another movie, GL or JL

Last edited:
I never said that Hal was always a failure. Just that he does have a colossal failure on his record where as John don't. That's fact. Also I'll add that on those old shows that used Hal, the entire JL had the same personality. The writing on JL & JLU trumps ALL of those shows that used Hal instead of John. Those shows had Hal and everybody else as boring, 1 note characters. JLU was faaaaaar better and more critically acclaimed. It had many in the mainstream asking why they used a white guy in the movie. I'd say that shows the mainstream cares more about John. We both KNOW & agree they don't care about Hal. The jury's still out on John. Thus there is no point in using Hal for another movie, GL or JL

1. The movie did not perform does not equal to colossal failure. it made 200 million. That means at least 20 million people watched it. Which means to these 20 million people (minus 1-2 million that have watched jlu) Hal Jordan is green lantern.
2. Also wrong. The entire Justice League do not have the same personality. John Stewart has the same personality as John jonzz.
Hal instead took Wally's place as the entertaining one and Barry added a new role which is the geeky one. Also no, Superman is not geeky when he is Superman that is his secret identity. But Barry is, as a scientist and fellow "nerd".

3. Lastly, no we dont know that mainstream dont care about Hal. In fact mainstream cares so much about Hal, Green lantern the animated series performed better than any other superhero animated series including young justice, earth's mightiest hero and ultimate spiderman. Dont believe? Go check the ratings yourself.

Last edited:
Which was based on Hal. So really what they are saying is, we want Hal Jordan from 1984-1994.

People say that but there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to back it up
1. The movie did not perform does not equal to colossal failure. it made 200 million. That means at least 20 million people watched it. Which means to these 20 million people (minus 1-2 million that have watched jlu) Hal Jordan is green lantern.
2. Also wrong. The entire Justice League do not have the same personality. John Stewart has the same personality as John jonzz.
Hal instead took Wally's place as the entertaining one and Barry added a new role which is the geeky one. Also no, Superman is not geeky when he is Superman that is his secret identity. But Barry is, as a scientist and fellow "nerd".

3. Lastly, no we dont know that mainstream dont care about Hal. In fact mainstream cares so much about Hal, Green lantern the animated series performed better than any other superhero animated series including young justice, earth's mightiest hero and ultimate spiderman. Dont believe? Go check the ratings yourself.
1. It cost 200 mil to make and got extremely negative reviews. It's a failure no matter what positive spin you try to put on it.
2. Pay attention. I was referring to the way they were on the old cartoons. I made that quite clear.
3. You made the claim. You back it up. Provide a link for this ratings data. I doubt it's getting better ratings than YJ. Avengers comes on a network that many don't have & USM is god awful
Besides every attempt to write the character in the comics. :o
Possibly true but completely irrelevant. We were talking about outside of comics. For live action film success we need it to appeal to the mainstream, not just comic readers

People say that but there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to back it up

There is when you know what you're talking about.

For live action film success we need it to appeal to the mainstream, not just comic readers

So, by your own admission then, you don't want John because you like his character. You want a different (superior) character in blackface, cool. Good reasoning for choosing John.

How can you draw that conclusion? Look at my post history on this subject in threads that you've posted in and then think b4 you post again. And saying you know what you're talking about is nothing compared to proving that you know what you're talking about

Last edited:
How can you draw that conclusion? Look at my post history on this subject in threads that you've posted in and then think b4 you post again. And saying you know what you're talking about is nothing compared to proving that you know what you're talking about

John stewart
Television
* Phil LaMarr reprised his role of John Stewart in the Static Shock episode "A League of Their Own." He and the Justice League call in Static and Gear in order to help fight Brainiac. In "Fallen Hero," John Stewart ends up attacking Dakota. It turns out that Sinestro orchestrated an event that resulted in Sinestro stealing John Stewart's battery source. Once this was found out, Static helped John Stewart defeat Sinestro and reclaim his battery source.

* John Stewart appears in the Young Justice animated series voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson. He appears as a member of the Justice League. In the one-hour pilot episode, "Independence Day", John is shown working with Hal to contain Blockbuster after he has been defeated by Aqualad, Superboy, Robin and Kid Flash as well as carrying the non-flying mentors Aquaman, Batman, and Black Canary. In episode "Alpha Male", John is shown helping to rebuild the Mount Justice after it is attacked by Red Torpedo and Red Inferno. In episode "Failsafe", a mind-training exercise conducted by Martian Manhunter, an illusory John and Hal are apparently vaporized by invading aliens. In episode "Agendas", John and Hal were convenes recruitment for the new Justice League members; he and Hal immediately dismiss the idea of adding Guy Gardner to the League. John is among the Leaguers brainwashed by Vandal Savage in "Usual Suspects" and "Auld Acquaintance". In "Alienated", as a result of his actions, he and several other members of the Justice League are forced to leave Earth and stand trail for hostile actions against alien planets that they committed while under Savage's control.

Video games
* John Stewart is a featured character in the video game Justice League Heroes, voiced by Michael Jai White.

* Stewart is also featured in Justice League: Injustice for All and Justice League: Chronicles.

* John Stewart appears in DC Universe Online, first voiced by Ken Thomas and now by George Washington III as a non-playable character.

Other appearances

* John Stewart was portrayed by Tim Meadows, wearing his Green Lantern: Mosaic costume, in a Saturday Night Live sketch inspired by the then-recent The Death of Superman comic storyline.

* John Stewart appears (alongside the Green Lantern Corps) in a non-spoken cameo role in the Duck Dodgers episode, "The Green Loontern".

Miscellaneous
* John Stewart has appeared in the Justice League Unlimited spin-off comic book.

Reception

IGN ranked John Stewart as the 55th greatest comic book hero of all time describing him as one of the first dominant African-American heroes in the pages of DC Comics; IGN also stated that John Stewart has gone from "semi-obscurity in the mainstream to absolute recognition" thanks to his starring role in the acclaimed Justice League cartoons.

This chat i found on another website.

youtube- hal jordan

He's overrated because fanboys (like you) automatically claim he's the best of the bunch just because he was the first human chosen by then guardians when truth is most of hals feats aren't all that great, rayner and stewart have better feats than jordan, more poteintal, and better character development hal is just your standard generic superhero.

Stewart = best will (exceeds the rings power), best flier in the corps, best constructs
Rayner= best imaginiation, innovative constructs.
marie90 in reply to pistolasdepolo (Show the comment) 1 month ago

I think when The Guardians claim you to be the; most powerful Green Lantern ever, and they actually disband you from the Corps because of that, makes you the best Green Lantern. Hal forever...

jOiSeYzDEVIL 1 month ago

hal got his but kick by john in green lantern mosaic.Anyway john is the best to me.
TheCell111 in reply to jOiSeYzDEVIL (Show the comment) 24 minutes ago

Hal is an overrated womanizing *****e bag that has personality of a dry towel, which is why his imagination his so limited, he mostly uses a constructed fist. Arisia's age had to be retconned, cause of Hal's stupid mistakes of having a relationship with a 17 year old girl, flirted with underage supergirl, and quit the corps on numerous occasions.

Most fans complained about his overly cocky character in the Justice League comics.

All other GL's are more intesting than Hal.
whatnow1204 in reply to jOiSeYzDEVIL (Show the comment) 2 weeks ago

What makes you think Hal's the best in terms of skills? As you know Hal doesn't really have impressive feats compared to Kyle and John.
It's weird that guardians claims that he's the best in terms of skills, and there's other GLC members that's far superior that has better capabilities than a human, which is illogical writing from an author, who's a Hal Jordan fanboy.

whatnow1204 in reply to pistolasdepolo (Show the comment) 2 weeks ago

source of the chat
Hal Jordan on Justice League Unlimited
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CiiPCePck

I Don't mind hal and the other earth lanterns,i like them all,but to me john is the one i like the best so he should be used in the next movies,but that's me.

Last edited:
I found a list of what John stewart has done in comics,and why he was chosen for the justice league cartoon.

John had key roles in the comics in the past 12 years and recently.
He killed mogo,ANYWAY HE has always played major roles,so someone saying he has not recently or in the past 12 years has got it wrong.

Here are some.

Sinestro Corps War

Trinity

Worlds Collide

Blackest Night

Brightest Day

War of the Green Lanterns

The most recent
The New 52

After Hal's expulsion and Kyle's departure, John Stewart joins Guy Gardner and others in investigating recent attacks in a distant sector of space, which are revealed to be the result of an old Guardian experiment. At one point, John is forced to kill another Lantern who was about to give in to torture and reveal the access codes to the Oan defence network. John is approached by the Alpha Lantern to arrest him for the murder of Green Lantern member. He is found guilty for this crime and sentenced to death. However Guy Gardner and other fellow lanterns free him before the execution, resulting in the destruction of the Alpha Lanterns when the Green Lanterns refuse to allow John to be executed (Although it is revealed to the reader that the Guardians set up these events as part of their plans to destroy the Corps).

Other versions

Superman: Red Son

He is a member of the Green Lantern Marine Corps in Superman: Red Son.

Justice

Anti-Matter Universe

John, known now as Power Ring, is shown to be a member of the anti-matter universe Crime Syndicate that attempts to kidnap Power Girl in JSA: Classified.

Flashpoint

Justice League Beyond

Justice League Beyond

The later years of the animated version of John Stewart are detailed in a flashback story in Justice League Beyond. It is revealed that sometime after the events of the series finale of JLU, Vixen was murdered by a vengeful Shadow Thief, forcing John to partner with Hawkgirl and Adam Strange in order to bring him to justice. John ultimately killed Shadow Thief via a gunshot wound to the skull, and was thus forced to resign from the Green Lantern Corps (with his ring later passing to a Chinese teenager named Kai-ro decades later). After retiring from the Justice League, he ended up marrying Shayera and together they had a child, Warhawk.

So folks should read here.

Re: $10 says we're now stuck with John Stewart as GL now

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/flat/201573603?p=2

Last edited:
So it looks like we will be seeing more of John stewart on main stream tv after all,not just the justice league cartoon.

He was seen outside of just the justice league cartoon.He was seen in static shock cartoon and young justice and other places.

For more of John stewart see below.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series

Development

Phil Kent, chairman and CEO of Time Warner's Turner Networks unit, originally announced that Green Lantern: The Animated Series would be a part of Cartoon Network's original programming. A preview of the show was featured at the 2010 New York Comic Con featuring test footage, characters/story description, and art work. Bruce Timm, who produced the entire DC Animated Universe, also announced at New York Comic Con that he'd be producing the show. A total of 26 episodes had been ordered for the first season. By the time of New York Comic Con, thirteen had already been planned, and five had already been recorded. The series is not intended to be an origin story, due to Warner Brothers already releasing a film based on the characters' origin. The series is the first television series by Bruce Timm to be rendered using CG. Green Lantern: The Animated Series is also the first time Green Lantern has been rendered in CG. The producers have confirmed that it was requested that the character Sinestro not be used. The producers also confirmed that if the series was a hit, other Lanterns like Guy Gardner, John Stewart and Kyle Rayner might be introduced.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series is an epic space adventure that has something for everyone, and we are delighted for fans to see it November 11 on Cartoon Network. We can’t wait to show the world this fresh take on an iconic hero—one that represents not only the first Bruce Timm series to be produced in CG, but also the first time Green Lantern has been rendered in CG.
— Sam Register

Last edited:
I just watched the new episode of GLAS and it had Hal and Guy together...

Really good episode.

I found a list of what John stewart has done in comics,and why he was chosen for the justice league cartoon.

John had key roles in the comics in the past 12 years and recently.
He killed mogo,ANYWAY HE has always played major roles,so someone saying he has not recently or in the past 12 years has got it wrong.

Here are some.

Sinestro Corps War

Hal beat Sinestro and Parallax

Trinity

In which he spends the entire story dying because of Krona.

Worlds Collide

Blackest Night

Hal beat Nekron as well as founding the White Lantern Corps.

Brightest Day

Hal Jordan was the main Green Lantern storyline investigating the kidnapping of the emotional entities leading into the next story....

War of the Green Lanterns

Where it's Hal who saves the day again. By overcoming the rings built in limitations and straight up murdering the most powerful guardian, Krona.

The most recent
The New 52

After Hal's expulsion and Kyle's departure, John Stewart joins Guy Gardner and others in investigating recent attacks in a distant sector of space, which are revealed to be the result of an old Guardian experiment. At one point, John is forced to kill another Lantern who was about to give in to torture and reveal the access codes to the Oan defence network. John is approached by the Alpha Lantern to arrest him for the murder of Green Lantern member. He is found guilty for this crime and sentenced to death. However Guy Gardner and other fellow lanterns free him before the execution, resulting in the destruction of the Alpha Lanterns when the Green Lanterns refuse to allow John to be executed (Although it is revealed to the reader that the Guardians set up these events as part of their plans to destroy the Corps).

Hal in the New 52 is considered one of only two barriers to the GLc being destroyed by the Guardians. The other barrier is not John Stewart I'm afraid. It's Sinestro. Hence the guardians direct handling of the two of them.

Other versions

Superman: Red Son

He is a member of the Green Lantern Marine Corps in Superman: Red Son.
Hal Jordan is in Red Son as well.

Justice

Hal is the main Green Lantern for this story. Beings as it revolves around the Satellite Justice League.

Anti-Matter Universe

John, known now as Power Ring, is shown to be a member of the anti-matter universe Crime Syndicate that attempts to kidnap Power Girl in JSA: Classified.

This Power Ring doesn't exist anymore. He was replaced with a Hal Jordan analogue.

Flashpoint

Where he dies almost instantly. Hal makes the final assault on the Amazons and Atlanteans possible.

Justice League Beyond

The later years of the animated version of John Stewart are detailed in a flashback story in Justice League Beyond. It is revealed that sometime after the events of the series finale of JLU, Vixen was murdered by a vengeful Shadow Thief, forcing John to partner with Hawkgirl and Adam Strange in order to bring him to justice. John ultimately killed Shadow Thief via a gunshot wound to the skull, and was thus forced to resign from the Green Lantern Corps (with his ring later passing to a Chinese teenager named Kai-ro decades later). After retiring from the Justice League, he ended up marrying Shayera and together they had a child, Warhawk.

Reception

IGN ranked John Stewart as the 55th greatest comic book hero of all time describing him as one of the first dominant African-American heroes in the pages of DC Comics; IGN also stated that John Stewart has gone from "semi-obscurity in the mainstream to absolute recognition" thanks to his starring role in the acclaimed Justice League cartoons.

Hal Jordan was ranked 7th on IGN's Top 100 Comic Book Heroes in 2011.[2]

So folks should read here.

Re: $10 says we're now stuck with John Stewart as GL now

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/board/flat/201573603?p=2

Doubtful. The person who leaked the story about Will Beall's script said Hal Jordan is Green Lantern in the film.

responses underlined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"