Human torch ongoing series?

IronSpidy

Civilian
Reaction score
Would it work? I hope so but the way The Thing's series is going I have my doubts.What are your thoughts?

IronSpidy said:
Would it work? I hope so but the way The Thing's series is going I have my doubts.What are your thoughts?

Ditto.

The members of the Fantastic Four and X-Men are just not cut out to have long lasting solo books (excluding ****everine). They aren't like the Avengers, who are cut out for solo titles.

Ha! The Avengers are basically characters who cant hold their own titles. Even the big three (Cap, IM and Thor) have constantly had to cancel and reboot. BTW, a Human Torch on-going happened about three years ago, as part of the Tsunami imprint. With the exception of Runaways and New Mutants (which got a reboot under the New X-men title), the entire imprint was a flop and everything was cancelled.

Mystique was under that and kept on trucking?

That reminds me....I shoud find trades.

Mystique ran longer than any of the otehrs, but ended with #24
IronSpidy said:
Would it work? I hope so but the way The Thing's series is going I have my doubts. What are your thoughts?
are you saying that because you're acknowledging the low sales, or because you don't like the book?

IronSpidy said:

They already had one not that long ago; wasn't it under the Tsunami line??? Anyway, it really wasn't that good. (And, sadly, even when you have an excellent series, like The Thing, as pointed out, it just doesn't seem to be in demand.)

Maybe they need to try and do a Marvel Comics Presents type format...or, something like Tales To Astonish.

I actually liked th' last Torch series. Didn't care fer th' art, but found it kinda good. Actually, I liked all th' Tsunami titles except Venom. Dunno why they never took...

Anyways, th' Thing series is just fine an' dandy, it even rivals th' older one. Why nobody buys it is beyond me. Seems like if it don't have a Spider or an X it don't sell regardless of quality.

Elijya said:
Mystique ran longer than any of the otehrs, but ended with #24

are you saying that because you're acknowledging the low sales, or because you don't like the book?
I say this slowly because of the sales. Im a fan and have all the issues...

Most characters could have good solo books, but it's the sales that determine it's success. Y'know, if Marvel didn't have a hundred X-Books a month and spread that talent amongst the rest of it's line, everything would balance out more.

Th' X-Books don't have th' best talent right now. Th' best talent is all on these other books, but people just ain't buyin' 'em.

Aren't the X-Books gonna have Brubaker, Billy Tan, Mike Carey and Chris Bachalo on them? Not to mention Whedon/Cassiday on Astonishing. I personally would love the there to be just two X-titles: Uncanny X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. They should have a Xavier Institue in LA and have the Astonishing Crew be there and leave the Uncanny crew in NY. No to mention there should only be one Spider-title: Amazing Spider-Man written by Robert Kirkman and art by either Ron Garney, Steve Skroce or Brett Booth.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
I wouldn't necessarily call Bachalo "talent".

When he's not so out there he's a very talented artist. Sometimes the "artist" in him goes alittle overboard.

Sorry, but when I compare Generation X #1 to his Age of Apocalypse mini, talent is th' LAST thing that comes to mind.

Well, probably another sad fact is that Dan Slott isn't going to sell a comic as well as someone like Wheadon or Bendis. Marvel doesn't sell Slott like they should. And, since Slott hasn't done the big name books, like X-Men, he's more a fan favorite of select little groups, like ours.

(Now, one thing Slott does have for him, I would bet that we'd pop over to DC if he ever jumped ship, more than anyone else Marvel currently has working for them. Hmmm...Slott on Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew...I'd buy it.)

If you put the smaller names on the higher selling books and the bigger names on the smaller selling books it should even out. Books like X-Men and Spider-man sell regardless. Give them to the newbies and call it a proving ground.

They won't do that. They'll only give th' big books to big guys 'cause those are th' major leagues. Smaller writers will get smaller books with little to no promotional support. Meanwhile, I still see Spidey an' X-Men wherever I go....

Look at Daredevil as an example. He sold enough to stay afloat in the 90's and then Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada was put on the book and it sold through the roof. Now you're telling me that if you put Mark Millar and Steve McNiven on a Luke Cage/Iron Fist book it won't sell. Concurrently if you give Dan Slott or Robert Kirkman a book like Spider-Man or X-Men, which seem to sell well no matter who is on it, you give fans a chance to check out talent they normally wouldn't give a chance. This, in turn, builds your next generation of talent allowing them to become stars as well and then when they want to do their She-Hulk or Marvel Team Ups they will sell well. It's just doing good business.

Oh, I get what yer sayin' an' I didn't disagree, but that's now how Marvel thinks.

Yeah, I know. Sad isn't it. Imagine if they put Joss Whedon & John Cassiday on Champions or Robert Kirkman & Mike Wieringo on Amazing Spider-man.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
I wouldn't necessarily call Bachalo "talent".

I'd call it downright crap....He must be quesada's Nephew or something.....or have incriminating pictures of him and Kevin Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"