Hurt talks Iron Man/Hulk!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1579965/story.jhtml

Sounds like he has a case of Dusnt Syndrome which causes loose lips. LOL

"I have a scene with Iron Man, with Robert Downey Jr.," the Oscar-winning actor told MTV News Friday at the Sundance Film Festival. "It's a funky scene."
For those who haven't heard the news, superhero house Marvel Comics is aggressively cross-pollinating its superheroes, most likely in preparation for an eventual "Avengers" movie. That means Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury will make a cameo appearance in this summer's "Iron Man," and ol' metalhead himself will drop into "Hulk." Little has been said about the scene — until now.
"I don't know how it'll work," Hurt admitted, saying it was a thrill to appear as General Thaddeus Ross during Downey's scene. "I know it's weird [to work with a character from another movie], and to know it's a device. We did something; I don't know what that's going to be like [to watch]."

I put in spoiler tags for those who don't know...this is a uhhh spoiler. LOL

By the way guys please join my facebook group in the link below where I also posted this story.

Damn! MTV did it again! They've been delivering some great stuff when it comes to the superhero movies of 2008.

So General Ross has a scene with Tony Stark! William Hurt and Robert Downey Jr.!! Can't wait!

William Hurt:heart:

lol These people are so careless.
But, this doesn't top Dunst blowing the villains.

Nice find.

At least the rumor was already out there. I seriously doubt Hurt was thinking when he said that. Unless of course this is Marvel's way of starting the hype in a subtle way. Creating more positive buzz online.

Great find as usual, AD.

I just laugh when I read these things... tickled to death, I suppose, over the things I'm reading about TIH, but more the glee/merriment that a little boy has on Christmas morning or when he gets 20 packs of baseball cards.

The part I find wonderfully interesting is:
The script penned by Norton (along with writer Zak Penn) "has to do with the fact that [Banner's] conscience still exists in a body that is a manifestation of power and is greater than his own ability to control it — and how he's learning that relationship," said the veteran actor, who can currently be seen in the awards-season favorite "Into the Wild." "Because that's what's happening to us. That's the central metaphor for all of us, that we're learning these powers — technological powers, whatever — that we don't know if we have enough conscience to control in a wise way yet. And that's what he's doing. ..."
I just find this profoundly applicable/relevant to our times and can't wait to see it fleshed out in the movie. In the two bolded sentences, there's just so much substance... I wouldn't even know where to begin. And hearing it come from William Hurt is the cherry on top.

Also kind of curious as to his statement that "[Marvel] has a lot of guts" and thrilled by the fact that Marvel allowed them so much freedom/flexibility in lieu of TIH being such a big-budget movie, per the last two paragraphs of the article. I think that - the freedom for creative expression, to experiment with different ideas, etc. - is key to just about anything in life. I would say Ang Lee took liberty to do that with the jellyfish, lichen, camera wipes and whatnot - and it resonated with at least a few of us - but overall, I got the feeling that he was backed into a corner, pressured perhaps, or even suffocated into making the 'perfect' Hulk movie. I don't get that feeling with TIH.

More great news for the optimists of us, nonetheless. :up:

Great interview. I like the fact that Hurt is also a Hulk fan and everything he said about the movie sounds positive.

this truly does sound like edward nortons movie! sure its action packed but im expecting some great dialogue and acting from nortons part!!

"That Abomination was the one who was killing for just the joy of killing; Hulk is not the one."

DOES THIS SHUT EVERYONE WHO DIDN'T WANT HIM TO BE A KILLER UP!?

-pant pant- Sorry guys, I participated in that debate for lord knows how many pages.

"relationship between Hulk and a world that realizes he's not the villain," Hurt said. "Hulk and [Tyler's Betty Ross] have their moment, and the crowd realizes he's not the bad guy."

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!

"Hurt said Norton worked hard behind the camera to keep the new flick from either becoming too cerebral or falling back on a "Hulk! Smash!" mentality"

Score one for Norton!

"has to do with the fact that [Banner's] conscience still exists in a body that is a manifestation of power and is greater than his own ability to control it — and how he's learning that relationship,"

My god, my hype level is rising! God bless you Hurt, god freaking bless you.

This article made the expectation for the film's overall quality sky high. Whoa that ending that he spoiled, sounds very good.

Big fat spoiler, but this is sounding more and more like the perfect Hulk movie.

"relationship between Hulk and a world that realizes he's not the villain," Hurt said. "Hulk and [Tyler's Betty Ross] have their moment, and the crowd realizes he's not the bad guy."

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!

It just occurred to me that they pretty much have to do this to set up his involvement in the Avengers.

The article's previous statement...

Unlike Ang Lee, director Louis Leterrier (the "Transporter" films) is intent on laying off the "Hulk as misunderstood monster" angle, thereby making him more heroic.

Being a "misunderstood monster" is a big part of the character. I hope they don't avoid it altogether. In fact I think it would be pretty cool if there was a progression of the public's opinion from monster to hero.

Everyone is thinking... this leads to the avengers

I look at it a different way this leads to Hulk vs Iron Man

Face it man Toney is the bigger anti hero... he is a military contract man.... thats why he is there talking to General Ross

Cause he is the new solution to the problem that is the Hulk

two heroes can face off against one another and the crowd can love it

proof is in Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior... I know it is a corny example but it is the truth...and good example of an audience buying it and loving every moment of it

Being a "misunderstood monster" is a big part of the character. I hope they don't avoid it altogether. In fact I think it would be pretty cool if there was a progression of the public's opinion from monster to hero.

Doesn't seem like they are since he was talking about the end. Not to mention
...ah I'll put it in spoiler tags since we are talking about endings..

That it is just that one crowd whom realizes he is heroic. The crowd that was being terrorized. I highly doubt the general public (in the movie-verse) will view him anything short as the lesser of two evils, sort of like when Godzilla comes in and kicks another monsters butt.

We know for a fact the military won't leave him alone in sequels still seeing him as a threat.

I just think that they want to play up the heroism a bit more, which as you said they'd have to do for the Avengers film eventually.

Either way I am sure we can expect him to be a misunderstood monster throughout most of the movie.

Everyone is thinking... this leads to the avengers

I look at it a different way this leads to Hulk vs Iron Man

Face it man Toney is the bigger anti hero... he is a military contract man.... thats why he is there talking to General Ross

Cause he is the new solution to the problem that is the Hulk

two heroes can face off against one another and the crowd can love it

proof is in Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior... I know it is a corny example but it is the truth...and good example of an audience buying it and loving every moment of it

You know, you could be right. But, really wasn't that the beginning of the Avengers anyway? (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) But I thought Hulk was enlisted because they viewed him as a threat and went after him etc. etc.?

There was also the mention of Hulk:Gray, a limited series featuring (among other things) a Hulk-Iron Man fight, being one the comics that LL found inspiration from...

Things that make you say "hmmm...."

They are definitely setting up The Avengers b/c that concept has so much more potential than just Iron Man vs. Hulk.

And I'm glad that The Avengers project is moving forward. Batman is my favourite superhero hands down but let's face it: The Avengers > JLA

But The Avengers has to have a quality cast just like the Iron Man and Hulk solo movies have. Otherwise it's just going to be LXG2... but I kinda doubt that for example Downey jr would be interested in playing Stark after the Iron Man trilogy. And that's a pity b/c The Avengers deserve more than just B-list director and B-list actors. If they are going to this, they better do it right.

I believe it was John Faveau that said he was interested in directing an Avengers movie, but only if the actors from the individual movies returned. Hopefully Marvel feels the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"