Iron Man vs. Hulk JOINT sequel instead of Iron Man 2 and Hulk 2?

spideymouse

Sidekick
Reaction score
note: I've posted this in some of the comment boxes in the main superherohype website, but i wanted to get some feedback. I also posted this in the Iron Man 2 board.

What do you all think of an "Iron Man vs. Hulk" movie to be a 2010 "joint sequel" for the two 2008 movies instead of just Iron Man 2? I know it's only shown up in the comics a few times, but how cool would the Hulkbuster armor look on the big screen? Also, Robert Downey Jr. and Ed Norton squaring off and headlining an amazing supporting cast of Gwyneth Paltrow, Liv Tyler, Terrence Howard, William Hurt, Tim Blake Nelson, Ty Burrell, and Sammy Jackson would rock our socks off.

An Iron Man vs. Hulk movie in 2010 (or 2011; i totally think they should take more time to make this movies good) would totally gear up even more for The Avengers, it would solve some problems of where these two movies left off and each hero's lack of great villains (see below). It would also better concretely establish Marvel movies as a universe, as that is the trend so far. It would also provide some material and history for the Avengers movie (imagine Hulk and Iron Man looking at each other with rolled eyes, "here we go again" or something).

Problem with Iron Man solo sequel (lack of great villains):
While Iron Man lacks great villains besides the Mandarin, his relationship with the U.S. government and S.H.I.E.L.D. (especially these days in comics) and his taking responsibility for his role in military activities is a much more intriguing aspect of his character. You'd think that the
Nick Fury post-credits scene necessitates Sam Jackson's reappearance in Iron Man 2.

Problem with Hulk solo sequel (lack of good villains, continuity):
The new Hulk movie left us anticipating a perhaps smarter or controlled Hulk (gray Mr. Fixit?) and The Leader, but what many and most moviegoers will remember is Stark's involvement with General Ross at the end. If a Hulk sequel does not involve Iron Man, most people will go, "WTF where's Iron Man?"
Also, like Iron Man, Hulk also does not boast many great villains (besides the obvious future involvement of the Leader).

Problem with movie continuity (Iron Man 2 before The Avengers):
There are now two Iron Man clips directly referencing the Avengers: the post-credits scene in Iron Man, and the last scene in The Incredible Hulk. It follows continuity that an Iron Man sequel would be about what happens after Nick Fury approaches him about the Avenger Initiative and what happens after his conversation with Ross about "putting a team together."
In other words, can you have an Iron Man sequel that doesn't have anything to do with the Avengers after those two clips? If they went off and did a Mandarin, War Machine, Armor Wars, or Demon in a Bottle story, moviegoers would wonder, "what about the Avenger Initiative that Sam Jackson talked about after the credits?" or "what about that team he was talking about at the end of the Hulk movie?"

Side note: Of course, we don't know the timeframe of when the Ross/Stark conversation happens. If it takes place after the Iron Man sequel and right before the Avengers movie, then all this doesn't matter.

In the meanwhile, I'm speculating that the timeframe is this: Iron Man -> Nick Fury scene -> Incredible Hulk & Ross/Stark conversation -> Iron Man 2 -> Avengers
...The odd one out is Iron Man 2 unless it somehow gears up for the Avengers even more; an Iron Man/Hulk joint sequel would accomplish just that.

I think a good plot for this movie would be to go right off of the last scene of TIH with Stark challenging Ross to also take responsibility for his own career but also offering his help. What's intriguing about Iron Man vs. Hulk is that they're both heroes but sort of on opposite sides of the military (Stark approached Ross at the end, not Banner). Stark, Ross (Army), Rhodes (Air Force or War Machine), and S.H.I.E.L.D. could enlist the help of Sam Sterns (the ambitious but not-yet Leader) and Doc Samson to work on a way to fight or abate any threat the Hulk might pose. Meanwhile, Banner is just trying to lead a semi-normal life, perhaps doubling as the gray Joe Fixit version or something. Iron Man and co. find and capture Banner, each with different intentions: Ross and Sterns want exploit him, Doc Samson wants to analyze and treat him, and Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. want to recruit him. Cue Stark/Banner debates and arguments--i would love to see Downey and Banner totally go at it: "Mr. Stark, don't make me angry, you wouldn't like it when--" "Oh, calm down and have a drink."
Consequently, Hulk wouldn't be too thrilled about everything and maybe he's angry about Banner's ability to control him. Cue huge Hulk/Iron Man/Army battle, which comes to a standstill and leaves Stark wondering if he's on the right side. Sterns uses this opportunity to try and take over the government as The Leader, with some dubious plan to gain power (possible using Banner's blood samples and/or Iron Man's technology to create an army of Hulkbusters?), and Hulk and Iron Man have to team up to fight them off and defeat the Leader.

Okay, after re-reading everything I wrote, I realize I'm not much of a writer, and although the idea may be cool, I don't know if there's a good enough story for it. Also, any Iron Man sequel begs for a whole lot more of RDJ than I've given it in my plot synopsis.

Anyway, what do you all think?

EDIT: Look, other fans also want to see something like this happen, and agree that Hulk and Iron Man generally have crappy villains: http://forums.superherohype.com/sear...archid=4318990

you have some really good ideas and i would love to see the whole marvel team up, but.......................

Marvel will never do this because they want to keep all the characters solo except for an avenegers movie. Really some great ideas goin there

Most likely the Avengers are gonna square off against the Hulk so this Iron Man/Hulk movie defeats that purpose

Since this current Hulk movie isn't doing so great, I really believe that a sequel needs to have Hulk battle another superhero, namely Spiderman.

Why?

Well, Iron Man can't battle him as they will probably fight in the Avengers movie if and when Hulk fights the Avengers team. But Spiderman, he would be perfect. Wolverine could be okay too, but Spiderman is much more popular and could draw alot more people hence, alot more money. So a nice 5 minute or so battle with Spiderman could bring in hundreds of millions of dollars for a Hulk sequel. If only they could have done this with this 08 Hulk movie, the money it would have made thus far and would go on to make for it's entire run and dvd sales.... :csad:

Doesnt sound bad. I would rather want this instead of an Avengers film with the Hulk in it but thats another topic for another post of mine.

Since this current Hulk movie isn't doing so great, I really believe that a sequel needs to have Hulk battle another superhero, namely Spiderman.

Why?

Well, Iron Man can't battle him as they will probably fight in the Avengers movie if and when Hulk fights the Avengers team. But Spiderman, he would be perfect. Wolverine could be okay too, but Spiderman is much more popular and could draw alot more people hence, alot more money. So a nice 5 minute or so battle with Spiderman could bring in hundreds of millions of dollars for a Hulk sequel. If only they could have done this with this 08 Hulk movie, the money it would have made thus far and would go on to make for it's entire run and dvd sales.... :csad:

does anyone even pay attention to the whole rights debacle? no spidey, no x-men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"