I just about hit a bicyclist today.

Hopefully this lesson will teach you to actually pay attention to the road, instead of humming along, thinking everything will work out splendidly...

There was nothing to teach me. I was the one who followed proper procedure.

The bicyclist was the one who was a dumb-arse.

Depending on the stories...you very well could have been at fault had you hit him, as he was, by your admission, almost past you when you would have turned into him. Sounds to me like both of you would have been in the wrong a fair portion had an accident occurred. I'm glad no one was injured.

But one assumes you would have your turn signal on at least a hundred yards out if you're making a right handed turn. That allows bicyclists who may be passing to see if you are going to change lanes or direction.

That said, there's a reason it's called "defensive driving". You need to check where you're turning and what's around you constantly.

And I do that.

I'm not the kind of driver who, withing a foot of turning then turns on his signal lights.

I always give advance notice of my intentions.

He was just a stupid individual.

You probably only looked left to make sure no one was coming from that side, didn't look right to see if there were pedestrians or bicyclists crossing the street. That's what happened to me a few years ago, was at a stop light on my bike waiting to cross the street, light turned green I started to cross the street and a driver that didn't look right to see if anyone was crossing the street just started to turn and ran me over. I was fine, but my bike was destroyed, I was nice enought to not file a police report just got his name and number so I could tell him how much it would be to repair the bike. Got the estimate and called a couple times, never getting an answer, the third time I tried calling the phone was disconnected.

No. My way was perfectly clear and the bicyclist had come up from behind me as I was making the turn.

It's good that you were uninjured.

You would have been at fault, UA. I know you think a driver "shouldn't have to" check over their shoulder, but according to law they do. That bicyclist, from the sound of things, had the right of way.

You should be more careful.

There is no where to look over your shoulder when you're in the right hand lane.

If I was in the middle lane, then I would have had to shoulder check.

Stoopid cyclists need to get back onto the pavement.

Also be glad you haven't nailed a horse. I have and its surreal and dangerous. But retrospectively hilarious.

I was just about to make a right hand turn, when a bicyclist went by on my right hand side. Had it been just a fraction of a second sooner or later, he would have been a very hurting individual.

Next time, I'm opening the passanger door. :twisted:

From my experience, most bicyclists don't follow basic traffic rules and shouldn't even be allowed anywhere near a road that is shared with cars. Is it too much to require a simple road test before they get to ride outside of bike paths?

Actually I wouldn't have been at fault.

I talked to a traffic cop and his position that if I was turning right and the bicyclist had come from behind me and passed me on my right and that caused him to eat pavement, he would have been considered responsible.

Look, I agree what he did was pretty stupid. But while it may have been true that the cyclist would be be deemed partially or totally liable, good luck taking "He was a stupid invidual" to an insurance company, or to court. What a cop says about who is at fault is their best guess, and hardly set in stone. Good luck taking that to an insurance company if you've injured someone.

Last edited:
Look, I agree what he did was pretty stupid. But while it may have been true that the cyclist would be be deemed partially or totally liable, good luck taking "He was a stupid invidual" to an insurance company, or to court. What a cop says about who is at fault is their best guess, and hardly set in stone. Good luck taking that to an insurance company if you've injured someone.

In the insurance eyes, the party that is held liable under the law is the first consideration.

There was nothing to teach me. I was the one who followed proper procedure.

The bicyclist was the one who was a dumb-arse.

Everyone automatically assumes they did the right thing in situations like these. Therefore, you most likely aren't painting an objective picture of the situation as it was...

In the insurance eyes, the party that is held liable under the law is the first consideration.

And in insurance, they're not just going to listen to one person's story, either.

Sounds to me like he's just an arrogant driver who automatically thinks bikers are inferior and shouldn't be on the road.

I've had cyclists do that many times to me.
It's true that they are to follow the rules of the road, and if they did, in fact, try to pass you on the right while your indicator was on (and had been on before he started his pass) then he technically would be at fault.

The problem is that many (dare I say most) people that ride bicycles have no clue that they are supposed to be following the same rules as other vehicles.
Many ride on sidewalks, ride against traffic, make illeagal turns, lane changes and don't pass on the left when other vehicles are making right hand turns.

Considering the above it's always, ALWAYS in your best interest to check every possible situation before continuing a turn. If you hit a cyclist, you may not be at fault, but if they are seriously injured or killed would not being at fault really be any comfort to you.

Sounds to me like he's just an arrogant driver who automatically thinks bikers are inferior and shouldn't be on the road.

I used to ride a bicycle on the road 365 days/year, so I know how drivers will often treat them and I don't treat bicycles as if they are in my way.

If that bicyclist was beside me when I wanted to turn, I would have slowed down enough so he could pass me, but that wasn't the situation.

But many bicyclists do act as idiots and think they can ride anywhere they fit.

Everyone automatically assumes they did the right thing in situations like these. Therefore, you most likely aren't painting an objective picture of the situation as it was...

I'm not claiming to be objective, but I am claiming that guy came up behind me when I attempted a turn.

It's true that they are to follow the rules of the road, and if they did, in fact, try to pass you on the right while your indicator was on (and had been on before he started his pass) then he technically would be at fault.

It's just not that simple. Fair or not, you're still required, as a driver, to maintain a decent lookout in order to help avoid accidents. There's very much a potential split liability to this situation, fair or not.

I'm not claiming to be objective, but I am claiming that guy came up behind me when I attempted a turn.

Behind you or beside you? Because if he came up behind you, why would you have struck him?

It's just not that simple. Fair or not, you're still required, as a driver, to maintain a decent lookout in order to help avoid accidents. There's very much a potential split liability to this situation, fair or not.

Behind you or beside you? Because if he came up behind you, why would you have struck him?

Because he passed me as I was going into my turn. There was no attempt by him to stop and wait for me to turn. Any other vehicle following me would have stopped and waited for me to finish my turn before continuing, at the very least because it's impossible for another car to do that.

Had he tried to pass me just a fraction of a second earlier, he would have struck the side of my vehicle and had he tried to pass me just a fraction of a second afer, I probably would have struck him.

I was just about to make a right hand turn, when a bicyclist went by on my right hand side. Had it been just a fraction of a second sooner or later, he would have been a very hurting individual.

Next time, I'm opening the passenger door. :twisted:

Good job.

You should of run him over, chucked him in the boot and drove off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"