I just about hit a bicyclist today.

Please tell me you had your turn signal on before turning. If it was on, the bicyclist is an idiot for trying to pass you. If your signal was off, maybe you should remember that there are other people on the road.

I'm a cyclist myself, and I've about gotten hit several times. Most drivers seem to have no regard for anyone on a bike.. it's ridiculous.

My point is simply a safety thing.

When I rode my bicycle year round, I knew enough to never trust that driver could see me. If I approached any kind of intersection that a driver could turn right, I always made sure I was not in harm's way or that I knew the driver could see me. Many drivers can't see bicyclists and some don't care if they do hit them.
The_More_You_Know.jpg

:huh:

I doubt you sinceerely mean that.

Of course I mean it.

I tend to not feel sorry for people who do stupid things and hurt themselves, when they should have known better.

But I would't have bragged about having seriously hurt somebody or killed somebody.

I even wrote a letter to my local newspaper, though they haven't printed it yet, if they will.

I'm a cyclist myself, and I've about gotten hit several times. Most drivers seem to have no regard for anyone on a bike.. it's ridiculous.

For most, it's not that they don't care, but that drivers simply cannot see them. Many bicyclists tend to blend in with the background and they often drive erratically, switching lanes quickly, and without care to their own safety.

Although I know, from experience myself, that some drivers are hostile to bicyclists, but most aren't.

Please tell me you had your turn signal on before turning. If it was on, the bicyclist is an idiot for trying to pass you. If your signal was off, maybe you should remember that there are other people on the road.

Of course it was on. I'm not the kind to drive without signals.

No.

I was making a right hand turn and the guy whizzed by me just as I was starting the turn.

As I said, had it happened a fraction of a second earlier or later, he would have been eating pavement.

You seem awfully braggy about the situation. :huh:

Oh the effort in turning your head for half a second :whatever:

I was in the turning lane. I shouldn't have to do a shoulder check, expecting somebody to pass me in a turning lane.

That bicyclist should be expecting somebody turning in a turnng lane and not put himself in harm's way. Oh the effort in waiting a second for somebody to turn!

I was in the turning lane. I shouldn't have to do a shoulder check, expecting somebody to pass me in a turning lane.

That bicyclist should be expecting somebody turning in a turnng lane and not put himself in harm's way. Oh the effort in waiting a second for somebody to turn!
Well they you must be a horrible driver. Because with that philosophy you "shouldn't" have to expect that someone might run a red light and hit you. You "shouldn't" have to expect someone running a stop sign, cutting you off, pedestrian coming out of nowhere ect ect.

Well they you must be a horrible driver. Because with that philosophy you "shouldn't" have to expect that someone might run a red light and hit you. You "shouldn't" have to expect someone running a stop sign, cutting you off, pedestrian coming out of nowhere ect ect.

Pedestrians are different, because you almost always have the time to adjust to them, also they typically don't just jump in front of the vehicle without you having time to react.

However, that's not alway the case with bicyclists, I'm finding. Many think that they can just do the things they do, without warning and expect drivers to adjust immediately without worry.

However, even assuming that I was the absolute worst driver in the world, which is far from the case, a bicyclist still needs to be mainly responsible for his own safety because he's going to lose, his fault or not.

While I agree that bicyclists should always watch for cars and such, the breakdown goes like this.

Pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists, truck drivers. Smallest to largest, and the more damage YOU can do to someone else, the more YOU need to pay attention, regardless of what mode of transportation you're using. Remember, you must be smart, assume everyone else is an idiot.

While I agree that bicyclists should always watch for cars and such, the breakdown goes like this.

Pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists, truck drivers. Smallest to largest, and the more damage YOU can do to someone else, the more YOU need to pay attention, regardless of what mode of transportation you're using. Remember, you must be smart, assume everyone else is an idiot.

Hey I watch as much as possible, but you cannot really prepare to make a right-hand turn, in a turning lane and have somebody without care just drive right by you as you begin to turn.

I understand where you're coming from but it's not that big of a deal to turn your head. Maybe the bicyclist didn't even know it was a turn lane? :huh: Like Ferret said, always assume people are idiots and are going to make the bad decisions.

Hey I watch as much as possible, but you cannot really prepare to make a right-hand turn, in a turning lane and have somebody without care just drive right by you as you begin to turn.

I understand where you're coming from but it's not that big of a deal to turn your head. Maybe the bicyclist didn't even know it was a turn lane? :huh: Like Ferret said, always assume people are idiots and are going to make the bad decisions.

I believe Exploding Boy said all I was going to. Thank you EB.

Umm, it's quite obvious with the turning arrows and such.

Yes, I know all drivers, including myself, are idiots in their own unique ways, but bicyclists tend to be worse.

I believe Exploding Boy said all I was going to. Thank you EB.
No Problem :dew:

UA-Archangel said:
Umm, it's quite obvious with the turning arrows and such.

Yes, I know all drivers, including myself, are idiots in their own unique ways, but bicyclists tend to be worse.

Welllll just turn your head and don't kill anyone :cmad:

No.

Drivers shouldn't have to shoulder check when they're in a turning lane making a turn, because some bicyclist has a death wish.

Announcer: That's why the automobile industry invented... side and rear-view mirrors. :up:

Little Susie: Side and rear view whatsiwhats? :huh:

Announcer: Side and rear-view mirrors. In most automobiles, a side mirror is located outside both the driver and passenger doors, whereas the rear-view mirror is located in the center of the vehicle before the front window pane, usually a glance above eye-level.

Little Susie: Wow! I never heard of those before! :wow:

Announcer: [chuckles]Don't you fret, dear Little Susie. You may wish to know where you can find these state-of-the-art, technologically advanced gizmos; well, if you have purchased any vehicle in, say, the past eighty years or so, your automobile may already be equipped with them.

Little Susie: Oooooohhhhhhh.....

Announcer: [chuckles] Yes indeed. And remember, if you don't check your mirrors before changing lanes... you, the driver, are at fault and will be penalized.

So remember, kids... always check your mirrors... even if you would rather run over the victim repeatedly because you think you did nothing wrong :up:

[Thus concludes this Public Service Announcement, brought to you by Logic-- a subsidiary of Common Sense.]

i hate bicyclists.

they think they own the road.

Announcer: That's why the automobile industry invented... side and rear-view mirrors. :up:

Little Susie: Side and rear view whatsiwhats? :huh:

Announcer: Side and rear-view mirrors. In most automobiles, a side mirror is located outside both the driver and passenger doors, whereas the rear-view mirror is located in the center of the vehicle before the front window pane, usually a glance above eye-level.

Little Susie: Wow! I never heard of those before! :wow:

Announcer: [chuckles]Don't you fret, dear Little Susie. You may wish to know where you can find these state-of-the-art, technologically advanced gizmos; well, if you have purchased any vehicle in, say, the past eighty years or so, your automobile may already be equipped with them.

Little Susie: Oooooohhhhhhh.....

Announcer: [chuckles] Yes indeed. And remember, if you don't check your mirrors before changing lanes... you, the driver, are at fault and will be penalized.

So remember, kids... always check your mirrors... even if you would rather run over the victim repeatedly because you think you did nothing wrong :up:

[Thus concludes this Public Service Announcement, brought to you by Logic-- a subsidiary of Common Sense.]

Sure. I'll also get a mirror that looks up in the sky, just in case a helicopter is landing in the spot I am moving into as well.

Maybe I should get a mirror that shows what's happening underneath my car as well, just in case a tunnel boring maching is coming up from the ground.

Simply put, if I'm not at fault than I don't have to care if I had killed the bicyclist or not.

And I wouldn't have been at fault.

Its so frustrating when they're in the middle of the road and you cant go around them :cmad:

I did that as well, and it's necessary.

My experience, while bicycling, was that I could ride right two inches to the curb and some drivers still thought I had to much room.

It's better to make drivers go into the next lane to get around you if the road is busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"