I Just Found $400...

I would just go with the theory that she was nuts, and leave it at that. Makes it easier to just forget about it.

I wouldn't discount factors of mental anguish/illness, stress, extreme unusual sickness over a long period of time(ie not the usual flu kind of thing) all playing a part in a person acting in a way that would seem unthinkable to them under more normal circumstances.
But of course there are other factors, paranoia, misunderstanding, bs in the head that you need to take care of that you did not know you had to, that the mental and physical illness excacerbates. To the point where the mind just wants some rest, and will follow a line of thought, no matter how stupid or crazy, that will give it some peace, so they don't have that anguish tearing into them.
It's only after the fact sometimes, that you can piece together how you arrived at behaviour you would think was out of your scope of behaviour.
It's not a case of saying 'i was going nuts' and looking for absolution along the lines of a sanity plea, but more along the lines of diminished responsibility, ie not the usual circumstances when the events takes place.
You can have many, many thoughts and notions going through your mind causing all sorts of anguish while you are sick, clashing togther and causing you to come up with crazy notions and theories.
When you look back and try to piece together how you could act in an unthinkable way, and realise yes, they did play a factor, you must be brutally honest with yourself and admit they were not the only things of course, you were also at fault, and bear a lot of responsibility too. It's not a case of trying to avoid guilt, you have to be fair to yourself too, just as you should also be very hard on yourself for the bs you had in your mind in the first place that the mental illness/sickness exacerbated.

Just talking in general terms about mental and physical illness as I have experienced it. Just tossing off the line 'yeah, they were going nuts', with a shrug, could be construed as you saying the person is pretending or trying to get away with behaviour that is unacceptable. It could also suggest that you don't have any insight into what they were going through, or that you do, but just don't care.

Last edited:
You should have got her phone number (given that you had her full name, address etc it shouldn't have been that difficult to find), rang her & told her to come to you.

I found a wallet before that had a large amount of money in it, ID etc. I got the woman's number rang her & told her my address. She brought me flowers, chocolates & gave me £50 of the £300 from her wallet for returning it. She was a beast though so I didn't invite her in.. but pretty polite. She also looked pretty rich as well.. I doubt she'd have missed the money, but still.. it's nice to be nice.

kudos to you for turning it back in.

Also, never stole anything. I found money, I considered keeping it.

If there is a way to locate the original owner, it's theft whether or not you found it. Now if it was a wad of cash with nothing else, that's fair game.

Fortunately you did the right thing. Integrity is what you do when no one else is looking. It would have been nice if the woman was grateful, but doing good deeds to be thanked or rewarded isn't the reason to do them.

You did the right thing, I'm sorry she was so unappreciative :csad:

If there is a way to locate the original owner, it's theft whether or not you found it. Now if it was a wad of cash with nothing else, that's fair game.

Fortunately you did the right thing. Integrity is what you do when no one else is looking. It would have been nice if the woman was grateful, but doing good deeds to be thanked or rewarded isn't the reason to do them.

Get out. :cmad:

Bigger question...was she cute and did you think that $400 and her returned wallet was going to get you some pootie?

The few people I told this tale to would always ask this very question.

No. She was not attractive. Not ugly, but...not anything. So I knew I was returning this to an "average" woman. Didn't really factor at all, deciding based on her looks. :doh: sarcasm, jk

You should go back, kick down the door, and take her money for her insolence.

I'll try. Other than her bizarre reaction (or lack of), I'm also overthinking how I had to make myself kicking and screaming do that right thing.

I always thought I was the kind of guy who would do the right thing, then when finally a situation comes along, I find myself tempted to do the exact opposite. Its just so easy to say you'd do one thing, until you're forced to actually act, and then I come close to doing the opposite. I do the right thing, and its bothering me. I don't know what's wrong with me other than...I'm not a good person...

1. You did the right thing, regardless of how she reacted.

2. There's nothing wrong with being tempted to do wrong. It's only when you give into that temptation that wrong is committed. Being tempted doesn't make you a bad person . . . just human.

On 2nd thought, mug her when she comes out. Make sure you are wearing a mask!

shoulda kept the money and anonymously mailed everything back, ha ha. nah, i woulda returned it all.

I agree with everyone citing confusion for the less than warm reception, also what time was this at, that could've contributed to it too.

Sucks that the cash was inside a wallet, my girlfriend and I found just a wad of cash on the street over the summer, no way to track the person down so we took it and used it to see the A-Team and dinner.

Haha, I'm certain.

On an unrelated topic, I actually just found a 20 crumpled on the subway stairs this morning, with no ID. So you can be happy with me Wolf for keeping it. :awesome:

I would've kept the money and given her the wallet back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"