I Just Found $400...

Reaction score
I was walking home from work tonight for my lunchbreak. I live about ten minutes away from my job and I get an hour. On my way, I found a woman's black wallet on the ground. I've found many wallets and purses lying in the streets before and usually their empty; plus it just looks tacky being seen pickig up stuff like this on the streets. But its dark, and I wanted to humor myself. So I open the wallet. First thing I see is at least a hundred dollar bill in front of more money.

I quickly put the wallet into my pocket and continue home. Once there I open up the wallet and check the contents. There was easily over $400 inside. I lucked out. Then I saw the rest of the contents. The wallet had an ID of a woman named Jessica and it included her address. She lived, literally, in the building behind me. It also held her insurance card, social security card, and other important, identity-theft-worthy items. And stil the $400+.

It took me twenty minutes to decide what to do with this. I constantly argued to myself (in a low voice) whether to keep the cash and ditch the rest, or be a good person and return the wallet intact. Even when I began my trip to her apartment, I still stopped and went back home to further think things over. I was very torn between getting away with a decent sum, or doing the right thing. I really wouldn't have lost sleep over keeping the cash.

After wasting a good portion of my lunch contemplating, I finally, FINALLY commit to returning her wallet. After a eight minute walk (at the time, I didn't realize her building was the one behind me, so I walked in a huge circle for nothing), I arrive to Jessica's door.

I knock. A little girl comes to the closed door. "Who is it?"

I give her my name and ask to speak with Jessica. TWO minutes it took for Jessica to come to the door. She asks who it is. I give her my name and tell her I'm tryig to return her wallet that I found. She sounds confused, as if she didn't even know her wallet, ID, and money was missing. She hesitates to open the door, and when she finally does, she holds out her hand. I hand over her possessions. She looks at it for a few seconds, and in a very dry, nonchalant, almost "whatever-ish" tone, simply says "thanks", and closes the door.

At no point did she sound sincerely happy about what just happened. Her facial expression was very stoic and uncaring. As if she didn't appreciate the act that just happened and that she was spared some serious money and identity problems. Just like that, with very little emotion and graditute, she closes the door and I'm standing there seriously trying to figure out "wtf just happened."

And I wasn't expecting a reward (why bother when I could have just kept the money). But a hug? A handshake? A "Oh, my god! Are you serious?!" A more sincere "Thank you"? A simple smile?! Was that too much to ask considering I could have benefited from this person's loss?

This experience has really been bugging me all night. I didn't even finish my tasks at work because I was too preoccupied by the replaying of these events in my head. It's bad enough I threw away free money, but worse still that this Jessica was so "blah" about having a more-than-decent sum of money, PLUS other important documents, returned to her. I honestly don't know what to expect from anyone who bothers to read through this wall of text. I usually don't bother typing anything like this. But it's killing me, and I know it shouldn't...

Last edited:
I'm glad it took you twenty minutes to decide whether or not you should steal her "free" money.

Last edited:
I never said I was a saint.

Also, never stole anything. I found money, I considered keeping it.

Last edited:
lol you're pissed because you weren't sprinkled with gratitude? you did the right thing, remember that instead of her reaction and move along bro.

I'll try. Other than her bizarre reaction (or lack of), I'm also overthinking how I had to make myself kicking and screaming do that right thing.

I always thought I was the kind of guy who would do the right thing, then when finally a situation comes along, I find myself tempted to do the exact opposite. Its just so easy to say you'd do one thing, until you're forced to actually act, and then I come close to doing the opposite. I do the right thing, and its bothering me. I don't know what's wrong with me other than...I'm not a good person...

WolfCypher, you did the right thing and the world is a better place because if it. I understand why it's bothering you. Given all that came with that wallet, you'd expect more gratitude for sure. And I'd also guess you were so torn about giving her the money because you could probably really use it (if not and you just wanted it to get some fun stuff...than ya, that's kinda bad). But you did the right thing and good for you for doing it.

Don't let it get to you. Some people are ungrateful and distrustful, but I'd argue that there are more people that are good and decent, which you would fall into the category of. So don't let it jade you. The more good people do, the better off we all are.

Last edited:
It's fair to expect a warm reception but you're missing the big picture. You gave up $400 and an identity to their rightful owner lmao at the end of the day your actions make up for your hesitation. If you're gonna beat yourself up over anything it shouldn't be over the fact that you almost didn't do the right thing, or even that you didn't get a proper thanks... it should be over the fact that you lost out on $400+. :p

You should've knocked on the door and asked for it back.

Seriously, you did the right thing, so hold your head high. Don't worry about her lack of people skills.

The concierge at my building, he's this big amiable guy, and when I go out some nights around the bars or whatever, I'll get him a pizza or something on the way back to my building, drop it in his office. The first time I did it was because I was hungry when I left the pub but by the time I got back I just wanted to sleep. So I gave it him and he was so damned grateful about it. So now I do it when he's on. He's there all night, bored, eating soggy sandwiches, putting up with me and all the other city dwellers coming back to the building in varying states of inebriation. He does a good job. I don't mind. If he was ungrateful that first time then I simply wouldn't.

You may not find anything of hers again... but if that's her attitude to everyone, then it could very well catch up with her.

Honestly? I would have taken the money. I probably would have taken the money and left the wallet outside her front door if I wanted to clear my conscious.

She was probably most likely confused or even disturbed by the fact that you a stranger turned up at her door with her personal items for it to even sink in what REALLY happened. A similar thing happened to me once before where a boy left his buspass on the bus once so I picked it up and conveniently he had written his address on the the ID card so I returned it to him as his house was close to mine. I think it was his brother that answered to door but the reception was similar to the one you described.

Like everybody else has said it doesn't matter doing the right thing is all the comfort you need. Hey what do you expect you're on a Superhero board we were brought up watching heroes risk their lives for no reward :p

I agree with Casius--J on this one. You did the right thing Wolfcypher and have good reason to be proud of yourself. Her attitude is her problem (and may be caused by the same problems that made her lose her wallet in the first place).

Give yourself a pat on the back and a special treat (I would go with a full body rub), then go on with your life.

Next time write down all of their personal info so that if they're a ***** about you returning it and saving them you can still have some fun. :p

j/k

I don't know what's wrong with me other than...I'm not a good person...
Wrong. You're a conflicted, complicated person who still did whats right. Even Spider-Man doesn't WANT to do the right thing. You just do it because if you don't, guess what, you're a dick.

**** it. I would have kept the money, serves her right for being a moron and losing her personal belongings.

You did the right thing. Keep money that isn't yours is wrong.

Regardless if she shows any appreciation or not in the end you will be reward for doing the right thing :)

It's nice to know there are a few honest people out there, I'm proud of you. :up:

I found a wallet with $100 and I turned it into the police immediately.

You did the right thing. Nearly anyone would hesitate with that kind of money involved but sadly the number who'd take the high road and return it is probably far less. I know if I lost my wallet I wouldn't expect to see it again.

Still, a simple thank you from the ungrateful cow isn't out of the question. I can see how something like that would nag at you. :cmad:

You did the right thing. Nearly anyone would hesitate with that kind of money involved but sadly the number who'd take the high road and return it is probably far less. I know if I lost my wallet I wouldn't expect to see it again.

Still, a simple thank you from the ungrateful cow isn't out of the question. I can see how something like that would nag at you. :cmad:
Even though it's perfectly normal to expect or even desire a gracious response, you always have to remember you have no idea of what a strangers circumstances are. Does she have some kind of debilitating social anxiety? Is she in trouble/experiencing extenuating circumstances? Who knows.

I would just go with the theory that she was nuts, and leave it at that. Makes it easier to just forget about it.

Most people hit the nail on the head, but Casius J, especially. She was probably confused. You turned up at her apartment with a wallet that she didn't even seem to realize was missing (if I misplace my wallet I can go as long as a couple days without even realizing its gone). There was probably a good bit of confusion involved but my guess is that after the fact, she probably felt bad for the way she treated you. And if not, **** her. You did the right thing, that's all that matters. :up:

You did the right thing and it's nice seeing there are still wonderful people in this world. I'm proud of you. She was either confused or lacked manners either way forget her reaction and think how great you are. :)

I was walking home from work tonight for my lunchbreak. I live about ten minutes away from my job and I get an hour. On my way, I found a woman's black wallet on the ground. I've found many wallets and purses lying in the streets before and usually their empty; plus it just looks tacky being seen pickig up stuff like this on the streets. But its dark, and I wanted to humor myself. So I open the wallet. First thing I see is at least a hundred dollar bill in front of more money.

I quickly put the wallet into my pocket and continue home. Once there I open up the wallet and check the contents. There was easily over $400 inside. I lucked out. Then I saw the rest of the contents. The wallet had an ID of a woman named Jessica and it included her address. She lived, literally, in the building behind me. It also held her insurance card, social security card, and other important, identity-theft-worthy items. And stil the $400+.

It took me twenty minutes to decide what to do with this. I constantly argued to myself (in a low voice) whether to keep the cash and ditch the rest, or be a good person and return the wallet intact. Even when I began my trip to her apartment, I still stopped and went back home to further think things over. I was very torn between getting away with a decent sum, or doing the right thing. I really wouldn't have lost sleep over keeping the cash.

After wasting a good portion of my lunch contemplating, I finally, FINALLY commit to returning her wallet. After a eight minute walk (at the time, I didn't realize her building was the one behind me, so I walked in a huge circle for nothing), I arrive to Jessica's door.

I knock. A little girl comes to the closed door. "Who is it?"

I give her my name and ask to speak with Jessica. TWO minutes it took for Jessica to come to the door. She asks who it is. I give her my name and tell her I'm tryig to return her wallet that I found. She sounds confused, as if she didn't even know her wallet, ID, and money was missing. She hesitates to open the door, and when she finally does, she holds out her hand. I hand over her possessions. She looks at it for a few seconds, and in a very dry, nonchalant, almost "whatever-ish" tone, simply says "thanks", and closes the door.

At no point did she sound sincerely happy about what just happened. Her facial expression was very stoic and uncaring. As if she didn't appreciate the act that just happened and that she was spared some serious money and identity problems. Just like that, with very little emotion and graditute, she closes the door and I'm standing there seriously trying to figure out "wtf just happened."

And I wasn't expecting a reward (why bother when I could have just kept the money). But a hug? A handshake? A "Oh, my god! Are you serious?!" A more sincere "Thank you"? A simple smile?! Was that too much to ask considering I could have benefited from this person's loss?

This experience has really been bugging me all night. I didn't even finish my tasks at work because I was too preoccupied by the replaying of these events in my head. It's bad enough I threw away free money, but worse still that this Jessica was so "blah" about having a more-than-decent sum of money, PLUS other important documents, returned to her. I honestly don't know what to expect from anyone who bothers to read through this wall of text. I usually don't bother typing anything like this. But it's killing me, and I know it shouldn't...

You did the right thing...except next time wait 5 years before giving it back. Then she would be surprised.

Bigger question...was she cute and did you think that $400 and her returned wallet was going to get you some pootie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"